7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2015 7:28 PM by ssprengel

lock.dcm

garyc23894946 Level 1

Hi - I had a power outage which has lost my catalog - researching this has shown up that I need to delete .lock files but it is also showing .lock.dcm files.

Anyone know if these should be deleted too or just left?

Thanks

• 1. Re: lock.dcm
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is LR not opening?  You should only need to delete a .lock file is LR won’t open with an error that it is already open when it’s not because you’ve just rebooted.

I don’t know what lock.dcm is.   The .lock file I’m familiar with is the catalog name followed by .lock without any .dcm following that, and it is in the same folder as the LR catalog file.

It is possible that there are new lock files, now, though, since I haven’t had to clean up after LR 6 being shut down unexpectedly, yet.

• 2. Re: lock.dcm
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

On Windows there is a .lrcat.LOCK file and a .lrcat-journal file that go away when LR is closed. If you are on a Mac that DCM file might be what on Windows is the Journal file. Don't know and have no way of checking.

• 3. Re: lock.dcm

Don’t delete any Journal file, though.  That is where things are stored temporarily before they are put into the LR database.

If you want a better answer on what to delete, show us a screenshot of what files you have in the LR catalog folder.

• 4. Re: lock.dcm
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

ssprengel wrote:

Don’t delete any Journal file, though.  That is where things are stored temporarily before they are put into the LR database.

If you want a better answer on what to delete, show us a screenshot of what files you have in the LR catalog folder.

If LR crashes and leaves that Journal file behind what difference does it make if you delete it, "With LR closed down that is".

I am certain if that journal file was left behind because of a crash the next time you opened LR it would make a new journal file which would either overwrite the one left behind or a new one with maybe a -1 behind the word journal.

• 5. Re: lock.dcm
                  garyc23894946 Level 1

Just to clarify; I am on LR 5.6 - this has never happened before - my catalogs are a mess to be honest so I'm going to re-install and start over - probably take the weekend to sort it but hey, ho ...

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions; much appreciated

• 6. Re: lock.dcm

A journal file is pending database updates.  If LR thinks it can use some of them to make more changes to the database then it might, right, or it might use it to roll back a half-completed update of some sort.

If it does ignore the old one and create a new -1 version and doesn't change the timestamp on the old one ok, you could delete that old one.

• 7. Re: lock.dcm

Reinstalling isn't going to change anything about your catalogs, they are in a separate area from the program, but if it'd make you feel better, go ahead and reinstall, and then maybe re-update to LR 5.7.1 from last December so you have the latest version.

Once you've made yourself more comfortable by reinstalling then you can post here what your catalog(s) folder looks like and we can try to get everything straightened out.