10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2015 10:37 AM by Just Shoot Me

How do two different users use Lightroom on the same laptop?

jefft23576830

My wife and I both have Lightroom 5.7 running on our desktops (two licenses). I Have installed it on my laptop. If my wife wants to use it on the same laptop (different User) what do we have to do?

• 1. Re: How do two different users use Lightroom on the same laptop?
          markerline Level 4

For most CC applications, Adobe allows 2 installations provided that you do not use them at the same time on different computers.  But you mention that each of you have purchased a license or subscription.  In that case you would be required to log in with your CC credentials.  At that stage you would create two separate user accounts, each preferably having admin rights, in the OS of your computer (laptop) and log in and out each time you want to use and finish using the application and other apps on the computer.  Windows allows you to "Switch User" so that you don't have to log completely out but just switch the account which is currently active.  The other account remains active in the background but not accessible by the switched user, if I am making sense here.

So the short answer is to use the power of your operating system (Windows, Mac) and then use Lightroom that way.

Note:  I do not know if Lightroom is smart enough to create individual user folders for each logged in admin account.  Managing your files may be a challenge in that regard but it is worth a try to search the web for "user accounts" and "Lightroom" to see if you find any results.

• 2. Re: How do two different users use Lightroom on the same laptop?
            jefft23576830 Level 1

I should have mentioned that the laptop is running Windows 8.1 and this is stand-alone lightroom, not CC. Where we use it, there is no internet access.

The individual user folders aren't a problem - we each have our own "My Pictures" folders - the problem is that when I sign on as the second user, even though I have initialized Lightroom under the first userid (entered Country, serial number,etc.), Lightroom wants to be initialized again (asks for a new country and serial number) under the second userid. I could enter my wife's serial number, but I don't know if it would overwrite my own and I'm concerned that this might mess it up.

• 3. Re: How do two different users use Lightroom on the same laptop?
              markerline Level 4

Under normal circumstances you can have as many user accounts running the same software on the same computer as you would like.

The example I present to validate that is that when Adobe Tech Support asks one to troubleshoot an installation, they typically ask one to create a new admin account to install the software if it is not running properly under the first installation.  It is still the same hardware (computer) so it would still qualify as one installation.

I am not sure why it is asking to re-authenticate the credentials you have entered.  Have you tried creating a brand new user account with admin privileges and running LR that way?  I know it may seem unnecessary to ask you to do that but I don't understand why LR would ask to re-authenticate for your wife's account.

• 4. Re: How do two different users use Lightroom on the same laptop?
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

If you already have LR installed on 2 separate desktop computer using the same serial number that is the TOTAL # of installs you are allowed with one serial #. And even then you can't, shouldn't, use both installs at the same time. The License is actually for ONE Person and that ONE Person can install it on 2 computers for their OWN Use and not at the same time.

So if you are trying to use that same serial for a third install that is where you might be running into problems.

I have no idea if you need more than one license serial #'s for multiple users on the same computer.

• 5. Re: How do two different users use Lightroom on the same laptop?
                  jefft23576830 Level 1

Have you tried creating a brand new user account with admin privileges and running LR that way?

Yes, my wife's account is a brand new user account with admin privileges. When I tried to run Lightroom on it (first thing I tried after setting it up), it asked for a serial number etc.

I can find all sorts of stuff on the internet about "how many machines can I install on" - which is actually pretty straight forward -  but nothing on this question.

• 6. Re: How do two different users use Lightroom on the same laptop?
                    jefft23576830 Level 1

We have two separate licenses, mine and my wife's. I am up and running fine on my desktop and on the laptop (not at the same time of course) but when I add a userid for my wife on the laptop, even though Lightroom is working OK under my userid, it asks for a new serial number when I try to run it under her userid.

It's a Windows 8.1 laptop, both userids have admin privileges.

• 7. Re: How do two different users use Lightroom on the same laptop?
                      markerline Level 4

Does it ask for a "new" serial number or have you actually attempted to enter the same serial number (sorry if you have already answered this question).  It may just be trying to instantiate the application as a "first run".  It may actually work with the same serial number as it will recognize that it is the same hardware and not a third installation.  If it gives you an error, I would at that point get in touch with Adobe Tech Support for registration issues via chat or phone.

• 8. Re: How do two different users use Lightroom on the same laptop?
                        jefft23576830 Level 1

Well I don't suppose I ever would have thought of that, but that's what it wanted.

I feel somewhat thick-headed, but that's OK, I'm used to it.

Thanks for your time,

jeff

• 9. Re: How do two different users use Lightroom on the same laptop?
                          markerline Level 4

Hey no worries about this issue!.  To console you I believe you were just trying to be cautious and didn't know what to do when it asked for a serial number.  Something of the sort has happened to me before so I can relate, which is why I got involved in this discussion.  I am glad everything worked out for you and don't feel bad at all.