1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 21, 2015 11:12 PM by CoSA_DaveS

How do you get Eyelids to animate for squinting and blinking?

Ampman

I was reading through the PDF you provided below and I noticed in eye blinking you have a section that describes how to make an eye blink using eyelids instead of a sprite layer swap.  I can't seem to get this to work.  Having the character be able to squint and stuff would be cool.  I renamed all the layers and setup origin handles. 

Also the example given is the robot character,  But I don't see it working on that character either.

If anyone has an idea of what I'm doing wrong, please let me know.

• 1. Re: How do you get Eyelids to animate for squinting and blinking?
          CoSA_DaveS Adobe Employee

The Robot in the Examples project ( linked from the bottom of this page: Character Animator Tutorials ) does have an example of the eyelids "shuttering", however the existence of the "Left Blink" and "Right Blink" layers in the file effectively hides that. We'll fix that, but in the meantime you can experiment by deleting those layers (either in the Puppet panel or in PS) and then seeing how the upper & lower eyelids respond.

If your character's face skin behind the eyes is a solid color (no texture/gradient), you can make it look like the eyelids are clipping the eyes by having them be the same solid color as the face skin. This is a workaround until we add clipping (like track mattes in AE).