16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2015 10:38 AM by rob day

"Drifting" page numbers - like a dictionary/thesaurus

shmu72 Level 1

I have a 150 page document in which I would like the page numbers to drift downwards as you go further into the document. Working in the same way as an old fashioned dictionary or thesaurus works with the different sections (A, B, C, D, etc). Is there a way to program InDesign to do this automatically, as opposed to manually nudging the page number down on each page?

Attached is an image. My goal is not to the page numbers grouped in sections, but for each individual page have the page number slightly lower than the last, until it reaches the bottom on the very last page. as such....

closed-dictionary-EDHCF4.jpg

• 1. Re: "Drifting" page numbers - like a dictionary/thesaurus
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Page numbers would be attached to a master page, meaning that the page number is in a fixed position on each page.

To have it move down the page you'd need a different master page for each time you wanted to shift.

Old style dictionaries weren't done on computers, it was a very manual and mechanical process which probably made it easier.

I don't know of a way for InDesign to do it automatically - perhaps it can be scripted?

• 2. Re: "Drifting" page numbers - like a dictionary/thesaurus
            shmu72 Level 1

Yes indeed, the number is on the master. How would i go about scripting this?

• 3. Re: "Drifting" page numbers - like a dictionary/thesaurus
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Unless you have a different master page for each document page, you will not be able to drift the numbers, even by script, and that more or less defeats the purpose of having the master page.

Here's a link to the scripting forum: InDesign Scripting

• 4. Re: "Drifting" page numbers - like a dictionary/thesaurus
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

even by script, and that more or less defeats the purpose of having the master page.

Peter, a script could find all instances of a selected master page item, release it on the pages with the applied master, then adjust the y position. The page numbers would still be linked to the master and they would respond to changes.

The curious thing about this is when I was playing around with a script I realized when the MP item is overridden via scripting, the positioning behavior is different. If I manually change the x,y of the master page item after running the script the page items respond—their positions change relative to the master page move!

The script releases all of the page numbers and makes a y percentage move based on the number of spreads:

Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 10.40.38 AM.png

Here I've moved the page number on the master and the numbers on the pages move relative to my MP move. Not sure whether this is a bug or a feature:

Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 10.48.29 AM.png

• 5. Re: "Drifting" page numbers - like a dictionary/thesaurus

I guess my prejudice against overriding master objects is showing...

Rob, what happens if you shuffle or adjust the number of pages after running the script? Does re-running fix things, or move a new copy of the number frame?

For the benefit of the OP, I presume the strategy for the script here is to divide the page number by the number of steps you want to allow for the drift, then multiply the remainder by the stepping factor to to adjust the y-coordinate.

• 6. Re: "Drifting" page numbers - like a dictionary/thesaurus

Which makes me think that maybe having the correct number of stepped frame master pages isn't that bad an idea, then use a script with that strategy to apply the correct master. With nothing overridden, there should be no problem running the script multiple times if the page positions change.

• 7. Re: "Drifting" page numbers - like a dictionary/thesaurus

For the benefit of the OP, I presume the strategy for the script here is to divide the page number by the number of steps you want to allow for the drift, then multiply the remainder by the stepping factor to to adjust the y-coordinate.

It's just calculating the move as a percentage of spreads in the document. So a 10 page doc has 4 facing page spreads. In that case the move would be 25%, a 12 page doc would be 20%, etc.

what happens if you shuffle or adjust the number of pages after running the script?

I put a reset in so any overrides would get removed before the reposition, so shuffled pages shouldn't matter, but I haven't tested much.

• 8. Re: "Drifting" page numbers - like a dictionary/thesaurus

Sorry, I thought I had posted the script.

It's Applescript so OSX only. I've assumed the document is a typical book with facing pages with 2 pages per spread. Select the page number you want to adjust on its master page before running the script. If nothing is selected you'll get an error. The positioning is centered on the master's top and bottom margins:

---------------------------------------------------

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

--the selected page number on the master page

set s to object reference of selection

set p to every page of active document

repeat with x in p

set pi to all page items of x

repeat with j in pi

if overridden master page item of j is equal to s then

--resets number if it's been overridden

remove override of j

end if

end repeat

-- the page master page items

set ms to master page items of x

repeat with i in ms

if object reference of i is equal to s then

set pn to override i destination page x

my positionNumber(x, pn)

end if

end repeat

end repeat

end tell

on positionNumber(p, pn)

--gets the percentage amount to move based on number of pages

set c to (count (every spread of active document)) - 3

set i to (index of parent of p) - 2

set pct to i / c

--get the live text area

set tm to top of (margin preferences of p)

set bm to bottom of (margin preferences of p)

set ph to page height of document preferences of active document

set mh to ph - (tm + bm)

--get the page number bounds and its height

set {a, b, c, d} to geometric bounds of pn

set nh to (c - a)

--the amount to offset the y

set yoff to tm - (nh / 2)

--the new y based on percentage

set y to (mh * pct) + yoff

set geometric bounds of pn to {y, b, y + nh, d}

end tell

end positionNumber

• 9. Re: "Drifting" page numbers - like a dictionary/thesaurus

With nothing overridden, there should be no problem running the script multiple times if the page positions change.

Obviously it would be most useful if the document has lots of pages. I've tried shuffling, changing page counts, manually moving the page numbers, and re-running the script doesn't seem to be a problem. Here's 128 pages:

Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 11.38.45 AM.png

• 10. Re: "Drifting" page numbers - like a dictionary/thesaurus
                            Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi Rob,

Very nice!

It seems to have a problem if we add pages in the middle of the pages (delete not tested).

I we want make it work on odd/even pages, it works cool! but a problem on page 1 (page number on the left, instead of on the right) and on the last page, too low!

Anyway a great and very clever script! 

• 11. Re: "Drifting" page numbers - like a dictionary/thesaurus

In order to limit the size of the script (and the time to write it), I made some assumptions about the document. It's "typical" book setup as Facing pages, 2 pages per spread, no page number on the front or back. A bigger script could handle exceptions.

It seems to have a problem if we add pages in the middle of the pages (delete not tested).

If you add, delete or shuffle pages, the script has to be rerun. So here I have 8 pages with 3 spreads

Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 2.03.22 PM.png

If I add a new spread and manually or move a number, the number positions are now wrong, but re-running the script realigns the positions:

Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 2.04.12 PM.png

run again:

Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 2.04.32 PM.png

• 12. Re: "Drifting" page numbers - like a dictionary/thesaurus

but a problem on page 1 (page number on the left, instead of on the right) and on the last page, too low!

If the page numbers are on first and last pages and either side of the spread, then this should work

-----------------------------------------------------

--the selected page number on the master page

set s to object reference of selection

repeat with thePage in (every page of active document)

set pi to all page items of thePage

repeat with j in pi

if overridden master page item of j is equal to s then

--resets number if it's been overridden

remove override of j

end if

end repeat

set ms to master page items of thePage

repeat with i in ms

if object reference of i is equal to s then

set pageNumber to override i destination page thePage

my positionNumber(thePage, pageNumber)

end if

end repeat

end repeat

end tell

--(page, masterpage number object to move)

on positionNumber(thePage, pageNumber)

--gets the percentage amount to move based on number of pages

set c to (count (every spread of active document))

set i to (index of parent of thePage) - 1

set pct to i / c

--get the live text area

set tm to top of (margin preferences of thePage)

set bm to bottom of (margin preferences of thePage)

set ph to page height of document preferences of active document

set mh to ph - bm

--get the page number bounds and its height

set {a, b, c, d} to geometric bounds of pageNumber

set nh to (c - a)

--the amount to offset the y

set yoff to tm - (nh / 2)

--the new y based on percentage

set y to (mh * pct) + yoff

set geometric bounds of pageNumber to {y, b, y + nh, d}

end tell

end positionNumber

• 13. Re: "Drifting" page numbers - like a dictionary/thesaurus

Peter, In case you are interested, here's a link to a file where I've overridden and changed the position of MP items on the page via scripting and I can still move them via the master. I've never seen this before.

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/CuriousMaster.zip

The orange frames were released and repositioned via scripting and the blue frame was released by hand. You can see the orange frames still move with the master even though they all have different positions.

Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 3.19.20 PM.png

master move

Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 3.19.52 PM.png

• 14. Re: "Drifting" page numbers - like a dictionary/thesaurus
                                    Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Rob,

About the script last version, almost perfect! 

I still have a problem with the last page: tested after 0-generation, adding and deleting pages, and master page modifications, it appears that the vertical position of the number page block on the last page is not stable: I've got 3 different Y-offset!

• 15. Re: "Drifting" page numbers - like a dictionary/thesaurus

I see the problem I'm using the variable c for two different things. Should be able fix when I get a minute.

• 16. Re: "Drifting" page numbers - like a dictionary/thesaurus

Here's a compiled version with the fixed variable—seems to work now.

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/DictionaryNumbers.zip