5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2015 11:30 AM by Peter Spier

Fonts disappeared after InDesign CS6 uninstall/reinstall

emilieh Level 1

I installed a new solid state hard drive last night in my mid-2012 macbook pro, and restored everything with Time Machine. This morning I uninstalled ID CS6 (using the Adobe uninstaller) because I had been having some issues with the program. (I've done this before and it's worked fine.). I reinstalled it and now everything's up and running except many of my fonts are no longer loaded. This has never happened before. They are in font book and turned on, but not showing up in InDesign. When I try to replace them when a file opens up and says the fonts are missing, they aren't showing up in the list of fonts to replace them with. So it's like Font Book and ID are somehow not connected anymore?

I would REALLY appreciate any advice on how to correct this -- it's definitely busting my chops as far as editing files I've already created. Thanks.

Emilie

• 1. Re: Fonts disappeared after InDesign CS6 uninstall/reinstall
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant
          1. You can't install any program vis Time Machine or any other backup method, it will fail. Programs can only be installed from original installer.
          2. Fonts have to be installed via OS.
          3. If you have T1 fonts they are not supported any more. If you need to use them with InDesign, you have to copy them into the Font folder in the same folder where the program is installed.
          • 2. Re: Fonts disappeared after InDesign CS6 uninstall/reinstall
            emilieh Level 1

Thanks for the response. Time Machine was only for the System and other files. I reinstalled CS6 from my original disks. And the fonts are already in Font Book. I uninstalled/reinstalled CS6 some months back the same way and definitely did not have to reinstall all of my fonts.

However since the above post I've downloaded CS6 updates from Adobe and also deleted and reinstalled a couple of the missing fonts in font book, and now it appears that most if not all of them have reappeared. So perhaps that reconnected Font Book with CS.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Fonts disappeared after InDesign CS6 uninstall/reinstall
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Try clearing the Font Caches and deleting the Adobefnt*.lst files where * returns a two-digit number.

• 4. Re: Fonts disappeared after InDesign CS6 uninstall/reinstall
                emilieh Level 1

Thanks Peter. I just did a search have a ton of "adobeFnt14.lst" files and a few with other numbers at the end. It looks like they're all in the ID Packages that I created at one time or another to send to printers, etc. So I should just delete all those?

And I've never cleared a font cache in all the years I've been working in InDesign. Is that something I should be doing routinely?

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Fonts disappeared after InDesign CS6 uninstall/reinstall
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

the .lst files will be rebuilt automatically if needed, so it's safe to delete them, but probably not essential for old packages.

I'm not a Mac user, so I'm not totally up on what happens, but it's my understanding that OSX is supposed to do things like defrag and clear caches automatically. In reality, those routines run in the wee hours when most people have turned off the machine, so they never get done. Clearing font caches is always a good idea when you have font issues. You can use a utility like Cocktail to run the scripts to do the clearing, or you can probably find directions to do it from terminal if you google.