10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2015 8:05 AM by A.T. Romano

Can't Burn to DVD on Mac

whitneyt46618589

I have Adobe Premiere Elements. I've completed my movie. When I try to burn it to a dvd, I get a message that reads "Disc Burning Error  --  could not start Disc burning project." If I click OK on this message (only option) and try to burn anyway, I get a second error message that reads "Unable to access location sequence 02/ for  creating temporary burning files." I don't know what this means or how to fix it. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Can't Burn to DVD on Mac
          A.T. Romano Level 7

whitney

What version of Premiere Elements on your Mac computer?

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, so let us see if we can translate the following Premiere Elements Windows information in Premiere Elements Mac.

Your message appears to be pointing to temporary burn files that are generated in the burn to disc process. These file disappear once the project is closed.

The location for these files is set in Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disk under the Disc Encoding category. In preferences, the present location of the Encoded Files Folder should be seen in Disc Encoding choice as well as the amount of free hard drive space at that location.

a. what is that location where the Encoded Files Folder is be found

b. how much free hard drive space there.

In Windows, the default location for the Encoded Files Folder is Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/11.0

You may want to review the Scratch Disks set up in general.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/scratch-disks.html

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can't Burn to DVD on Mac
            whitneyt46618589 Level 1

Thanks for this very prompt and thorough response. I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 13. You're right. When I open the program, I get an immediate error message: "The scratch disks are write protected or unavailable. To open this project, the scratch disks will be set to your My Documents folder. Would you like to continue"

After reading your message, I navigated to scratch disks on the preferences menu. There were six settings:

Captured video: same as project/users/whitney/desktop

Captured audio: same as project/users/whitney/desktop

Video Previews: My documents/users/whitney/documents/adobe/premiere elements/13.0

Audio Previews: My documents/users/whitney/documents/adobe/premiere elements/13.0

Media Cache: custom/users/whitney/documents/adobe/premiere elements/13.0

Disc Encoding: My documents/users/whitney/documents/adobe/premiere elements/13.0

I remember being asked if I wanted to save the project in My Documents at the very beginning and instead saving the project on my desk top. Maybe that explains why these things are stored in different places? Maybe that's the problem? If so, do you have a recommendation on how to fix it? Thanks again for the help.

• 3. Re: Can't Burn to DVD on Mac
              whitneyt46618589 Level 1

One last note: the preferences panel says that I have 632 GB of free hard drive space.

• 4. Re: Can't Burn to DVD on Mac
                A.T. Romano Level 7

whitney

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful information.

I am not seeing any problem with the scratch discs. But, I would ask

a. Are you doing a burn to DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc or burn to AVCHD format on DVD disc?

Just before you hit Burn in the burn dialog, what does the Quality Area of the burn dialog show for Space Required with and without a check mark next to the option for "Fit Content to Available Space"?

b. Can you do the burn to Folder (4.7) for whichever one you are doing, that is, DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or AVCHD on DVD? That would be important information.

Depending on how things go, we may look at the size of the project, project preset, other source properties. Does your project destined for disc include Movie Menus?

Let us see how you do with the burn to folder, and then decide which way to go with the troubleshooting.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Can't Burn to DVD on Mac
                  whitneyt46618589 Level 1

Okay, here's what I've got for you.

a. I am burning to DVD, not AVCHD

When the "Fit content" option is checked, the space required is 3.45 GB. Without option checked (and with slider at "most video") space required is 772 MB. It's a roughly 55 minute video.

b. Tried burning to folder but I get the same error messages

The project does include a movie menu.

Thanks so much for sticking with this.

• 6. Re: Can't Burn to DVD on Mac
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

whitneyt

We are temporarily going to de-focus from those temporary burn files. Do you have a DVD-RW so that you will not be using DVD discs for the troubleshooting. If you do, use them instead. Whatever you decide

a. Remove all the Timeline menu markers and remove the Movie Menu theme from the Movie Menu customization area of the project.

b. Try for the burn to Folder (4.7 GB). That will not use up a disc.

c. Is the burn to Folder (4.7 GB) successful? And, can you find the saved folder which should contain the OpenDVD Folder and VIDEO_TS Folder?

Let us see what result we get from that. Also, let me know what Movie Menu theme you used. How many Timeline markers...and, if stop markers, was one placed at the end of the last item on the Timeline?

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Can't Burn to DVD on Mac
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

whitneyt

Thanks for the reply but your message did not get posted in your thread.

Please try again when your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Can't Burn to DVD on Mac
                        whitneyt46618589 Level 1

ATR,

Sorry about that. I replied through an email that Adobe had sent me. They said it would get posted here, but I guess that didn't quite work.

Here's what I've done, based on your suggestions. First I created a different movie, using different video clips I had on my computer. I used no menu or markers and I was able to burn this movie to DVD with no problems.

Then I imported the original video file that I'd had problems with into Elements  --  in essence starting over again. I added no menu, used no timeline markers, and I was able to burn this video file to a folder with no problems. I'm assuming that I would also be able to burn it to a DVD.

So that all seems like good news to me. I seems like I just did something funky the first time that I imported that video file into Elements. Importing it a second seems to have fixed that issue.

I haven't yet tried adding a menu and timeline markers to the second "clean" import. I still want to be able to use those. But for now  --  unless you think I'm being premature  --  I'm going to consider this issue resolved and thank you for you excellent assistance. I appreciate it. (I'll come back if I can't get the menus to work.)

By the way: though I live in the States, I'm in Europe now with my wife and kids. Thus the long gaps between posts. I'm guessing that I'm working in a very different time zone than you are.

Best,

Whitney

• 10. Re: Can't Burn to DVD on Mac
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Whitney

Great news. And, great job working through the troubleshooting to achieve successful burn to disc.

As for time zones, I am in the United States, so I am guess-estimating that there is at least a 6 hour difference between us.

Looking forward to further developments as you schedule permits. All sounding very good.

Best wishes

ATR