31 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2015 1:58 PM by FESP Branched to a new discussion.

2015 After Effects Bugs?

Gutter-Fish Level 4

DOn't know if this is the place to report possible bugs but at least I can ask if anyone else is experience the following issues with After Effects latest release.

1)  Audio playback is a little wonky & glitchy...I assume this due to the new preview features.

2) Having to hit SPACEBAR or INSERT multiple times to stop playback.   Pretty annoying as it's  convenient to be able listen to audio and stop timecode where I need to.

3) Scroll bar on timeline (or whatever it's called) is missing.  Meaning once I have a certain number of compositions I cannot scroll back and forth to reveal the tabs on either end. Also very annoying.

That's what I've noticed so far.

CHEERS

• 1. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
          Gutter-Fish Level 4

So I have learned 1) the audio playback issue "normal" behavior unless playback is real time.  But something still seems off.  In 2014 once the green bar filled up audio played fine..not the case with this update.

2) the scroll bars to navigate multiple tabs have been replaced with drop down menus. I like that change as those scroll bars were hard to grab at times.

3) discovered the new settings available in the playback panel.  I haven't played with them yet but I hope I can bring back old behavior (space bar for play & numpad0 for RAM preview)

I use them both and I'll be less than thrilled if I need to change settings everytime I want to switch back and forth between.  The "unified" playback button seems an unnecessary, and

so far inconvenient, change.

4) wish I hadn't updated

5) Miss the old days when software was updated when improvements were needed,  rather than the current model where changes are needed to justify annual updates.

• 2. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Paul B wrote:

So I have learned 1) the audio playback issue "normal" behavior unless playback is real time.  But something still seems off.  In 2014 once the green bar filled up audio played fine..not the case with this update.                       

There are some bugs with audio that - as I understand it are high priority to be fixed in next month's update. Some tips to mitigate it and info in this thread:

Paul B wrote:

2) the scroll bars to navigate multiple tabs have been replaced with drop down menus. I like that change as those scroll bars were hard to grab at times.                       

A very nice new feature for many folks.

Paul B wrote:

3) discovered the new settings available in the playback panel.  I haven't played with them yet but I hope I can bring back old behavior (space bar for play & numpad0 for RAM preview)

I use them both and I'll be less than thrilled if I need to change settings everytime I want to switch back and forth between.  The "unified" playback button seems an unnecessary, and so far inconvenient, change.                          .

For more info on the new previewing system (including how to revert to similar behavior to 13.2), read this: all about previews in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) | After Effects region of interest

For what it's worth, I like the new system. I like that I can work without stopping the preview, I like that I can do stuff in the interface without waiting for it to render first, and I like that you can change the behavior. When I work on my MacBook now, I can just hit spacebar for a proper preview instead of having to click in the preview panel. Since my MacBook doesn't have a number pad, I couldn't press 0 to initiate a RAM preview!

Paul B wrote:

4) wish I hadn't updated

You're not stuck with the update. The Creative Cloud software lets you install every version back to CS6 if you wanted to. I have CS5, CS6, CC, CC 2014, and CC 2015 all installed on the same machine at home with no problems. In fact, my workflow is to do all my work with the much-improved expression handling and uninterrupted previews of CC 2015 and then use CC 2014 to render with multiprocessing. Project files are even interchangeable between the two.

Paul B wrote:

5) Miss the old days when software was updated when improvements were needed,  rather than the current model where changes are needed to justify annual updates.

Dude, improvements were sorely needed! This version of AE marks a MAJOR change in how AE's core code works and it sets the stage for a big new change for a future update as well. This update is an even bigger change than when they went from 32-bit CS4 to 64-bit CS5!

I'm actually more excited about the future of AE now than I have been in a while.

For a nice video overview of the changes in CC 2015, watch the pleasantly-voiced John Dickinson explain them all: http://motionworks.net/new-features-in-ae-cc-13-5/

If you'd rather read about it or want to go more in-depth, see the Adobe team's blog posts: http://adobe.ly/1MQ3XOS

• 3. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
              Gutter-Fish Level 4

Thanks for all that info...I did not know I could revert back.   I know that fixes will come in the following weeks and months.  Most of my frustration is coming from legit issues with time indicator that a restart fixes.  Also I'm having to double tap to stop playback which is driving me crazy  .     I'm just a fan of...Hey, if it's two or even three years between releases that's fine,  make the awesome changes and then release it.   It's this whole "annual release" thing that seems unnecessary.   It's like 6 or 8 months of stability then boom.  Why?  It's not necessary.

• 4. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?

Paul B wrote:

Thanks for all that info...I did not know I could revert back.

It's one of the great features of CC! You can install versions as far back as CS6 if you want!

How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015 | Adobe Customer Care Team

I have them all, plus CS5 installed at home.

Paul B wrote:

It's this whole "annual release" thing that seems unnecessary.

I agree.

It's like the unchangeable blue color scheme and the (not well announced) default deletion of older CC versions; it seems like corporate/marketing decisions and not the sort of things the guys who actually make and use the software would opt for.

Speaking of, if you know anybody who's planning to update to CC 2015, let them know that they don't have to lose CC 2014 in the process: keeping previous versions installed when installing CC 2015 applications | After Effects region of interest

• 5. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                  Gutter-Fish Level 4

You're right it seems more of a marketing decision than a creative one...It's like they have to make changes so it seems like the release is justified and then they're forced to send it out within a certain time frame whether it's stable or not.   If it's 2 or 3 years between releases so be it.  Do you have to double tap to stop playback?  To me that's THE most frustrating thing at the moment.

• 6. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                    #kidsongs4life

The update is crap, so many bugs that it makes it nearly impossible to use effectively.  The effects panels will just stop being clickable, all of a sudden you completely lose keyboard connectivity so youll be changing the name of a layer and it will just stop writing (no it's not a hardware problem on my end), we are talking basic stuff here they seemed to figure out how to mess up, this also makes that handy dandy new spacebar renderer an insurmountable headache, its a runaway train that ignores audio %90 of the time.  Then the viewer window will lose all resolution leaving you huge blocky pixels and youll have to restart.  It's a waste, a complete pile of trash.  Good luck getting any work done with it.

• 7. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?

Paulb wrote:

Do you have to double tap to stop playback?  To me that's THE most frustrating thing at the moment.

It depends on what you mean.

Pressing spacebar initiates a preview. If it hasn't finished caching the preview, pressing spacebar again tells it to stop caching and just start playing what's been cached. So...yes/no?

How AE's new preview works is actually somewhat up to you. Settings are able to be changed. Info here: all about previews in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) | After Effects region of interest

• 8. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?

kidsongsforlife wrote:

The update is crap, so many bugs that it makes it nearly impossible to use effectively.  The effects panels will just stop being clickable, all of a sudden you completely lose keyboard connectivity so youll be changing the name of a layer and it will just stop writing (no it's not a hardware problem on my end),

That's not a bug I've heard about. I'm sure the After Effects team would like a full bug report with as much technical detail as you can possibly provide. Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Once you do that, you might consider uninstalling, running the CC Cleaner and reinstalling. Or, if not, at least make your own thread on here and give us as much info as possible. Something is unique in your situation. This is a weird issue and isn't common at all from what I've seen!

If this update were that bad for the majority of people, we would be hearing a lot more complaints in the forums and on reddit than we currently are.

kidsongsforlife wrote:

Good luck getting any work done with it.

I haven't had any major problems yet, so thanks!

• 9. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

kidsongsforlife wrote:

The effects panels will just stop being clickable, all of a sudden you completely lose keyboard connectivity so youll be changing the name of a layer and it will just stop writing

We have been investigating other reports of this problem, but we haven't yet been able to reproduce the problem on our end. The users we are working with report that these problems sporadically appear and disappear, which make it difficult to isolate the cause.

We're currently trying to correlate the problem with the multiple pointing devices these users have. What type of pointing device do you use? Mouse, tablet, touchpad, other? Brand and model? Do you have more than one plugged in at the same time?

• 10. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                            #kidsongs4life Level 1

Yeah, sorry to vent publicly.  I'm on a Late 2013 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, just using the one mouse that comes standard with Mac Pro's, I believe its bluetooth.  The keyboard issue is more profound.  I'll try the CC Cleaner.  The problems seem to go away after 2 or 3 restarts.  Thanks guys

• 11. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?

kidsongsforlife wrote:

Yeah, sorry to vent publicly.

I understand! It can be frustrating! If these issues continue to bother you after you uninstall, clean, and reinstall, remember you can always install CC 2014 until you meet any pressing deadlines and use CC 2015 when you have more time to bug hunt. How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015 | Adobe Customer Care Team

I have CS5, CS6, CC, CC 2014, and CC 2015 all on my machine at home. At the moment, I use CC 2015 for working (so I can take advantage of the uninterrupted previews and improved expression handling) and then render in CC 2014 since it has multiprocessing.

• 12. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                                Gutter-Fish Level 4

No dude,  I know the difference.  And i don't think you need to tap space to stop the cache and start the preview anymore since the update.  I'm talking about after it's cached and playing in real time and I want to stop the playback.  I have to hit spacebar twice.  In fact I'm working right now and I just had to hit it three times before playback stopped.   Also the time indicator is buggy.  Sometimes it stops responding...like it's locked in the same spot whether or not I'm previewing.  I have to restart AE to get it working again.

I'm not posting just to complain, I know new releases are buggy and eventually get fixed.  I'm posting to see if other people are having issues (which some are) and bring attention to some possible bugs.

• 13. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?

That does sound buggy. Gather as much info as you can and file a bug report!

• 14. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?

paulb46900714 wrote:

I'm talking about after it's cached and playing in real time and I want to stop the playback.  I have to hit spacebar twice.

I want to address this specifically, because it's an intentional change and you do have control over this.

First, the reference material for this is:

all about previews in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) | After Effects region of interest

So, two changes in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) that I think are tripping you up:

1. Spacebar, by default, starts a preview that is very similar to how RAM Preview worked in previous versions of After Effects. That means that when you start the preview, After Effects begins caching all of the frames to RAM as fast as it can until RAM is full (or the end of the preview range is reached). This is a user configurable behavior: in the Preview panel, you can change the Preview Favors control to Length, which will behave more like the old Standard Preview behavior that was attached to spacebar in previous versions of After Effects. When Preview Favors is set to Length (as opposed to Frame Rate, the default), it still caches frames to RAM, but only does so a little bit in advance, and if RAM fills up then the oldest frames get thrown out.

2. When Preview Favors is set to Frame Rate, if you start a preview but you then _interrupt_ the frame caching stage by pressing spacebar (or other shortcut or the Play/Stop button, etc.), this tells After Effects not to stop playback but to simply stop caching frames, and to continue playback of the frames that _are already cached_. IOW, you're telling After Effects "OK, I've got all the frames cached that I need, just play back the ones that are there". When Preview Favors is set to Length, this doesn't happen, because Length doesn't really care about what it has cached.

More simply, you can think of Preview Favors: Frame Rate as being analogous to RAM Preview and Preview Favors: Length as being analogous to Length. Mind that the code underneath is COMPLETELY different and there are other differences in how they work, but it's a pretty good analogy.

And the big change in After Effects CC 2015 (13.) is that spacebar is now by default set to start Preview Favors: Frame Rate. But you have control over this. In the Preview panel you can configure spacebar to start a preview with whatever settings you want.

Makes sense?

• 15. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                                      Gutter-Fish Level 4

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the thoughtful response.   I had tried that setting before and it didn't fix but I worked out that's only half the fix.   I was under the impression that numpad0 was now no different than spacebar and that's what I had been using.   Previously in 2014 I would hit numpad0 twice to start my playback and then spacebar once to stop it.  Now it seems not only does Preview Favors need to be set to length but I also have start with spacebar.  If I don't start with spacebar then I need then I need to hit it twice to stop playback.  I guess what I wasn't understanding is that numpad0 and spacebar still do two different things, even when I set the shortcut to numpad0.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain it to me.

Cheers

• 16. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?

guess what I wasn't understanding is that numpad0 and spacebar still do two different things.

The CAN do two different things. By default, they are set to behave very similarly: start a preview that caches frames for real-time playback. If you interrupt the caching phase with either spacebar or numpad-0, regardless of which one you used to start the preview, caching will stop and playback continues.

But again, you can change this. You have control over what preview behaviors are invoked by the different shortcuts.

• 17. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                                          GeoffO Level 1

I've found all sorts of inconsistencies with the masks. Often I can't view the mask shape in the composition window and I can't seem to edit the mask once I go back to it in the layer window.

There are a few other strange things happening which have all been mentioned here. Is Adobe looking in to testing these updates a little more rigorously? I'm not expecting perfection and I'm sure there are improvements if I look hard enough, just generally I just find new bugs in the first 20 minutes or so of using each update.

• 18. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                                            agviz

"You're right it seems more of a marketing decision than a creative one...It's like they have to make changes so it seems like the release is justified and then they're forced to send it out within a certain time frame whether it's stable or not."

You said it! And you're not the only one saying it. I've talked to other users who feel exactly the same way.

• 19. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                                              arewenotmen Level 1

I can't use AE CC 2015 because of the viewer (in my case, constantly) playing at such a low resolution. Has anyone found a solution to this?

• 20. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                                                chrisbrearley Level 1

Have you got both the Comp Viewer and Preview Palette resolutions set to full? Check both the spacebar and Numpad 0.

Personally I think the new updates are a massive head in the right direction. I love hitting spacebar and being able to view a 5 minute comp without having to wait (a simple comp, of course). I think once multithreaded rendering is re-introduced the AE team are onto a real winner here - assuming of course it is reliable and fits in with the new playback system.

A few gripes for me of which I am sure the AE team are aware are of....

The timeline glitches. The indicator disappears, layers and keyframes pop left and right all the time (possibly a wacom issue) and the drawing of the timeline itself screws up a lot. This is slowing me down somewhat as I'm constantly battling to get keyframes on the right frame.

I'm not a fan of losing the timeline comp scroller. If the the comp I want is just one to the left of the one I'm in but hidden, it feels very unnatural and is a lot slower to move all the way over to the right and find them little two arrows and then having to look through the list. Personally I don't think this is any better than the old method. Can we not have both?

Non realtime playback of ram cached frames. This is a BIG problem but hopefully the July updates will sort this out.

Still no sequence management on import. I'd like a sequence to be recognised as sequence in the file browser window, not a thousand separate files. This has been a top ten AE request for years.

Ta

• 21. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                                                  Gutter-Fish Level 4

No resolution problems here either.  But all the stuff chrisbrearley mentioned.  Chris did you know if you move the mouse pointer over the tabs you can scroll wheel through the comps.  Might be a little faster workflow for you.

I switched back to 2014 version a couple of weeks ago.   To me not having to wait for a full cache to playback is hardly worth all the other problems you mentioned.  Timeline indicator vanishing so I have to restart AE.   The problems with human interface detection.  I use a mouse and stuff jumps & lags on me all the time.  This doesn't happen in 2014.  And the improved playback, like you said won't playback real time after it's cached anyway, or if it does you feel lucky, so what good is it?  I got tons of frame drops and audio stuttering.  I work heavily with synching audio to whats on screen and 2015's inability to playback audio cleanly (even after it's cached) kind of seals the deal on me moving back to 2014.  I know they'll get it worked out eventually but, honestly if I were not able to revert back to an earlier version I would pissed as hell.

• 22. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                                                    chrisbrearley Level 1

I'm on a wacom Paul so no scroll wheel for me.

I switched back to 2014 about an hour after posting that. I was willing enough to put up with the sluggish and buggy timeline but I had .ai layers disappearing from the comp window and then turning up where they shouldn't have been. That coupled with less than real-time playback was too much to take.

I feel for those who uninstalled 2014. This version is not production ready and should never have been released as so. If Adobe wanted to get it out there then it should have been released as a public beta.

• 23. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                                                      Gutter-Fish Level 4

HI Chris,

You Know I meant to ask you about the sequence import thing you mentioned, and that you've been wanting this for years.  My sequences are recognized as sequences and have always have been.  How are importing them?  Do you choose the first file and check the "as sequence" box?

• 24. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                                                        chrisbrearley Level 1

It's so when you look in a folder with a sequence you only see one file just as you would a .mov or .mp4 etc rather than each individual frame. Resolve, Nuke etc work this way but it may be that Adobe would have to implement their own file browser rather than relying on Windows/Mac shell.

• 25. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                                                          arewenotmen Level 1

Hi Chris,

Yes - everything checked and double-checked that it (should be) showing everything at full resolution. Sticking with AE CC 2014 until Adobe release a usable version of CC 2015.

• 26. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                                                            jonathanzooka Level 1

paulb46900714 wrote:

2) Having to hit SPACEBAR or INSERT multiple times to stop playback.   Pretty annoying as it's  convenient to be able listen to audio and stop timecode where I need to.

Short answer: in the Preview panel, set Preview Favors to Length for the Spacebar shortcut.

Long answer:

When you start a preview with the spacebar key, if you press spacebar again to stop the preview before all frames are rendered and cached, preview does not stop. Only rendering is interrupted, and playback of the cached frames continues.

This behavior is by design, part of the changes to how previews work in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5). The default preview settings for the spacebar key now use caching behaviors similar to how RAM Preview worked in previous versions of After Effects.

To stop a preview immediately, you can:

• Change the settings for spacebar: in the Preview panel, set Preview Favors to Length for the Spacebar shortcut. This will change the caching behavior when previews are started with the spacebar key, including that stopping a preview that was started with spacebar stops immediately instead of looping the cached frames. This is similar to how the spacebar key worked in previous versions of After Effects.
                                                            • Press the Esc key to stop a preview. Esc immediately stops any preview, regardless of how that preview was started. Note that Esc also leaves the current-time indicator (CTI) at its previous position instead of moving it to the preview time.
                                                            • 27. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                                                              Gutter-Fish Level 4

Short answer:in the Preview panel, set Preview Favors to Length for the Spacebar shortcut.

Long answer:

When you start a preview with the spacebar key, if you press spacebar again to stop the preview before all frames are rendered and cached, preview does not stop. Only rendering is interrupted, and playback of the cached frames continues.

This behavior is by design, part of the changes to how previews work in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5). The default preview settings for the spacebar key now use caching behaviors similar to how RAM Preview worked in previous versions of After Effects.

To stop a preview immediately, you can:

• Change the settings for spacebar: in the Preview panel, set Preview Favors to Length for the Spacebar shortcut. This will change the caching behavior when previews are started with the spacebar key, including that stopping a preview that was started with spacebar stops immediately instead of looping the cached frames. This is similar to how the spacebar key worked in previous versions of After Effects.
                                                              • Press the Esc key to stop a preview. Esc immediately stops any preview, regardless of how that preview was started. Note that Esc also leaves the current-time indicator (CTI) at its previous position instead of moving it to the preview time.

The unresponsive spacebar was one of the bug fixes.

• 28. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                                                                newhappystar

This resolution issue was driving me nuts, but I found a workaround:

ae_previewmode_bug.jpg

Switch your preview mode from "Adaptive" to "Off (Final Quality)". You can switch back afterwards and it'll work normally again, until it doesn't...

• 29. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                                                                  Magenta Films

I still have this issue. Every sort of preview, whether triggered by spacebar or Num0 will render and play to the end of the comp ( not even just to the end of the preview area ). Once triggered, there is NO KEY that will stop the action. ESC doesn't work, nor does spacebar or Num0. Changing into another app freezes me our of AE until the whole comp has been rendered and played.

• 30. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?

Magenta Films wrote:

I still have this issue. Every sort of preview, whether triggered by spacebar or Num0 will render and play to the end of the comp ( not even just to the end of the preview area ). Once triggered, there is NO KEY that will stop the action. ESC doesn't work, nor does spacebar or Num0. Changing into another app freezes me our of AE until the whole comp has been rendered and played.

What exact version of After Effects are you using? Choose After Effects CC > About After Effects (Mac OS) or Help > About After Effects (Windows).

• 31. Re: 2015 After Effects Bugs?
                                                                      FESP

I did experience all of that too. Never worked with any of the versions of AE before, but i got heated many times because of what you described.