7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2015 4:46 PM by A.T. Romano

Sounds like a warning beeping during play back (#2)

INTER MUNDOS

June 17

Sounds like a warning beeping during play back...

I'm using Win 7.1 on a Dell Precision M6500 Icore 7 laptop w/8G ram & 1G video card. I'm a little over 1h:22m into editing a bunch of clips together & everything is fine. I added a 5min. clip and about halfway into it there is a shrill oscillating sound like an ambulance & squad car racing somewhere. The last clip plays fine by itself. I've tried it both with & without rendering with the same results. The previous 17 individual files are between 5 & 9 min's in length pretty much all at full size 16x9 HD. Is there some upper limit to file size? I want to export about 1:45min's to DVD when I'm finished. Has anyone ever seen this before? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Inter Mundos

*************************************************************************************

June 17

Steve Grisetti

You're only limited, for the most part, by your hardware. Which, in your case, isn't going to be a limitation at all.

However, you should know that a standard DVD only holds about 70 minutes of video. You can set the program to lower the quality of your video and squeeze a bit more on -- but there is a limit to how much you can squeeze onto a disc.

*************************************************************************************

June 17

1. A.T. Romano Jun 17, 2015 6:40 PM (in response to INTER MUNDOS)

Mundos

I do not believe your audio noises at Timeline playback are due to a Timeline duration issue.

What is the format of these clips that you are putting on the Timeline? A while back I seem to recall a Premiere Elements user got some weird noises during playback. The problem was traced back to use of a Xvid.avi file which is probably one of the worst types of formats to use in Premiere Elements. Look at the file formats of all the clips to know for sure what is in the mix.

Does the audio noise always track the same 5 min clip or is it tracking the spot on the track?

ATR

June 18

I’m beginning to understand how this forum works now. I jumped the gun last night on the first response which cleared it out for any other replies. I’ll get the hang of it soon, sorry.

To answer ATR…

All of the clips were pulled from YouTube with a program called Camtasia (https://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html) in .AVI form, Intel Indeo IYUV codec, @ 850x475dpi. PCM 48khz, 16 bit, 172kb/sec. stereo. All of the clips played just fine in different time line locations. I used this clip in an earlier location but decided to add about 30 min’s of other video before it. That stretched my total time to 1h:22min’s. Then I added that 5min. clip & I heard that sound about half way through it. I used Premiere Pro as a hobby about 10-12 years ago before they started bundling as CSx & you could burn 2 full hrs. to disk. I did not know a dvd would only hold ~70 min’s of material with P/Elements. I took that last clip out & everything is good so far (seems to be tracking the spot on the track). I guess I’ll just stop at that length & move on to a few bells & whistles & burn it. I really appreciate your comments & suggestions. A lot has changed with Premiere since I used it before, mostly good from what I see so far. It’s nice to get back in the game. I’ll leave this unmarked a while just in cast someone else has an idea Ü. Again, thanks for the help. Inter Mundos

• 1. Re: Sounds like a warning beeping during play back (#2)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

INTER MUNDOS

Please clarify your situation.

If you are hearing this noise on the Edit area monitor Timeline content playback, there is no way that those noises have anything to do with how much content a DVD disc can or cannot hold. At that point in the project, the project has no way of knowing the destination of the Timeline content. I have not seen you mention that you get those noises before and after export to file saved to the computer hard drive or burn to disc.

As a point of information, the Premiere Elements Timeline will accept about 23 hours max of footage on its Timeline. I have never tried to export that.

But, as a matter of information, if you take your whole project to the burn to disc stage (with your DVD disc in the burner tray)

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

what does the Quality area of the burn dialog show for Space Required and Bitrate when there is a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"?

Important information. Just in case note, DVD 4.7 GB/120 minutes is in reality 4.38 GB, and DVD 8.5 GB/240 minutes is in reality 7.95 GB.

But, I would ask "If burn to disc DVD is the destination for your Timeline content, are you going for DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD or AVCHD on DVD?"

There are several possibilities for the Timeline noise....

a. If it is tracking a position on the Timeline, have you expanded the Timeline with the -+ slider above the Timeline, expanded all the video and audio tracks, and searched them (particularly at that noise spot) for debris?

b. If you open a new project with the same source media, does the noise present even in the new project?

c. The YouTube Licensing Agreement does not allow for downloading of its videos without specific permission from it. Source of files may be an issue.

d. If these are not protected videos that you are using, can you get your videos from Camtasia in another format that would be compatible with Premiere Elements - H.264.mp4?

Please review and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Sounds like a warning beeping during play back (#2)
            INTER MUNDOS Level 1

ATR,

What a wealth of information to consider from your comments! After re-reading, I see that I said "YouTube" in error... doing too many things @ once sometimes gets folks confused & they make mistakes. Teach me to talk on the phone when I'm trying to learn something.

I have only gotten to the point of ending @ 1h:17mins & trying to burn a dvd. I have not tried to export at all as yet. I planned to export to widescreen dvd @ as high a quality as possible. I guess for DVD-Video as I don't know about AVCHD.

Now setting up to burn... At NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD-Video, it shows Space Require: 4.38 GB (Bitrate 7.57Mbps) & the slider above that shows to be unmovable @ the far left (most video). AVCHD shows insufficent disc space for burning. I'm burning this to disc now without menus, intros or credits just to see how it comes out. It looks like it will take a while. It's been almost 30 min's & it only shows 17%.

I have been expanding (+/-) the timeline as you suggested all along & I just added several clips including the problem one & checked for any small clip fragments that could have been missed from deleting. I didn't find any but for some reason everything is ok now & I hear no annoying noise!

I will follow up tomorrow. I appreciate your help with this ATR!

INTER MUNDOS

• 3. Re: Sounds like a warning beeping during play back (#2)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

INTER MUNDOS

Thanks for the follow up. Wonderful news that the Timeline noises have disappeared. Some leftovers present as very thin vertical black lines scattered about the track content. A good way to go after them is to hit the End key and see where it stops. Does it stop at the end of the last item on the Timeline or does it go beyond that point? If it goes beyond, then search the beyond point for the debris. But, in your case, I get the impression that the problem is within the Timeline content beginning and ending.

The Space Required and Bitrate readings do not look too bad. But, the bitrate 7.57 Mbps indicates that the program has lowered the Bitrate from its max 8.00 Mbps to 7.57 Mbps to lower the file size to make the disc fit. That difference may not impact the end product quality to any great extent to make a noticeable impact. Let us see what the burn to disc looks like at playback.

As for "Fit Content to Available Space", I work with that enabled for burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. The only time I would consider removing the check mark next to it for this burn to would be if I were getting a Data Rate error message forcing me to lower the Bitrate manually to the point where I no longer got the Data Rate error.

The burn time is going to depend on computer resources and the complexity of the Timeline. To avoid too many scene selection pages, try to select a menu that has as many scenes per page as possible (I think the max is 6 scenes per page.)

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Sounds like a warning beeping during play back (#2)
                INTER MUNDOS Level 1

ATR,

Well, the quality of the burn was good overall but playing it revealed some unexpected results. Because I did so many edits to manually sinc up the audio & video, the playback of the dvd looked terrible. I went back & found your reply to someone about using a program called Handbrake. Got it and tried it on one file with spectacular results Ü. Now my project for the weekend will be to trash everything I did & start over. That's what learning is all about. It was my first project with P/Elements 13 and I'm happy to learn what I have so far from your comments. Small price to pay to learn early instead of fighting the same problems over & over. I'm new here & I don't know what you can get with the brownie points you collect but with all the people I see that you help, Adobe should buy ya a steak dinner! I appreciate your tutelage.

Inter Mundos

• 5. Re: Sounds like a warning beeping during play back (#2)
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

INTER MUNDOS

Great news of progress. Great job in follow through.

We all learn in the Q&A and sharing. My major situation is that I have not found a question that I could walk away from coupled with having an overactive troubleshooting gene.

New project will give you the opportunity to set new project settings which will match the properties of your source media. Important.

But, another consideration is to know the properties of your source media. Be on alert for video from cell phones, iPod, iPad, and other devices that record video with a variable rather than constant frame rate. Premiere Elements has problems with that type of video. The problems can range from Timeline out of sync audio to not being able to import the file at all. Typically the solution is to take the video into the free HandBrake to obtain a H.264.mp4 version with a constant frame rate. And, then you import that H.264.mp4 into the Premiere Elements project with the correct project preset. We can go into manual vs automatic project preset setting later if necessary. The following may be of interest in that regard

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

We will be watching for your progress which is sounding very good.

Best wishes

ATR.

Add On...conclusive way to figure out variable or constant if not obvious in the frame rate value is to look at the video properties readout in MediaInfo (View Menu/Tree). If variable frame rate, you will be given 3 frames rates - minimum frame rate, frame rate, and maximum frame rate.

MediaInfo download | SourceForge.net   for Windows.

Be careful for the choices during download and install of this free program to avoid unwanted baggage that may come along with the Media Info.

• 6. Re: Sounds like a warning beeping during play back (#2)
                    INTER MUNDOS Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for the add on info. I've been verifying my clips using it. I finally narrowed down that terrible noise problem. It happened again & the really short story is that it turns out the ten year old video capture program I was using has a bug in it when you go from a 32 bit to a 64 bit system, go figure... I should have thought of that sooner & never installed it on this machine! I've been using an app. now that captures & converts to mp4 using H264 @ a constant frame rate w/mp3 audio. The finished file size is much smaller. I don't think I'll have to use Handbrake at all with this project. Haven't imported anything other than a test clip into P/E but that's inline for tomorrow. Dumped the entire old project by removing files from P/E structure to clean up everything. Trashed all the old source video & recaptured using the new app. It sure took a lot longer to do that than to print it out hereÜ At least now I think everything will go a lot easier.

Inter Mundos

• 7. Re: Sounds like a warning beeping during play back (#2)
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Inter Mundos

Thanks for the update on your project issues.

Sounds like you are on a productive troubleshooting path. Great job. We will wait for further development as you pin down all the variables.

Best wishes

ATR