5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2016 10:01 PM by CoSA_DaveS

FAQ: How do I save my project?

CoSA_DaveS Adobe Employee

You don't have to! In Character Animator, your project is always saved. You can quit at any time. And you can even undo and redo your changes after quitting and re-launching.

To duplicate your project, choose File > Save As and pick a new name and/or location. This will duplicate artwork that has been gathered into the project, but not other artwork, which will continue to be referenced in its original location. The history will also be cleared.

To share an entire project with someone, choose File > Copy Media Files into Project Folder so all artwork is self-contained in the project. Then choose File > Reveal Project in Finder/Explorer and share the folder that comes up as selected.

Message was edited by: David Simons, updated for Preview 4

• 1. Re: FAQ: How do I save my project?
          cmaue

Any Plans to change this to a more clear project structure in the future?  Using something with an obfuscated project structure is not a great option for client projects, especially when it comes time to archive.

• 2. Re: FAQ: How do I save my project?

Please explain in detail how this scheme is not working well for you. It's very similar to how Lightroom projects have worked for years. Note regarding referenced files: for archiving or sharing a project including all the source files, use the File > Copy Media Files into Project Folder command.

• 3. Re: FAQ: How do I save my project?
              alexanderp79824549

It would be great if there were a way to export the scene as movie file or directly into AfterEffects and PremierePro.

• 4. Re: FAQ: How do I save my project?
                arashmaz Level 1

In preview 4 there's a 'Save As' option in the drop down. I'm not sure if it was there in previous versions?

So if someone is wanting to share a scene + media files with other people can they simply 'Save As' or should they File > Copy Media Files into Project Folder then File > Reveal Project in Finder/Explorer and then duplicate the folder that comes up?

• 5. Re: FAQ: How do I save my project?

The new File > Save As command allows you to duplicate/rename/move a project. It will copy any artwork that already has been gathered into the project folder, but other artwork will continue to be referenced in its original location. So, as you guessed, if you want to share with someone, you have to use the File > Copy Media Files into Project Folder and then File > Reveal Project in Finder/Explorer and then duplicate (or zip) the folder that comes up that containing Ch Media, Ch Data, and <name>.chproj.

The next release will include ".puppet" export/import, which does all this in one step (for a single puppet).