9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2015 7:41 AM by A.T. Romano

Where does PE13 Store Data?

HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

This is a "where does" rather than "how to" question...

I run Premier Elements 13 on a WIN7 PC - drive C: is an SSD (OS & applications stored here), drive D: is a big conventional disk.

Available space on the SSD is not exactly massive.

My raw video files & photos (jpg) are stored somewhat orderly in directories in disk D:.

I also store the project files (.prel) in the directory containing the raw files.

Questions:

1) When I import files into the organizer does it actually make a complete copy & where would this be stored?  C:?

If my raw files are already stored in an orderly fashion on my D: drive maybe I don't need the organizer?

2) When I have completed work on a project (thus having my final .prel file) is there any cleaning-up that can be done

to recover space (with the possibility of reviving the project at some later date)?

HEM

• 1. Re: Where does PE13 Store Data?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements doesn't move or copy your files when you import them into a project. It merely builds a link to them.

When you're done with your project, you can clear off the work files -- but the usually amount to negligible space.

The project work files will be in the same directory folder as your .prel project file, in the following sub-folders:

Adobe Premiere Elements Auto-Save

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files

Encoded Files

Layouts

Score Files

Styles

Of these folders, only the Preview Files are likely to be more than a few KB in size.

• 2. Re: Where does PE13 Store Data?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

HEM

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Windows 7 64 bit

Project file save location is set in the new project dialog (File Menu/New/Project.

Its default location is Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0. Typically the project file's size is small.

Scratch Disks locations are set in Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disk. I believe that the default is set for Same As Project.

Often Media Cache is found set at something other than Same As Project.

Conformed video files (mcdb) is found in the location designated under Edit Menu/Preferences/Media. I have not found the location of this Media Cache folder to be user controllable. It regenerates in its default location which is seen in Edit Menu/Preferences/Media.

When you import source media into the Premiere Elements Editor or the Elements Organizer, all you get are copies of the originals which remained stored at their hard drive save location. The Elements Organizer information is stored in its catalog. The Elements Organizer catalogs can be found

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Catalogs

I have many versions of Premiere Elements on my computer and many catalogs in the Catalogs Folder, yet the size of that Catalogs Folder is only 160 MB.

Please let us know if the above is the information that you sought. If not, please let us know what more information you need.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Where does PE13 Store Data?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Once again, kind of exactly what I said.

• 4. Re: Where does PE13 Store Data?
                HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

Thats all resassuring.  The fact that import into the organizer took a fair amount of taime made me think that is was copying BGs of HD video.

Seems not to be the case.

I'll digest the rest of the information...

HEM

• 5. Re: Where does PE13 Store Data?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Once again, what I wrote was not kind of exactly what you said..

ATR

• 6. Re: Where does PE13 Store Data?
                    HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

So summing up:

1. When I import into the Organizer its just creating links to the files already on my D: drive rather than making local copies.
                    2. In one directory where I have raw HD video files (.mts) & where I have stored the project files for this (.prel - I append a number each day to my project & increment this each day so that if disaster strikes I can go back) I see directories:
                      Adobe Premiere Elements Auto-Save
                      Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files  (only this one can have significant size)
                      Encoded Files
                      Layouts
                      Score Files  (but no Styles) and of course numerous .prel files.
                    3. When "finished" with the project I can remove the corresponding "Local Album" from the organizer and all the above directories retaining the final .prel file
                    4. At some stage I should test whether the final .prel file is sufficient to regenerate the project at a subsequent date (does one ever do this...)
                    5. On reflection, possibly what one does on project completion is to just remove the corresponding "Local Album" from the organizer & empty the Preview directory.
                    6. I confirm that on my system the C:/Program Data/Adobe/Elements Organizer/Catalogs directory occupies very little space.

So back to the task of editing videos...

• 7. Re: Where does PE13 Store Data?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

HOTELECHOMIKE

Thanks for the reply.

Just some just in case quick thoughts as you move on to editing your videos....

1. Avoiding pile ups of preview files, conformed video, and conformed audio (wherever they are) should be one of the major focuses. I have already mentioned where these files are automatically placed by the project generating them and where to set the locations for the folders that stores these files.

2. If you import a into a Premiere Elements project directly, copy of the file is typically automatically placed in the Elements Organizer workspace.

Best wishes

ATR

• 8. Re: Where does PE13 Store Data?
                        HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

1. Avoiding pile ups of preview files, conformed video, and conformed audio (wherever they are) should be one of the major focuses.

I'm unsure (= have no idea) what you mean by "pile ups of preview files" or of "conformed video, and conformed audio"...

• 9. Re: Where does PE13 Store Data?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

HOTELECHOMIKE

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify what I wrote

Avoiding pile ups of preview files, conformed video, and conformed audio (wherever they are) should be one of the major focuses

and how it relates to your recent post

I'm unsure (= have no idea) what you mean by "pile ups of preview files" or of "conformed video, and conformed audio"..

Every time you Timeline render a Timeline file (video or still), the project automatically places a preview file in the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder. The preview file in that Folder (does not matter if from Timeline video or still) will be:

If SD project: DV AVI file.

If HD project: MPEG2.mpg file with a companion .xmp informational file

These files can "pile up" into GB amounts if not managed.

And audio and video files are conformed by the program, automatically generating conformed audio (cfa and pek) files that will go to the Media Cache Files Folder and conformed video (mcdb) files that will go to the Media Cache Folder. The locations of these folders I have given in an earlier post in your thread.

These files can "pile up" into GB amounts if not managed.

ATR