7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2015 11:34 AM by A.T. Romano

Frequent Crashes - How to fix?

Pulfnick

I have Windows 8.1, Premiere Elements 13.1, uninstalled Premiere Elements and then reinstalled and updated it yesterday.  Computer is HP Pavilion 8GB RAM, 2T memory, no problems working with Premiere Elements 13.1 for about 15 - 20 minutes, then it crashes.  I'm just adding text to numerous clips and then saving after each addition when it crashes after adding text and saving to a few clips.  When I bring it back up, I get the message:  Adobe Premiere Elements.exe - No Disk        There is no disk in Drive E       I do not have a Drive E.    To get rid of this error message, I have to click the  X  exactly six times and then the error message disappears and Premiere Elements works fine again - until it crashes again.     How can I fix this?

Also a simple question:  How can I drag a title to where I want it?

Thanks much.

• 1. Re: Frequent Crashes - How to fix?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Pulfnick

There is a known No Disc error with Premiere Elements 13/13.1. The Adobe solution is to delete or disable the OldFilm.AEX file.

In Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, that file is found

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 13

Plug-ins

Common

NewBlue

and in the NewBlue Folder is the OldFilm.AEX file that you delete or disable by renaming it to OldFilm.AEXOLD.

Please let us know if that works for you and if your crashes continue to occur.

We will move forward based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...about the title movement....with the Titler closed...click drag the title into place...if any chance of disturbing an existing Timeline, try holding down the Alt key as you click drag. Are the video tracks in the opened configuration? Please explain what problems you having moving title files in the Expert workspace Timeline.

• 2. Re: Frequent Crashes - How to fix?
            Pulfnick Level 1

Thanks very much for your quick and useful reply.  This did fix the problem with the error messages when it comes up.  However it is still crashing after about 10 - 15 minutes of doing nothing more than adding text to clips, adding menu markers.  Would appreciate any other suggestions.

• 3. Re: Frequent Crashes - How to fix?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Pulfnick

How much do you have on the Timeline at the time of the crashes?

Do the crashes come after you have worked on the project for 15 minutes or after the project  reaches a duration of 15 minutes in content?

If you open a new project, first create the titles that you were creating in the problem project at crash time, does this new project crash? If you start adding media to the new project where the titles are already created, then do the crashes start?

Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card or the manufacturer of the computer?

What are your source media and project settings? Are you now working with the AutoSave feature enabled - Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoSave? Take a look at your workflow with and without the AutoSave feature enabled (without, use frequent manual Saves). Work from a copy of the problem project for the troubleshooting. File Menu/Save A Copy.

Please review and then we will try to put together a troubleshooting strategy for your crashes.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Frequent Crashes - How to fix?
                Pulfnick Level 1

How much do you have on the Timeline at the time of the crashes? The problem has occurred no matter how far I am into the timeline. As of now, I'm about 2 1/2 hrs into it, total length about 3 hrs 20 min. I plan on cutting it to about 2 hours when I've finished reviewing the whole thing.

Do the crashes come after you have worked on the project for 15 minutes or after the project reaches a duration of 15 minutes in content? Crashes occur after I've been working about 15 min, regardless of where I am in the project.

If you open a new project, first create the titles that you were creating in the problem project at crash time, does this new project crash? If you start adding media to the new project where the titles are already created, then do the crashes start? I've loaded clips from old VCR tapes into one project - total on the computer now about 3 hrs 20 min. I'm new to this, maybe don't understand the difference between titles and text. What I'm doing is putting TEXT - descriptive title, date, location - from the upper menu onto the first clip of a series of clips on one scene, where I will place transitions between scenes. I haven't created separate projects, all is in one large project.

Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card or the manufacturer of the computer? I don't know how to check.

What are your source media and project settings? Are you now working with the AutoSave feature enabled - Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoSave? Take a look at your workflow with and without the AutoSave feature enabled (without, use frequent manual Saves). Work from a copy of the problem project for the troubleshooting. File Menu/Save A Copy. Original source is VCR tapes. These were brought into my computer with WinTV software. I preliminarily edited and then added the WinTV media pieces to create the project I'm working on with Premiere Elements. I've had the computer automatically save. I wasn't aware that was an option and now verified it is set, apparently as default. I'm saving the project under three different names to be sure if I screw one up badly I'll have good back up. The crashing problem occurs on all three copies.

Thanks again!

• 5. Re: Frequent Crashes - How to fix?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Pulfnick

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the delay in my response. Your thread disappeared in the thread traffic.

The bottom line:

Your report suggests that you are working with standard definition video derived from VHS Tape. And, you should have a standard definition project preset. Is that the case? And, I need more details of the properties/formats of what you are putting on the project's Timeline from the WinTV. Also, NTSC or PAL. And, what computer operating system is involved?

Details.

Search for cause of instability of the project..

Format of your Source Files

a. Is project instability just in this one project or in any project that you create?

b. What is WinTV giving you to put on your Timeline as source media?...I thinking as much as you can tell us

video compression

audio compression

frame size

frame rate and whether it is variable or constant

interlaced or progressive

file extension

pixel aspect ratio

c. You say that you start with VHS tape, goes through WinTV, then to Premiere Elements. The VHS nature of the source suggests to me that your footage is standard definition 4:3. Is your Premiere Elements project set up as a 4:3 project?

Creation of Text Titles in the projects Titler.

I got the impression that the crashes became more and more of a problems related to adding text titles to your project. I wanted to determine if the problem was related to the creation of the text titles or the size of the project when you decided to add them. That is why I wanted you to start a mini test run new project (no video, just text titles) and see how many text titles you could add to this mini test run project before a crash.

Let us consider and explore this phase of the troubleshooting. Let us rule in or out the above starting the project focus factors. Once done I think that we need to zero in on Timeline content and its complexity versus computer resources. Also we should look at your video card/graphics card and its driver version to make sure that it is up to date. More on that next.

Also, please review AutoSaves.

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Saving and backing up projects

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Frequent Crashes - How to fix?
                    Pulfnick Level 1

Hi A.T.,

I'm not a highly technical user, just one who depends on software working as designed. This is getting too far over my head, and I'm now on for about 45 minutes without a crash. I appreciate your help, but think I'll just muddle along with it the way it's going today. Hopefully it will stay manageable. Thanks again.

Pulfnick

• 7. Re: Frequent Crashes - How to fix?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Pulfnick

Thanks for the follow up. Great news that your Premiere Elements workflow stability seems improved. Do you see any factor that could have contributed to the present improved state? Or, did the stability seem to change automatically from past to present?

If and when you decide you need to revisit this matter, I can gear the communications at whatever level works for you. Sometimes things that seem to be over your head become clearer as we go along. Some of these areas pointed to are must know for an effective troubleshooting.

But, right now, you seem to have everything in a manageable state. Always great news. Great job.

If you are OK, then you need not reply unless you want to and your schedule permits.

Thanks again for considering the suggestions.

Best wishes

ATR