2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2015 4:28 AM by eainnem123

HELP! Can't get stroke effect to work on imported AI file that is converted to shape layer?

eainnem123

Hi everyone! I am working on making a little intro for a video for a client. The logo is a customised typeface, so its not being typed in using the type tool directly in After Effects, instead it is being imported as an Illustrator file and converted to a shape layer. When I try to generate the stroke effect nothing happens, the mask doesn't work on the letters itself, instead it forms a rectangle around the whole word, is it because the contents fly down has different groups in it? I've looked up so many tutorials and haven't found a solution. TIA for your help!

• 1. Re: HELP! Can't get stroke effect to work on imported AI file that is converted to shape layer?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It's not clear what you mean. if you use shape layers, then the stroke may need to be applied to each group separately. I'm also not clear what you mean by mask. Could it be that you are applying the Stroke effect or respective layer style instead of native shape layer strokes? That's about the only explanation I can think of, but then of course your workflow doesn't make sense.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: HELP! Can't get stroke effect to work on imported AI file that is converted to shape layer?
            eainnem123 Level 1

Hi, thanks for your reply Mylenium. What I am trying to achieve is to make this text appear to be written on the screen. The way I was doing it was trimming the layer, then going into stroke and trying to use the pen tool to create the path for the stroke to follow. When I go to make the pen tool its just adding lines to the layer rather than making a path. Here is a what I am trying to animate, the words Rosie Greaney, they are two separate layers, 'Rosie' and 'Greaney' brought in from Illustrator.

Screen Shot 2015-06-18 at 12.20.18.png

This is how the 'Rosie' layer looks with all the group folders. I'm really very new at all this so I don't know if that means I should have them as individual layer in Illustrator before I import them in or how to work with them.

Screen Shot 2015-06-18 at 12.26.37.png