4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2015 9:01 AM by A.T. Romano

My computer died and I replaced it.  How can I transfer the license to the other computer?

waddahh46777292

Hi,

I want to know how to reinstall the program on a new computer after my old computer died on me.

• 1. Re: My computer died and I replaced it.  How can I transfer the license to the other computer?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Just install it and activate it.

You can have the program activated on two computers.

• 2. Re: My computer died and I replaced it.  How can I transfer the license to the other computer?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

waddahh

What version of Premiere Elements involved? Windows or Mac?

Was your Premiere Elements purchased as a download from Adobe or some place else? And, to what specific computer operating system was it downloaded?

Or did you purchase Premiere Elements in box packaging to get installation disc, and you installed the program into the computer from the disc.

In each case...

operating system of crashed computer

operating system of new computer

Were you able to deactivate Premiere Elements from the old computer before it died?

On how many computers is the purchased activated serial number now on? None at this point?

It may be a simple matter of using your purchased installation files and serial number on the new computer. But, let us go through the details first to make sure.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: My computer died and I replaced it.  How can I transfer the license to the other computer?
              waddahh46777292 Level 1

Thanks A.T. Romano,

I purchased a full Adobe Package that included the following products with my custom-ordered Sony Vaio:

Adobe Premiere Elements 9

Adobe Utilities - CS5

Photoshop Elements 9

Acrobat 9.0

The software came pre-installed and activated.  It was running Windows 7.  I was not able to deactivate, but I do have the hard drive intact, and I see the programs on it.

I did not activate the purchase on any other device, and I did not want to try because I am not sure where to get the serial and activation information.  I had the same problem with a couple of other software, and I managed to move them because I did have the activation information (office and Norton).

Thanks

• 4. Re: My computer died and I replaced it.  How can I transfer the license to the other computer?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

waddahh

Thanks for the reply. The pre-install software situation typically presents a problem when it comes time for uninstall reinstall. You need the installation files and purchased serial number. In your type of situation, your hopes reside

a. the computer manufacturer gave you the serial number for the pre-installed software at purchase of the computer

or

b. when the program was installed on the old computer, it somehow got registered at Adobe in your Adobe Account "My Products".

You can go to the Adobe web site http://www.adobe.com, sign in with your Adobe ID and password, type in My Products in the search field, and follow the My Products link to your products where you may find Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0 with the serial number.

There should be no problems getting you new installation file

Other downloads

or

Photoshop Elements 9 / Premiere Elements 9 Direct Download Links | ProDesignTools

but it is the serial number that you need and may prove the no go part of what you want to do.

Also, at a later date and depending on how things evolve, we may discuss the serial number which is trapped on the old computer and which will likely contribute to the count of 2 for the number of computers on which you have the purchased activated serial number. IMPORTANT. If you can get into the old computer, do not deactivate Premiere Elements 9 yet without a serial number to use when you re-activate the product. If it is safe to deactivate Premiere Elements 9, then it is Help Menu/Deactivate.

Please let us know if you find the serial number at Adobe web site My Products under your Adobe Account.

Thank you.

ATR