• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC 2015 crash - An application has requested more GPU memory than is available in the system.

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded the new AI CC 2015 and it keeps crashing. I can only keep it open for a few minutes before it crashes with the error:

"An application has requested more GPU memory than is available in the system."

I never had this problem with CC 2014. My graphics card is an Nvidia Geforce 650ti with a gig of ram. Anyone else having this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest following actions, please see if this fixes your issue

1. If your OS is Windows, Update your GPU drivers to latest and check if this issue goes away
  2. Move / backup your preferences and see if this issue goes away with fresh preferences
  3. AISniffer file containing GPU details is present inside preferences folder, please copy and attach the same and send to ShareWithAi@adobe.com

Win: %appdata%\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 19 Settings\en_US\x64

Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 19 Settings/

Thanks

Rama

Illustrator Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just sent the AISniffer file.

I've updated the drivers for my graphics card and removed my AI 19 preferences. Illustrator is still crashing with the same error message. I think it's happening mostly when I've been zooming in.

-Mario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mario,

What happens if you disable the GPU Performance (by clicking the Rocket Icon in the App bar and deselecting the GPU Performance check box)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off GPU performance fixed this issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far today turning off GPU performance is working.

Isn't this feature supposed to speed things up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's all the info on gpu performance. GPU Performance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I thought it was still crashing even after turning off GPU performance. But so far this morning with GPU performance set to off, it hasn't crashed. If I try to switch it on, Illustrator crashes right away. Maybe I only turned off GPU preview yesterday when it was still crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, me too on a 2013 MacBook Pro retina 15" under Bootcamp Windows 8.1.  Bloomin annoying - thanks Adobe! 

It worked fine until yesterday without turning that off.  What I did notice is that with "GPU Performance" enabled, it worked slower and didn't show very fine lines, so all in all a pretty useless piece of functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2016-01-13_1632.png

(For reference)

This - so far - has worked for me as well.

I'm using a GTX 770, with driver version 361.43 which is the most recent as of this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, yes - disabling GPU acceleration works around the issue but the point is that we shouldn't have to disable it.

Come on Adobe, you can do this - maybe have your Illustrator developers talk to the other product teams who solved this before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU is the answer... turn that off... it stops the crashing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. I had this problem as soon as I upgraded. I had my primary drive fail this week, so I did a clean install of Win 10, and this happened within 2 hours of a clean install of Illustrator

For me it happens primarily when cutting and pasting between two illustrator files.

Win 10

i7-2600K

16GB RAM

2 Quardro 2200s (drivers updated as soon as Win was installed)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Same problem here in Illustrator CC 2015 (latest).

I have tried opening files I have edited successfully in the past , they now no longer open with GPU Performance enabled.

It might be worth mentioning the artwork in these files contains dropshadow effects (on about 3 or 4 objects).

When pressing 'more info' ,it pointed me to this Nvidia Page: OpenGL message “Request for more GPU memory than is available"

My system configuration:

W7 64-bit

32GB Ram

2x Nvidia Quadro K2000

Latest Nvidia Driver

(no updates available to Illustrator, so latest version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just ran into this and further investigation seems to indicate that this is related to a (very) high screen resolution.

I monitored GPU memory usage using GPU-Z and was able to see that this mainly happens on our brand new 4K LG (running at 4096x2160).
On that system, opening any CMYK illustrator file would instantly drive GPU memory usage above the physically present 2 GB - causing the error and a crash.
Changing document color mode to RGB would bring down GPU memory usage a little (1800 MB) but that seems excessive as well.

Note: the driver version does not make any difference in my experience (tested both our previous standard 347.25 and the current 358.50 versions).

Our other high-res single screen setup is running 3440x1440 and ends up with similarly disastrous memory usage:

CMYK:
2015.1.1_nvidia_heinke_cmyk.PNG

Comparison values from our dual screen setup (two 1600x1200) show about half the memory usage even though the overall desktop size is pretty similar (3200x1200):

2015.1.1_nvidia_trainings_cmyk.PNG
FullHD + 1600x900 setup (Intel HD 4400) end up at 430 MB
2015.1.1-intel_cmyk.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

This makes a lot of sense. Thanks for reporting back with a clear explanation of your discovery. I hope an Adobe staffer see this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reported this (via Adobe Enterprise support) and have gotten the confirmation that this is a bug and that Adobe's engineering has already fixed the issue.

No ETA on a patch/fix though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2015 Dec 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is horrible. I have a brand new mac that keeps crashing while i'm working on super simple infographics in illustrator cc 2015. While Adobe doesn't fix (I can't believe they haven't fixed yet!) perhaps turning the "GPU" option off might improve things?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2015 Dec 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact issue. It happens when GPU performance is enabled (NVIDIA GTX 650ti boost 2MB). When using the hand tool to move anywhere within my document, Illustrator will crash. If I disable the GPU performance everything works fine. The issue appeared when I updated the NVIDIA video drivers on 12/21/2015 to version 361.43. Since I have no idea how to roll back to an earlier driver, or the trouble that will cause, I'll just disable GPU performance for now.

illustrator-nvidia-error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2016 Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to throw my hat into the ring and to hopefully raise awareness, I am also getting this fault on a 2015 iMac.

However, my colleague has a 2014 iMac that does not have this issue and we are both using the most up-to-date version of Ai CC. The GPU fix works for me, however, it is frustrating to use that functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you read post #12. Maybe that explains stuff for you as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I didn't read that one properly but after reading that again it does make sense as the 2014 is not Retina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't (yet) re-test it myself as I currently don't have access to a 4k monitor - still waiting for the delivery.

I was hoping that the fix I was promised had already been included in one of the recent Illustrator updates but apparently this hasn't been the case.

Kind of a shame that nobody is willing to at least give an estimate when such fixes get rolled out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And as an update, even after disabling the GPU acceleration, I am still developing this error. Although not a frequent but on file sizes as small as 6MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I would like to investigate this issue further and want to have a connect session with you.

If you are available for that please drop a test mail with the link of this forum to rbhunwal@adobe.com

Thanks & Regards,

Raghuveer Singh

Illustrator Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines