24 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2015 5:45 AM by dm_designer

press space to stop preview

lemurmotion

The new preview in AE 2015 i great. One thing bothers me though: when I press space I really do want the preview to stop playing but with AE´s new "don't interrupt" feature it just keeps playing. It´s a royal pain when trying to set timing etc.

How can I make it so, when I press Space during a preview, the preview stops?

Regards

/Lemur Motion

• 1. Re: press space to stop preview
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does it stop when you press Esc?

• 2. Re: press space to stop preview
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

When a preview is building its cache, the first press of the key stops the building of the cache and starts the looping of the preview. The second press stops.

more details:

all about previews in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) | After Effects region of interest

• 3. Re: press space to stop preview
              AlexEngland

Hi Todd, I am not experiencing this. Regardless of how many times I press Spacebar, nothing happens and After Effects continues building the preview. I have to wait until it has reached the end of the work area before I am able to play back my media. It has made it almost impossible to use After Effects as it completely locks up, and I am unable to do anything.

Additionally, Szalam, pressing Esc does not stop the preview.

• 4. Re: press space to stop preview
                awiltgen

I am also having this issue. I can't stop the preview until the entire work area plays out. Extremely annoying and makes After Effects impossible to use. Most of my comps are 4k footage needing tracking and graphics. If I can't stop preview with precision, I will be doing everything frame by frame soon.

Please let me have my old Preview controls back. I've tried the option click to revert the Preview Panel to old behavior but nothing works.

• 5. Re: press space to stop preview
                  Ben King L&F

Yep whatever the "enhancements" have gone into to making "preview" have royally messed up AE.

To make matters worse  in precisely the same way Alex and Awiltgen are; I'm also having this stupid "don't interrupt me when I'm sluggishly rendering a preview to RAM for you until I'm done ok" attitude from AE making some projects unworkable.

With a single layer HD file it "just about" responds as suggested in the literature but with 2K and 4K or complex comps it gets stuck and the whole interface becomes unresponsive until it fills up the RAM for the preview and you cannot work at the same time as claimed.

FYI this is on a Mac Pro 12core Xeon 3.46Ghz 128GB RAM, TITAN-X 12GB, 2TB SSD 1200MBps Boot & Cache and 1000MBps RAID 6.

Basically Preview (caching to RAM) is no faster than RAM Preview the same project in cc2014 but with the additional unresponsiveness of the uninterruptible preview!

• 6. Re: press space to stop preview
                    vfx2go

This is seriously affecting my work too. This has made AE nearly impossible to use. Extremely aggravating. Pressing SPACE twice does nothing! ADOBE, your "improvement" may get me fired from a job!

• 7. Re: press space to stop preview
                      DavidM000

Agreed! I feel like this function is still in beta. It's finicky on Mac and PC. VERY FRUSTRATING for me and others I work with:

• Clicking space to stop OFTEN doesn't work.
                      • Sometimes while the bar is fully green and rendered, audio still lags and jumps. Even CS3 wouldn't do that, ram preview should be dependable
                      • Sometime it stutter plays audio while rendering- why on earth would I want to hear stuttering audio? Wait until it's fully green please. (I find myself clicking the mute button on and off all the time)
                      • Hitting period to play audio only usually lags and skips on the first 2 seconds, never had this problem before
                      • Holding ctrl and dragging the playhead used to be great for finding exact audio moments. Now it's TERRIBLE, it jumps back and forth, making the function unusable,
                      • When playing, the playhead red line doesn't move, I like to follow it along.

I feel like this feature was made for people who are used to pushing play in premiere. AE is a different software. I don't want to watch part of a render and have it stutter and skip, I want to see it all and I don't mind waiting a few more seconds for that.

PLEASE make this terrible feature just an option, and allow us to use RAM Preview if we want to.

• 8. Re: press space to stop preview
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> ADOBE, your "improvement" may get me fired from a job!

If you don't like the behavior of the current version, you can still use the previous version.

• 9. Re: press space to stop preview
                          DavidM000 Level 1

How do you download the previous version?

• 10. Re: press space to stop preview
                            Ben King L&F Level 2

"If you don't like the behavior of the current version, you can still use the previous version."

Not particularly helpful Todd - if you please reread the complaints you will see we are NOT complaining about the "intended" behaviour.

We are complaining that it does NOT work as advertised!

The fact it's not an isolated incident and that it appears to be a problem for many people on many systems means there is a bug in the coding and it's causing a great deal of stress. This needs to be rectified it is not simply a matter of saying "use old software" we now pay a subscription to guarantee the life and "improvements" of Adobe apps continues - we do not pay every month for basic functionality to be nerfed!

I've reported it as a bug which I advise the rest of you having this issue to do rather than simply complain here on the forums which whilst helpful to know we aren't alone is not the best place to report bugs.

Report this bug here: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 11. Re: press space to stop preview
                              AlexEngland Level 1

To clarify Todd, I am generally very pleased with the behaviour of the current version of After Effects CC (and Premiere Pro CC in addition). I have noticed significant improvements in speed and efficiency in the software in every area besides the preview functionality. As such, I would like to remain using the latest version of the software I pay a monthly subscription to access.

The issue I am having is that I essentially cannot stop playback when using After Effects. Is this an intended function of the preview feature? When using the software, I will make an edit, and want to view only a few frames to see it in motion, rather than previewing my entire work area.

Is there any way to force After Effects CC to stop previewing the work area if the usual means (pressing Spacebar, Esc, etc) are not working?

• 12. Re: press space to stop preview
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Is there any way to force After Effects CC to stop previewing the work area if the usual means (pressing Spacebar, Esc, etc) are not working?

See the second known issue here:

known issues in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) | After Effects region of interest

>

"If you don't like the behavior of the current version, you can still use the previous version."

Not particularly helpful Todd - if you please reread the complaints you will see we are NOT complaining about the "intended" behaviour.

I was just responding to the one person who said that the current version may get him fired. If the current version is causing one problems, then one can go back to the previous version until the problems are sorted.

• 13. Re: press space to stop preview
                                  Ben King L&F Level 2

Apologies Todd - I had indeed misread your reply. Hope it get's sorted soon - I am slightly in love with the face tracker!

• 14. Re: press space to stop preview
                                    vfx2go Level 1

I took your advice, Todd. Man, I feel like a dummy. Too many hours, losing my mind on a job, then to have an update stop you in your tracks. Back on track, now. Hopefully this issue is addressed and I get to enjoy all the bells and whistles of the new version soon!

• 15. Re: press space to stop preview

DavidM000 wrote:

How do you download the previous version?

How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015 | Adobe Customer Care Team

Ben King wrote:

I am slightly in love with the face tracker!

I keep forgetting about the face tracker! I'm too distracted by the snappier interface and the MUCH improved expression handling.

• 16. Re: press space to stop preview
                                        Senhay Level 1

You can also press double space at beginning if footage is prerendered.

With the next space it stops.

But it is very annoying.

ADOBE FIX THAT!

• 17. Re: press space to stop preview
                                          ACutadean

I have to agree, trying to time animations with audio cues is many times harder without a way to precisely stop the playhead. Is there any button one can hit to stop the playhead in place without double tapping the spacebar?  This morning I'm spending more time trying to find my sync points than actually getting any work done.

• 18. Re: press space to stop preview

This is going to be improved in the next update to AE: What’s new and changed in the upcoming update to After Effects CC 2015

• 19. Re: press space to stop preview
                                              dm_designer Level 1

So I should tell the entire team that we have to revert back?

Not exactly a good solution. I assume that I can open 2015 files in the previous version w/o issue?

Man I hope that update comes soon as this "improvement" ... is not intuitive at all and incredibly frustrating.

An option to turn it off will be most appreciated.

• 20. Re: press space to stop preview

dm_designer wrote:

So I should tell the entire team that we have to revert back?

You could. Thankfully, reverting isn't as big of an issue as it sounds because you can have CC 2014 and CC 2015 installed on the same system with no problems. In fact, I have CS5, CS6, CC, CC 2014, and CC 2015 all installed on my machine in my home studio and they all work fine.

dm_designer wrote:

I assume that I can open 2015 files in the previous version w/o issue?

Yes! It actually does work really well. You can open files created in either version with either version. They're both AE version 13.x, so project files work between the two of them with no problem. My normal workflow is to work in CC 2015 and then open files in CC 2014 to render with multiprocessing.

dm_designer wrote:

Man I hope that update comes soon as this "improvement" ... is not intuitive at all and incredibly frustrating.

An option to turn it off will be most appreciated.

I agree! The Adobe folks have said that the update is coming "at the end of the month", so it's less than a week away!

• 21. Re: press space to stop preview
                                                  dm_designer Level 1

Excellent feedback Szalam. Thank you.

I will hold for the update and if the issue persists, then we will all roll back.

Good points on using both - but I would assume running 2014 is an additional step.

We run BG Render on MP, depending on what that machine is doing.

Just working to keep the pipeline streamlined & simple.

Thanks man. Looking forward to that update.

Now to figure out the sticky keyframes and layers issue. 

Like the mouse has glue on it.

• 22. Re: press space to stop preview

dm_designer wrote:

Now to figure out the sticky keyframes and layers issue.

Like the mouse has glue on it.

Are you using Windows? If so, uncheck "Use Windows Ink" in the Wacom settings and see if that helps.

• 23. Re: press space to stop preview
                                                      dm_designer Level 1

on a pimped out mac pro - will check on that & post back

• 24. Re: press space to stop preview
                                                        dm_designer Level 1

The most recent update has resolved the issue - no rollback needed thankfully.

The goal of the one press two press render & preview was well intended.

However I don't believe it took into account the legacy workflow of many users with the space bar.

The 2nd click to stop the playback never seemed to work correctly either.

Shift-0 for previews has worked well for years. No need to change.

Thanks for advancing the software.

Much appreciated.

DM