1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 18, 2015 3:18 PM by johnrellis

Whats the best way to move my whole photo collection (not the LR database) from one drive to a new one?

galloway5 Level 1

What's the best way to move my whole photo collection (not the LR database) from one drive to a new one?  I'd like to do this fem within LR so that the catalog doesn't loose track of the image files.

• 1. Re: Whats the best way to move my whole photo collection (not the LR database) from one drive to a new one?
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Too many people over the years have reported problems trying to do large bulk moves within LR, and I strongly recommend against it.

Instead, use the Mac Finder / Windows File Explorer to move your folder hierarchy to the new drive.  Then start LR.  All your photos should now be marked with the "!" indicating they are missing from their old location.  If the topmost folder of your photo folders hierarchy isn't showing in the LR Folders panel on the left, right click one of the top folders and select Show Parent Folder.  Keep doing that until the topmost folder is showing.   It should have a "?" on it, indicating that it is missing from its original location.  Right-click that topmost folder, select Find Missing Folder, and navigate to its location on the new drive.