8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2015 10:08 AM by bitm07

LR 6.1 vs CC 2015.1

Califdan2

I'm confused about what's where.   Are the new features found in CC 2015.1 (such as Black & white sliders in Radial, Gradient and Adjustment brush, Dehaze and a few others) included in LR 6.1 or are only bug fix and camera RAW profiles included?  In researching this I've found various articles that imply that they are and other articles that say they are not.  For example, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | New features summary says has Dehaze listed under "LIghtroom CC 2015.1/Lightroom 6.1" but then has "CC 2015.1 only" phrase on the Dehaze feature.   Can someone confirm that the "dot" releases between  Standalone and CC will not be the same and that the both versions will get Camera RAW updates along with bug fixes, but only the CC version dot releases will get funtional upgrades and additions?

Then, my second question is looking forward.  It seems that Adobe is moving from a roughly 18 month full release model to a 12 month model.  Is there general consensus that roughly a year from now we'll see an LR 7.0 (perpetual license) version and a CC 2016 version and if so do we expect that that features added to the 2015 dot releases will then show up in the LR 7.0 full release?

Thanks -- Dan 

• 1. Re: LR 6.1 vs CC 2015.1
          dj_paige Level 9

It seems that Adobe is moving from a roughly 18 month full release model to a 12 month model.

I can't agree with that, and I would hope you'd provide some evidence for this. LR 6/LR CC took about 2 years to be released after LR 5 was released. So, roughly a year from now LR 7 will be released? I think that's pure speculation.

For example, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | New features summary says has Dehaze listed under "LIghtroom CC 2015.1/Lightroom 6.1" but then has "CC 2015.1 only" phrase on the Dehaze feature.

That seems perfectly clear to me. LR 6.1 does not have dehaze, and it does not have the black and white local adjustments; this is stated as clearly as I can imagine it being stated. LR 6 will not have any new features, only bug fixes and new camera/new lens support.

• 2. Re: LR 6.1 vs CC 2015.1
            Keith_Reeder Level 4

Not sure what the confusion is - the site you link to clearly states that things like Dehaze are only available in Lr CC, and as has been discussed on here ad nauseam over the last few days, that's right: only CC will get new features during the lifetime of Lr 6.x; the standalone will only get new features with the release of Lr 7.

Adobe has been very clear about this for some time.

• 3. Re: LR 6.1 vs CC 2015.1
              ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Agree with Keith on the first question.  And yes, Adobe will be moving to a 12-month release schedule with Lightroom, as they do now with all other CC (2013-2014-2015) applications.

Compare Your Options: The Differences Between Lightroom 6 vs. CC

• 4. Re: LR 6.1 vs CC 2015.1
                dj_paige Level 9

So, when I ask for evidence that Adobe is going to a 12 month cycle, you quote as evidence yourself? I'm sorry, that's not evidence.

• 5. Re: LR 6.1 vs CC 2015.1

Sorry! You can debate it if you wish, but the only published information at this point is in the new name of the product itself, Lightroom CC 2015... 

Like all the other CC apps now in the same family, Adobe makes no public promises about the next release date – but an annual major cycle is expected from the evident name.

• 6. Re: LR 6.1 vs CC 2015.1
                    dj_paige Level 9

Not evident to me, I don't see any reason why the next release won't be Lightroom CC 2017

• 7. Re: LR 6.1 vs CC 2015.1

OK.  Like I said, you can debate it if you want.  There's nothing further I can post at this time.  We'll see.

But Lightroom has now joined a new family now with the new name change to CC, and one might say it's reasonable to expect LR to work the same way as all the rest of the desktop apps on that basis.

Have a great day.

• 8. Re: LR 6.1 vs CC 2015.1
                        bitm07 Level 1

ProDesignTools wrote:

OK.  Like I said, you can debate it if you want.  There's nothing further I can post at this time.  We'll see.

But Lightroom has now joined a new family now with the new name change to CC, and one might say it's reasonable to expect LR to work the same way as all the rest of the desktop apps on that basis.

Have a great day.

Now that the subscription version of Lightroom has been rebranded Lighroom CC, logic dictates that it will be updated on a yearly basis, along with all the other Creative Clouds applications, from now on. 

Whether the perpetual version of Lightroom, will follow suit, remains to be seen.  Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Adobe tries to distance the two versions of the product, by staggering releases,  in a similar way to what they did with the perpetual versions of Photoshop and Lightroom.