1 2 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 7:41 AM by Roei Tzoref

Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?

markceshleman Level 1

I work with a band and we do a lot of promotional pieces/graphics in AE. In CC 2014 I was able to drag with my mouse and hold COMMAND to scrub audio at any pace I wanted to find specific drum hits and note cues for edits/markers. In CC 2015 the playback skips and tries to render previous frames behind the playhead if I scrub at any speed slower than real time. 

SPECS: AE CC 2015 - Late 2013 Mac Pro - 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Memory - 1TB Storage.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

There has been a little-known feature in After Effects, for a very long time, that holding the Cmd/CTRL key while clicking on the CTI _but not moving it_ will loop a small range of frames around the CTI position.

In previous versions of After Effects, there was small delay before this functionality kicked in. In After Effects CC 2015, there is no delay. The code for previewing, including audio scrubbing, was re-written in this version; I'm not sure the reason for the change, but the developer writing the code may have considered the delay a bug.

My guess is that you're moving the mouse slower than the threshold for this behavior to kick in.

Do you find this functionality useful? Now that you're aware of it, do you think we need to adjust the threshold?

• 2. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
            Joshuaj85 Level 1

hi!

the treshold is far too tight - I have been happily animating lots of lip sync in AAE CC14, and now it's much much harder - how can i work round this?

• 3. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
              Felix Mack

I agree - for doing music related animations I have used the scrubbing a lot in previous versions, and in CC15 it is practically unusable. Either increasing the threshold significantly, or mapping it to a different key would be great to restore it's functionality!

• 4. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                adamneer Level 2

Don't know if this is relevant anymore with 2015, but my method of choice for audio markers has always been to drop down the waveform of the audio track for quick reference, then use the "." key on the numpad diligently to preview and re-view my marker locations.  Don't know if this method would be any more effective in your case, but it's something to try if you haven't already.

• 5. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                  Felix Mack Level 1

I'd like to add another issue to this when trying to scrub - in my case, the pti disappears after I hold down command and it plays the mini preview loop.

It will then be gone for all types of previews other than the mini command loop until i restart the app.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) , 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 10.10.3

• 6. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                    Felix Mack Level 1

I do this method as well, but in CC15 hitting period to do the audio preview skips the first second or so, rendering it useless for syncing audio. . . See this link AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?

• 7. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                      adamneer Level 2

ah, well then that really does screw things up. I guess until they put out a .1 update to fix it, you'd be better off marking up your footage in Premiere first and exporting your markers...

• 8. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?

Thomas Dodd wrote:

how can i work round this?

Afraid that I don't have a workaround for you at the moment. Sorry.

I do agree with you that we need to re-evaluate this. I've filed a bug and hope to hear from the developer soon.

Felix Mack wrote:

I'd like to add another issue to this when trying to scrub - in my case, the pti disappears after I hold down command and it plays the mini preview loop.

It will then be gone for all types of previews other than the mini command loop until i restart the app.

This is a known bug with audio scrubbing, but you can recover from it.

The problem occurs when you hold Cmd/CTRL to audio scrub and you let go of the mouse button before you let go of the Cmd/CTRL key; the CTI and PTI will disappear.

You can bring the CTI and PTI back by Cmd/CTRL + scrubbing again, but then let go of the Cmd/CTRL key before you let go of the mouse.

Felix Mack wrote:

I do this method as well, but in CC15 hitting period to do the audio preview skips the first second or so, rendering it useless for syncing audio. . . See this link AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?

Note that the missing audio is can be avoided by disabling the new option in Preferences > Previews, Mute Audio When Preview Is Not Real-Time. If you disable this, the audio delay will not occur, but when playback is not real-time the audio will stutter. Note that the stuttering audio in the not real-time case is intentional: in After Effects CC 2015 we fixed the audio clock so that it stays in sync with the video, but that meant addressing what happens with audio when it is out of sync.

But to be clear, there is a bug here: the problem is that frame rate is slow to ramp up real-time. Thus, when the preference is enabled, audio doesn't play until playback has finally ramped up. We are working on an update that will address this and other bugs.

• 9. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                          Joshuaj85 Level 1

Thanks for your speedy response, Tim - I'll stick with 2014 for now until the animated film I have been working on is done, just for the lip sync capability - hopefully the threshold will be sorted at some stage soon!

many thanks

• 10. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                            Jess P Level 1

The way I was using this feature (in 2014) was to sync audio with character's mouths.  I would hold Ctrl to scrub through, sometimes very slowly to find specific parts of words.  Now this isn't really possible.  Maybe a solution would be to have the CTRL key for scrubbing and the ALT key for looping?  Something like that.

• 11. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                              Joshuaj85 Level 1

Yeah exactly the same for me too Jess - being able to scrub through really finely to find specific sounds (and then keyframe the corresponding mouth shape) was vital, which CC2015 has wrecked! I reinstalled 2014 and using that for now

• 12. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                Jess P Level 1

Yeah.  I still have 2014 installed, so I'll just keep using it for those projects till this gets sorted out.  

• 13. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                  Felix Mack Level 1

Thanks for the tip on getting the pti back.

I unchecked the preference, and while it improves the performance, sometimes the stuttering still happens, as you noted. One other thing I noticed just now is that in cc14 and previous versions, when you do the audio preview the playhead would always jump back to the original in point when you stop the preview. In CC15 it seems that pressing '.' is more like pressing play/pause (space bar), and the play head stops at its current position in the comp instead of going back to the original in point. Can this behavior be changed?

thanks

• 14. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?

Jess Purviance wrote:

Maybe a solution would be to have the CTRL key for scrubbing and the ALT key for looping?  Something like that.

Alt/Option is already used for dynamically disabling/enabling the Live Preview option.

I think the better solution is for us to fix the threshold of the delay before the loop behavior engages. Happy to hear other suggestions, though.

Felix Mack wrote:

Thanks for the tip on getting the pti back.

I unchecked the preference, and while it improves the performance, sometimes the stuttering still happens, as you noted.

I want to reiterate that we're talking about two different things here: audio dropout, which is a bug; and audio stuttering when playback is slower than real-time, which is a newly designed behavior.

If the stuttering doesn't feel right to you, I do invite you to suggest other solutions to the issue of how to maintain audio sync for the slower than real-time case. We did talk this through with our prerelease users, and the consensus was that stuttering would be better than slowing down the samples or just cutting out audio entirely. That said, we've also received feedback that the stuttering itself could be better, possibly fading the samples out so the transitions aren't so janky. Please let us know what you think.

Felix Mack wrote:

One other thing I noticed just now is that in cc14 and previous versions, when you do the audio preview the playhead would always jump back to the original in point when you stop the preview. In CC15 it seems that pressing '.' is more like pressing play/pause (space bar), and the play head stops at its current position in the comp instead of going back to the original in point. Can this behavior be changed?

I see that, and we've received feedback from other users about that, and we're investigating what the best solution is here.

In the meantime, you can work around this by using the 0 key on the number pad to stop the preview. This will leave the CTI at the previous position.

• 15. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                      Jess P Level 1

Tim Kurkoski wrote:

Alt/Option is already used for dynamically disabling/enabling the Live Preview option.

I think the better solution is for us to fix the threshold of the delay before the loop behavior engages. Happy to hear other suggestions, though.

Yeah, that should work for me.  Thanks.  I expect a full patch by the end of today! 

(I didn't know about the ALT/Option Live Update thing)

• 16. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                        Felix Mack Level 1

How about keeping it on the same key and making it a preference checkbox option if you want it to behave like a scrub or the loop? I never knew that it was used for anything but scrubbing, so I suspect people are prone to use it as an either or kind of thing. Or as you said just make the threshold the same it was previously...

Regarding the audio dropping out on non realtime play back, I think that is fine. I believe I misread the issue the first time - if the ramp up to real time will be fixed, then this will not be an issue.

• 17. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                          gemmag Level 1

I'm also having this issue which is making animating mouths to dialogue virtually impossible, has this been fixed yet?

• 18. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                            _Jael_ Level 1

Having the same problem with the audio stuttering. This is a major impediment to voice-synch animation. Please up the urgency on fixing this bug ASAP. Thanks!

• 19. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                              beardo9973 Level 1

I'll +1 this as an impediment to switching over in full. The full audio preview is very nice but I am unable to use AE CC 2015 for lip-syncing animated dialogue. Going to stick with AE CC 2014 until there is a fix. Thanks!

• 20. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                                cartoonmario Level 1

I just finished editing my first video in CC 2015 and the decimal key used to play audio instantly. Now it skips ahead and I counted  10 second delays each time I press it before it even starts. And of course, they deleted CC 2014 from my hard drive on install, so I can't go back to that. Thanks for making deadline pressure even more crushing and stressful.

• 21. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?

cartoonmario wrote:

I just finished editing my first video in CC 2015 and the decimal key used to play audio instantly. Now it skips ahead and I counted  10 second delays each time I press it before it even starts. And of course, they deleted CC 2014 from my hard drive on install, so I can't go back to that. Thanks for making deadline pressure even more crushing and stressful.

You can reinstall previous versions at any time:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html#topic-3

Have you disabled the new Mute Audio When Preview Is Not Real-Time option in Preferences > Previews? That should eliminate the delay in audio starting to play.

• 22. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mario wrote:

And of course, they deleted CC 2014 from my hard drive on install,

They didn't delete anything. There's an option on updating to keep old versions of CC. Next time, just click it! keeping previous versions installed when installing CC 2015 applications | After Effects region of interest

As Tim says, you can install older versions of software with CC. Heck, you can install CS6 if you really want to!

• 23. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                                      paperbrain Level 1

I've read through this whole thread and agree 100% that it's virtually impossible to do character lip sync in cc 2015.  I've been scrubbing audio (holding down the command key) for years with my audio work in AE, and will be going back to cc 2014 until an option is available to scrub on the exact frame again without also previewing earlier frames. 

• 24. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                                        Zulkifar2 Level 1

I'd like to have the pointer back in position like in CC 2014.

That was really handy!

• 25. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                                          MrSky Level 1

I don't know if this is best here, or in a new thread, but it's related:

It also used to be possible to place markers in real time while audio played.  I could basically tap along to a music track and leave markers at key points in a song.  Now AE either stops to think as soon as you place a marker, or worse, it keeps acting like it's playing but skips the next few seconds of audio.  This is even after I deselected the (otherwise very helpful) "Mute Audio When Preview Is Not Real-Time" option.

Just thought you might want to add that in the same place on your bugs list!  I can put that in a new thread if it's better, but it seems closely related to what's here.

• 26. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                                            MrSky Level 1

To be fair, I think this is the first update that defaulted to removing the old version.   

• 27. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                                              Felix Mack Level 1

I just noticed this behavior (place markers in real time interrupting audio) as well and it makes working with audio even more difficult. I suppose this makes using cc15 impossible until these issues are addressed. . .

• 28. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                                                MrSky Level 1

My (slightly tedious) workaround is to place markers in either 2014 or even Audition, and then open the same file in 2015.  That works alright, since Audition exports markers and 2015 files are back compatible (woot woot).  It makes it a little hard to place markers on the fly while you work, but it's fine for projects where you can set all of your markers at the very beginning.  It'll be nice when it's back as a capability in AE, though.

1 person found this helpful
                                                                • 29. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                                                  Felix Mack Level 1

Right, but if I am doing 90% of my workflow in cc14, it seems pointless to even switch to cc15 to finish. So far, I haven't seen a feature in cc15 I definitely must use. The new preview seems like a very cool improvement, but not until it actually works with the missing features added back in...

• 30. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                                                    GSPFilmworks Level 1

Tim,

As a suggestion, I'd like to see an option/preference to not have the play head advance at all with either the "0" or maybe a user mapped key. The style in which I work is a mix of most people who've already posted here. I scrub audio, use "." to play audio only, "0" to render preview without playing back and even save a RAM preview to a file. Simply, I find the preview's insistence to ALWAYS playback annoying. It seems the preview render is actually bottle-necking once the play head catches up to the non-rendered section of the timeline, far more noticeable than before. This is why on final render many use Caps lock as this speeds up the output by not having to render/display live view. Yes, turning off the audio for non-realtime playback helps not be as annoying, but then I have to turn it back on again in order to work on fine-tuning the timing of the graphics due to the audio startup delay, which is simply a pain in the butt.

I had a rant about non-helpful suggestions of "You can always go back to CC 2014", but that, too, isn't helpful.

• 31. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?

GSPFilmworks wrote:

As a suggestion, I'd like to see an option/preference to not have the play head advance at all with either the "0" or maybe a user mapped key. The style in which I work is a mix of most people who've already posted here. I scrub audio, use "." to play audio only, "0" to render preview without playing back and even save a RAM preview to a file. Simply, I find the preview's insistence to ALWAYS playback annoying. It seems the preview render is actually bottle-necking once the play head catches up to the non-rendered section of the timeline, far more noticeable than before. This is why on final render many use Caps lock as this speeds up the output by not having to render/display live view. Yes, turning off the audio for non-realtime playback helps not be as annoying, but then I have to turn it back on again in order to work on fine-tuning the timing of the graphics due to the audio startup delay, which is simply a pain in the butt.

Thanks for the feedback. Would a function like Premiere Pro's "Render Work Area" command be suitable? Would it be OK to lock out the UI while this rendering is happening, or would you want to be able to continue to work? The danger here is that if you're able to modify the composition at the same time rendering is happening, you will invalidate that render.

• 32. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                                                        GSPFilmworks Level 1

Actually, That’d work nicely, now that I think about it, as long as we can kill the process as it’s going by hitting space or clicking somewhere. Even if that early stoppage invalidates the current render, I’d be busting it to make an immediate change anyway.

At first I thought the idea of working while the preview is going was cool, but the reality of it is more of an annoyance to me. Make a change, wait for the update, make another change, wait for the update all the while fighting the CTI wastes more time than if I can quickly render a few frames to set the effect, make my change and then render the work area. I’d sacrifice the live work/preview ability to have a dedicated, faster preview render any day. Better still, have the current preview and this alternate method available as preferences for the user.

Thanks for listening.

--G

• 33. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                                                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

FWIW, I just saw an initial check-in by a software developer to fix the audio scrubbing issue. We seem to be on track for getting a fix out in July.

• 34. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                                                            Felix Mack Level 1

Thanks, that is great news - looking forward to switching over to cc15 soon!

• 35. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                                                              Jess P Level 1

Thanks for the update!

• 36. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                                                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update is available, which fixes this issue: http://adobe.ly/1Il5JYe

• 37. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                                                                  GSPFilmworks Level 1

Hi Todd,

Thanks for informing me of the update, however the CC app isn't seeing the update as being available.

Any ideas as to why this is?

• 38. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                                                                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Sign out of Creative Cloud and then back in to force a refresh of available updates.

• 39. Re: Audio Scrubbing in CC 2015?
                                                                                      davidclabaugh

It would be reeeeeeealy helpful if there was a way to sort of freeze audio that isn't embedded in video. Most of my workflow involves setting up the audio timing first, then adjusting my video and mo graph accordingly, more often than not the audio is coming from its own source. Many DAW's have an option to freeze audio or cache it so that it isn't taking up RAM while editing other parts, this kind of function in AE would help my workflow a lot. I really like the inclusion of sound in the new preview functionality, but it slows things down tremendously and eats up my entire 46Gb cache way quicker than before. I now spend a lot of time either waiting for the sound to render in preview or clearing my disk cache.

1 2 Previous Next