3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2015 3:59 PM by A.T. Romano

MP4 playback extremely fast?

xexoy2

Hi, I'm using an older version of APE and seem to remember being able to use MP4s without an issue. I've come back to the software recently to put out some content on Youtube related to gaming. I use the OBS recording software and it seems to work fine, and I in fact already posted 2 unedited videos. I'd like to edit my future ones now but am being hampered by a problem regarding MP4's as best as I can tell. They playback at extreme speeds and timewarping them doesn't seem to help either. 3 minute video turned into a 5 second frame mess. I tried to convert it with the most reliable converter I own, but it botched the audio. What can I do?

• 1. Re: MP4 playback extremely fast?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

xexpu2

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

What is your project preset?

What are the properties of this .mp4 video

Video compression

Audio compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

Pixel Aspect Ratio

You say you have a 3 minute video turned into a 5 second frame mess in Premiere Elements. What are you getting - the whole video in fast motion or only a 5 second portion of the whole 3 minute video?

Is your video being recorded with OBS using a variable instead of constant frame rate?

We need to get a handle on your source media. MP4 is only the file extension (wrapper format) for the file.

Please put together the requested information and then we will plan the troubleshooting strategy.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: MP4 playback extremely fast?
            xexoy2 Level 1

Premiere Elements 9, I believe. Windows 7 Home Edition

I tried both NTSC 720p and HDV 720p

Not sure how to look at

Not sure how to look at

720p

25 fps

Interlaced

Dunno

• 3. Re: MP4 playback extremely fast?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

xexoy2

There is a problem with your details in post 2.

If your video is 720p and has frame rate of 25 frames per second, you do not have interlaced video. What you would have would be

1280 x 720 @ 25 progressive frames per second.

Since there is no

PAL

DSLR

720p

DSLR 720p25

my choice for project preset would be

PAL

HDV

HDV 720p25.

Drag your clip into the Timeline of the project set for HDV 720p25.

With the Organizer header active, go to the Project Tab in the row below and click on it to reveal your file in the Project media view.

Right click the thumbnail for the file there, select Interpret Footage...

What does it show in the Frame Rate section for

Use Frame Rate from File: _____

and

Assume this frame rate _______?

Whatever the case, dot the option Assume this frame rate and type in 25 (if that is the frame rate of your file).. And, then close out of there. I will explain later. There is a glitch in 9 regarding the Interpret Footage frame rate which may or may not apply to your situation. But, it needs to be explored.

Is the situation corrected or changed in any way?

Is there any possibility that the video that you have was recorded with motion option in a camera before the file was imported into Premiere Elements project?

ATR