15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2015 2:52 PM by adamneer

Can we have the old spacebar preview option back as well please?

samt87352138

sometimes full frame rate preview with audio is totally unnecessary (think of a project with massive numbers in Trapcode particular) The new preview options are great but the lack of a preview option that allows you to not cache audio is a real oversight. Can we have the default playback behaviour option back? even just as an option? if people don't want it, they don't have to turn it on!

• 1. Re: Can we have the old spacebar preview option back as well please?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This page covers the new previews in AE: all about previews in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) | After Effects region of interest

It also includes instructions for how to most closely resemble the old ways.

If the solutions on that page aren't what you want, file a feature request and explain in as much detail as possible what you liked about the older way of doing things and how the current way doesn't meet your needs.

• 2. Re: Can we have the old spacebar preview option back as well please?
            samt87352138 Level 1

Sorry but 'most closely' is not the same. I had already read through the feature changes, and the new preview customisations are great. What I have since discovered however is that even with the audio muted in the preview panel, audio is still cached. This can easily be demonstrated by muting the audio tracks, the delay before playback begins dramatically decreases. Obviously muting/unmuting tracks isn't an effective solution when you're aiming to work as efficiently as possible. The obvious solution is if the 'mute audio' button in the Preview panel also prevented audio caching.

I have submitted a feature request, hopefully I'm not the only one feeling this effect on their workflow and the issue will be rectified, I don't think it's asking for the moon! The rest of CC2015 seems fine, some really interesting new features, its only this one teeny tiny bugbear I have!

• 3. Re: Can we have the old spacebar preview option back as well please?

That sounds like an excellent feature request.

And yes! Some of these new features are great! Expressions work much better. Try using the Ouroboros effect in CC 2014 and then CC 2015, for example.

• 4. Re: Can we have the old spacebar preview option back as well please?
                davidc12461037

Why is it that Abobe feels the need to change something that has been standard for over 10 years and worked very well for the most annoying and useless upgrade ever.  What the f___ is the point of this?  I am constantly hitting space bar - as I used to, to let me see what the upcoming shot / effect is.  Now I have to wait 10, 20, 30 seconds for a bloody audio mix and preview, and then trying to stop this process - clicking on every button in the preview panel.

Come on Adobe - don't fix it unless it's broke!

• 5. Re: Can we have the old spacebar preview option back as well please?
                  samt87352138 Level 1

Yeah the double space stopping (once stops cache second stops playback) is unbelievably frustrating. Not sure if there's a way to make space bar stop both at once again? Anyone? If not then this definitely needs to be a feature request as well.

I'm intrigued to know the kind of users asking for features like this, and if no-one is, it does beg the question of why Adobe changed. I understand they know best how there programs technically work under the hood but in terms of actually working in the software all day every day... changes like this seem counter intuitive.

• 6. Re: Can we have the old spacebar preview option back as well please?

"Come on Adobe - don't fix it unless it's broke!"

It was broken.

Spacebar was the expected thing to press for a preview for newcomers, but it didn't play audio and it didn't play smoothly and it confused them resulting in frantic forum posts and tech support calls about AE being "broken on my fast machine".

This is all explained in more detail in the link I posted as well as how to return it to what you want.

Another broken thing that was fixed with this is that folks working on laptops (with no number pad to press 0 on for an actual preview) can now press spacebar to launch it.

• 7. Re: Can we have the old spacebar preview option back as well please?
                      samt87352138 Level 1

I'm in the middle of a project using very few expressions at the moment (one of the dullest explainer animations I've ever had to do!) but yeah, really looking forward to the new expression features, looks like one feature thats really going to make life easier!

• 8. Re: Can we have the old spacebar preview option back as well please?
                        davidc12461037 Level 1

Szalam - but it wasn't broken on any of the previous versions of After Effects 1 - 6 and the 2014 CC version.

I've been using AE since 1997 - you don't just change the way people work because you feel like it. It's arrogant.

• 9. Re: Can we have the old spacebar preview option back as well please?
                          samt87352138 Level 1

Yeah I'm sorry Szalam but "Spacebar was the expected thing to press for a preview for newcomers" is not a reason to change its functionality. Pandering to the uneducated rather than educating is how Apple ended up with Final Cut X.

• 10. Re: Can we have the old spacebar preview option back as well please?

sam turner wrote:

Pandering to the uneducated rather than educating is how Apple ended up with Final Cut X.

Hah! Also, true.

I actually really like the new previewing feature.

Press Esc, by the way, if you just want it to stop immediately.

• 11. Re: Can we have the old spacebar preview option back as well please?
                              samt87352138 Level 1

Esc is close... but jumps the CTI back, not exactly helpful. I'm really surprised you like the new previewing features, I'm yet to see any real way they've improved anything, it really does feel like it's a change for new users now you've mentioned, they're the only people i see benefiting. I'm getting bugs and glitches with my CTI when audio scrubbing as well which is problematic. The new previewing is lovely for watching a finished scene quicker and pressing one or two less buttons or clicks. but not for constructing it! I think this is the first change Adobe have made in years that has caused me a problem. Nothing to do with liking it or not, but actually causing me to work slower!

• 12. Re: Can we have the old spacebar preview option back as well please?
                                davidc12461037 Level 1

"Nothing to do with liking it or not, but actually causing me to work slower!"

Absolutely.

• 13. Re: Can we have the old spacebar preview option back as well please?

sam turner wrote:

I'm really surprised you like the new previewing features,

It's not the keyboard change so much (although, that will be handy when I travel with my MacBook), but it's that I don't have to stop a preview to change something. Granted, that's not super useful with complex particle effects with Particular, but it's really handy when tweaking color grading, type effects, glow, etc.

• 14. Re: Can we have the old spacebar preview option back as well please?
                                    samt87352138 Level 1

Szalam wrote:

but it's really handy when tweaking color grading, type effects, glow, etc.

Ok yeah I can't argue with that, but that's not the feature of the previewing I take issue with. The uninterrupted previewing can be very useful, but why at the cost of functionality that worked well and effectively up until now.

• 15. Re: Can we have the old spacebar preview option back as well please?
                                      adamneer Level 2

Regarding making things easier on laptop users (which I agree, is something that needs addressing, perhaps most obviously by allowing shortcut/hotkey customization like every other application on the planet), you still need the pg up and pg dn buttons to work with any sense of accuracy in AE, so it would be pointless to only change the key functionality of a few keys when many others are still unchanged.

You can add me to the list of people who absolutely hate the "press once to play, then press several more times to stop it, depending on where the cache is" functionality.  Because even if/when you get used to the stupid double tap thing, unless you are paying attention to the cache line above the timeline, you have very little indication whether 1 press or 2 presses will be needed to end playback, which often leads to starting previews all over again instead of stopping...  Incredibly unintuitive.  New users may be confused at first when they find out AE doesn't handle previews in the same way as a linear editing app, but then also, I would expect the fact that forward/backward uses pg up pg dn instead of the arrow keys to throw them off.  If new users don't have the little patience it takes to learn and adjust to the way AE works, they are probably not cut out for animation/motion graphics work to begin with.  And no, the same can't be said about adjusting to the NEW way AE works, because the new way is absolutely ridiculous.