8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2015 9:51 AM by osgood_

using compass with dreamweaver

sophocles77 Level 1

Hi - I have been using sublime text but now I have dreamweaver I want to start using it.

I usually work with Sass and Compass.

I have dreamweaver cs6.

I can see that there is information on the web about configuring dreamweaver for use with Sass.

Can I configure it for Compass as well?  A tutorial would be great!

Thanks

• 1. Re: using compass with dreamweaver
          BenPleysier Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You haven't stated if you are using compass in the Ruby environment or if you are using the Compass.app., but in either case, Dreamweaver cannot be configured for compass, nor is there any need to.

When you have Compass running in the background and you save a Sass file in Dreamweaver, compass will automatically compile the CSS.

• 2. Re: using compass with dreamweaver
            sophocles77 Level 1

Thanks Ben - Yes - I was just thinking that...  the compiling has nothing to do with Dreamweaver so why shouldn't it work - thanks for confirming.

TBH - I'm not sure that I'm going to learn Dreamweaver as I'm on cs6 and not cc and I imagine that with Dreamweaver, you need to be up to date to keep abreast with technology.  What do you think?

I got the cs6 for Photoshop and Illustrator - I normally hand code everything in sublime and I'm not sure the extra work of learning dreamweaver is worth it for an outdated version.  Can you lend your experience and give me your opinion?

What is the benefit of Dreamweaver over a text editor and does Dreamweaver cs6 help me with responsive designing?

Thanks

• 3. Re: using compass with dreamweaver
              osgood_ Level 8

sophocles77 wrote

What is the benefit of Dreamweaver over a text editor and does Dreamweaver cs6 help me with responsive designing?

There are zero benefits of using Dreamweaver IF you are a good hand-coder. Your hand-coding will create much much cleaner code than any html editor which offers plugins/extentions which claim to help make your workflow faster. What you will save in initial time will be minimal when you come to manage the code manually should you need to do anything which you cannot or do not want to do via design view.

It depend if you regard yourself as a 'seasoned' web-developer/designer who aspires to be better at what you do or one that is happy to use bloated code just to get the job done quickly and get paid for it.

As regards to responsive design DWC6 will NOT help you at all. Try DWCC 2015 it now contains the ability to include the Bootstrap framework by clicking inside the UI.

One word of warning though Bootstrap produces hugely bloated code:

A simple 3 panel accordion the Bootstrap coded way:

<div class="panel-group" id="accordion1">

<div class="panel panel-default">

<div class="panel-heading">

<h4 class="panel-title"><a data-toggle="collapse" data-parent="#accordion1" href="#collapseOne1">Collapsible Group 1</a></h4>

</div>

<div id="collapseOne1" class="panel-collapse collapse in">

<div class="panel-body">Content for Accordion Panel 1</div>

</div>

</div>

<h4 class="panel-title"><a data-toggle="collapse" data-parent="#accordion1" href="#collapseTwo1">Collapsible Group 2</a></h4>

</div>

<div id="collapseTwo1" class="panel-collapse collapse">

<div class="panel-body">Content for Accordion Panel 2</div>

</div>

</div>

<h4 class="panel-title"><a data-toggle="collapse" data-parent="#accordion1" href="#collapseThree1">Collapsible Group 3</a></h4>

</div>

<div id="collapseThree1" class="panel-collapse collapse">

<div class="panel-body">Content for Accordion Panel 3</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

A simple 3 panel accordion the hand-code way:

<div class="accordion1">

<h2>Collapsible Group 1</h2>

<div class="panel active">Content for Accordion Panel 1</div>

<h2>Collapsible Group 2</h2>

<div class="panel">Content for Accordion Panel 2</div>

<h2>Collapsible Group 3</h2>

<div class="panel">Content for Accordion Panel 3</div>

</div>

<!-- end accordion1 -->

I know which I prefer to be looking at when I come to manage my code.

• 4. Re: using compass with dreamweaver
                sophocles77 Level 1

thanks osgood - I'll stick to sublime...  a pity - i was quite excited to try Dreamweaver but I think I'm going to just stick to Adobe for Photoshop and Illustrator

• 5. Re: using compass with dreamweaver
                  BenPleysier Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I got the cs6 for Photoshop and Illustrator - I normally hand code everything in sublime and I'm not sure the extra work of learning dreamweaver is worth it for an outdated version.  Can you lend your experience and give me your opinion?

Many developers use both a text editor (Sublime Text or Brackets) and an IDE (Dreamweaver) in tandem. An IDE has a few advantages over a text editor but loses out on speed. IMHO, Stay with ST unless you want to learn DW.

If you do not wish to deploy third party extensions like CMS's and the like, then the only advantage in having DW is the fact that it has an inbuilt browser called Live view and it has an inbuilt FTP client. There are probably a few more advantages like a CSS Designer panel, but to be honest, I prefer to use Code view and rarely touch the CSS Designer panel.

As far as Bootstrap is concerned (mentioned by Osgood), it is very customisable using the LESS or SASS versions. Hence if you do not like the looks of the accordion code, don't include it, but use something else. The basic framework is merely a grid system that does not need ANY JS files. It is a pity that Osgood has highlighted a negative when Bootstrap has so many things going for it.

• 6. Re: using compass with dreamweaver
                    sophocles77 Level 1

Thanks Ben - for my grid I use Susy (although I'm thinking of hand coding my grid)- I was hoping Dreamweaver was going to be some fantastic solution to all my responsive design woes to take all the work out but I can see that there is no magic solution...  I just need to do the graft to get my head around it and Susy or hand coding are going to be my best bet!!!

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

I'm not sure I have the time to learn Dreamweaver and if it is not going to be a magic pill to solve all my problems then I'll just stick to illustrator and photoshop with adobe and sublime it for everything else!!!

• 7. Re: using compass with dreamweaver
                      osgood_ Level 8

Ben Pleysier wrote:

It is a pity that Osgood has highlighted a negative when Bootstrap has so many things going for it.

Hi Ben,

It's difficult for me not to highlite it, most components in Bootstrap come with similar code bloat.

What I would say is maybe just use the responsive grid, that's really the only advantage that maybe a hand coder would see as 'possibly' acceptable. I could probably live with the code needed to do that if I really had to change my workflow - fortunately for me I don't have to or not forced into doing that.

To be fair to you I can see why people use Bootstrap - to get the job done quickly - or at least get some sort of responsive construction on the page quickly. Thereafter its still a job tweaking the css and perhaps adding new media break points IF youre not happy with everything going into one column at 768px.

By the time you have completely changed the appearance of the vanilla Bootstrap theme you would have written more or less the same amount of ccs as you would do without Bootstrap, give or take a few positioning attributes.

Its not something for me at this moment BUT if you need to bang out responsive websites because you work in an environment where time is money or youre not that good at coding then I think thats probably where its advantage lie.

I don't think it has any attraction for those developers/designers that like to run a 'tight ship' and can manually code solutions.

• 8. Re: using compass with dreamweaver
                        osgood_ Level 8

sophocles77 wrote:

Thanks Ben - for my grid I use Susy (although I'm thinking of hand coding my grid)- I was hoping Dreamweaver was going to be some fantastic solution to all my responsive design woes to take all the work out but I can see that there is no magic solution...

Try the Bootstrap grid in DW CC2015, who knows it might be just what you are looking for. Just because I write negative comments about it doesn't mean that it's not exactly what you are looking for. We all have differing opinions and ways of working.

Edited.

Actually all you need to do is go to the Bootstrap site, get familar with the grid (you can just hand code that) in your editor to see if you like the way it works, you don't need to learn DW to do that - you're a hand coder.

I don't know Susy, it might a better grid system.