11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2015 5:37 AM by Rick Gerard

Importing Images into CC 2015

malowens Level 1

Has anyone has issues with After Effects CC 2015 linking existing images into their comps?

It seems since the update, I can't even drag and drop png jpg etc into the project window. The only way around it is to either make the image into a PSD file, or import the file as a RED file type. There doesn't seem to be an option for images any more.

• 1. Re: Importing Images into CC 2015
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nobody can tell you anything without proper system info or other technical details, including exact specs of the images, storage locations and so on. in any case, start by running the cleaner tool and reinstall the program.

Use the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Importing Images into CC 2015
            malowens Level 1

Hi Mylenium,

My apologies. Thanks for the reply. I wanted to see if someone else has experienced the same problem, hence the quick post.

System Specs:

rMBP late 2013

16GB RAM

500GB SSD Drive

OSX 10.10.3

Here's a screen shot of the default import file screen. All of the images listed here, we in my project and linked perfectly in the previous version of After Effects. Now, they are coming up as missing since AE 2015. The only way to get them into the project is to reload each file.

Even with All Acceptable Files selected, all of the images are greyed out whereas in the previous version of After Effects, I could select them.

Screen Shot 2015-06-19 at 8.35.12 pm.png

And a second screen shot of the settings I need to select when importing new images or relinking existing images from previous projects:

Screen Shot 2015-06-19 at 8.35.42 pm.png

Does this make things a little clearer?

• 3. Re: Importing Images into CC 2015
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's weird.

So, let me get this straight, you create a brand new project...hit File>Import...everything is grey UNTIL you switch it to look for RED files and then they are suddenly clickable?

If so, sounds like a bug to report: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

This is not common - even for Mac OSX 10.10.3 users, so any information you could think of about your machine would probably be helpful. Although, to be honest, I don't know what stuff to ask about. Third-party plugins installed, codecs installed, etc.

• 4. Re: Importing Images into CC 2015
                malowens Level 1

Hi Szalam,

That's correct. As soon as I switch the "Enable" section from "All Acceptable Files" to "All Files", they become selectable. But it's only when I change the "Format" to "Red" am I able to import them. All other file type simply gives my a parse error and there isn't an option for images.

I'm assuming you don't have the problem?

• 5. Re: Importing Images into CC 2015

Malowens wrote:

I'm assuming you don't have the problem?

That is correct. I import files with no problem. I'm on Windows. I haven't heard of very any Mac people with that issue either yet though.

• 6. Re: Importing Images into CC 2015
                    malowens Level 1

Problem solved. I completely uninstalled AE and reinstalled and now I can import just as before as it automatically detected the images file type properly. Very strange strange since everything else with the originally installation worked great. Anyway, all running perfectly.

• 7. Re: Importing Images into CC 2015

Well, that was odd. Glad you got it fixed!

• 8. Re: Importing Images into CC 2015
                        malowens Level 1

Me too. Although I'm a little sheepish about what caused the error. Once I reinstalled, I was checking through the file structure to ensure my plugins were in their place only to I realise that I'd copied the "Format" folder from a saved location but it didn't have all of the format presets in it. So when I copied it across, it erased all of the freshly installed tiff, png, jpg etc file types.

So in this case, the error definitely resided between computer and chair...me!

Thanks for your help and sorry for wasting your time for such a silly error.

• 9. Re: Importing Images into CC 2015

Thank you for posting what the solution was.

I'll keep it in mind the next time somebody has a similar problem!

• 10. Re: Importing Images into CC 2015
                            malowens Level 1

Haha! No worries. And thanks again. Have a good weekend!

• 11. Re: Importing Images into CC 2015
                              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I just got the same error using Cmnd + i so I canceled the import, then tried importing again by simply double clicking in the Project Panel. The new import panel worked as expected. I have not been able to reproduce the error. Weird....

OSX 10.10.3

AE 13.5.0.347 (2015)