4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2015 1:44 AM by shreya

"Digital Editions could not connect to the fulfillment server. Please make sure you are connected to the Internet" error

mdbrady

When I try to open a book I get the "Digital Editions could not connect to the fulfillment server. Please make sure you are connected to the Internet" message and then "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."  No internet problems and this happens even if I have downloaded the book and attempt to open it as a file.  It also happens with books from http://www.adobe.com/solutions/ebook/digital-editions/sample-ebook-library.html.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the newest edition (4.03) and also gone back to version 3 with same results.  ADE has worked for me for years--I review pre-pub books on my blog, and cannot access them.  Using Windows 7.  Help!

• 1. Re: "Digital Editions could not connect to the fulfillment server. Please make sure you are connected to the Internet" error
          DemelzaPoldark

I started having the same problem this week.  ADE had worked fine until now.  Like you I started by not being able to connect to the fulfillment server.  I tried all the fixes, uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted, nothing worked, couldn't deauthorize my computer so resorted to the control shift d option, that deauthorized, but then I couldn't authorize my computer, got the error could not connect to the activation server.  I went through all the uninstalling, reinstalling several times (both ADE 3 & 4), and was getting very frustrated.  Finally I went into my admin account, ADE showed authorized there, tried to add a borrowed library book & it told me that I had to authorize, so I clicked on help, deauthorized, then authorized, the book transferred, plugged in my Kobo Glo & added the book to it.  When I logged off of my admin account & went back to the account I normally use, my ADE still shows that it isn't authorized & the book I added is not in my library.  So I guess I have to use it from my admin account on my computer.  It is kind of annoying, but at least I found a fix that actually worked for me.  There doesn't seem to be much in the way of support or customer service for free products like ADE, which is really unfortunate.  There is also an Overdrive download that allows you to read in your browser, it works for ebooks from our public library.

Some Windows updates have come through recently, but other than that no changes to my system.  I am thinking the Windows updates have something to do with my current issue

• 2. Re: "Digital Editions could not connect to the fulfillment server. Please make sure you are connected to the Internet" error
            mdbrady Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  I have admin rights on my computer, so that isn't an issue.  However, I decided to deauthorize and reauthorize my ADE.  When I tried, I got an error saying "Network error.  Check your internet connection and try again."  I did the Windows networking troubleshooter and tried to go to http://adobeid-na1.services.adobe.com/

The response I got was "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (adobeid-na1.services.adobe.com/) is not responding."

I turned off Windows firewall -- (adobe.com is whitelisted) and it made no difference.

I agree that Adobe seems to offer no support--I've even seen a couple of sites that say they have officially stopped supporting it.  IMHO, for a product that has no competitors, that is unacceptable.  If I can't make ADE work, I can't read several time-limited books that publishers are counting on me to review.

Glad that worked for you.  Hope somebody else has other ideas.

• 3. Re: "Digital Editions could not connect to the fulfillment server. Please make sure you are connected to the Internet" error
              DemelzaPoldark Level 1

Good luck with your problem.  It is really too bad there isn't any kind of competition out there.

• 4. Re: "Digital Editions could not connect to the fulfillment server. Please make sure you are connected to the Internet" error
                shreya Adobe Employee

try restoring internet explorer to default setttings:

Close any Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.

Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

Select the Delete personal settings check box if you would like to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, and InPrivate Filtering data.

In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.

When Internet Explorer finishes restoring the settings, click Close, and then click OK.

Close Internet Explorer.Your changes will take effect the next time you open Internet Explorer.

Reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/923737

Now LAunch ADE and try to authorize.