10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2015 9:57 AM by Szalam

New computer / new graphic card

Cidvain

Hello,

At work, we discovered that the new Geforce GTX 9*** was not supporting GPU's for ray traced...

So, what graphic card should i buy to get everything running correctly ?

Any Idea?

Best regards,

Nicolas.

• 1. Re: New computer / new graphic card
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Unless you care to buy one of the older supported cards from the budget bin, you should simply forget about the matter and invest the money in a 3D-plug-in like Element 3D.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: New computer / new graphic card
            Cidvain Level 1

This is because we work with Element 3D that we have this kind of issue.

My problem starts because i can't render anymore a project i made in element on my old pc :/ (wich was rendering on my older pc)

• 3. Re: New computer / new graphic card
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Element 3D's features have nothing to do with AE's GPU usage. They are completely different things. If you have issues, you need to be more specific and provide exact system and version info.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: New computer / new graphic card
                Cidvain Level 1

When i want to render the Element 3D's comp i got this message:

An application has requested mor GPU memory than is available in the system. The application will no be closed.

Error code 6

It has nothing to do with GPU usage? Oo

Version of Element: 2.2 on CC 2014.

CG: Geforce 960 GTX

Intel(R) Core(tm) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHZ

12 GB RAM

Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bits

• 5. Re: New computer / new graphic card
                  Cidvain Level 1

And by the way, even if i am not a pro... when i read this kind of stuff on videocopilot website:

"If you have noticeable banding in textures, you can uncheck this to use full quality textures at the cost of increased GPU memory usage."

It's difficult to say that Element does not use GPU.

• 6. Re: New computer / new graphic card
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your first post made it seem as though you were talking about AE's ray-traced renderer (which won't use the GPU on that particular card).

Element's renderer has nothing to do with whether or not AE supports acceleration of the ray traced renderer with a card.

Mylenium was just saying that whether or not AE's ray-traced renderer can use your GPU has nothing to do with whether Element can use your GPU.

Your post with the Element error message (and the fact that you're using Element and not AE's ray-traced renderer) should have been in your first post.

• 7. Re: New computer / new graphic card
                      Cidvain Level 1

Ho okay, sorry for the confusion.

But now, i am totally lost . I tough that Element was based on the ae ray-traced renderer.

And now, i understand a little bit more why Adobe tells that ae ray-traced shadow is an obselet technology.

So, if i understand correctly, the right question is : why my new graphic card can't render a project wich has been rendered whith an older graphic card?

• 8. Re: New computer / new graphic card

Cidvain wrote:

I tough that Element was based on the ae ray-traced renderer.

That would certainly explain the confusion!

Nope! It's a completely separate thing! And the new version they released yesterday looks great! (I haven't had a chance to work with it yet. )

Cidvain wrote:

And now, i understand a little bit more why Adobe tells that ae ray-traced shadow is an obselet technology.

The reason Adobe says it's obsolete is that they're not supporting the feature anymore.

This doesn't have anything to do with Element (although, Element does most of what the ray-traced renderer did, but faster), but because the AE team has gone for a much better feature. Cinema 4D is included for free with After Effects!  details of CINEMA 4D integration with After Effects CC

Now, it doesn't render blazingly fast like Element does, but it's also an actual, for real 3d software. So you don't have to "cheat" to get reflections, shadows, etc. like Element. And, as the AE team continues working to improve the functionality, C4D and AE's integration will only improve.

Cidvain wrote:

So, if i understand correctly, the right question is : why my new graphic card can't render a project wich has been rendered whith an older graphic card?

That would be a question for Video Copilot's support team. I would look into making sure you have the correct and updated drivers for your GPU and don't have any remnants of the old card or its drivers.

• 9. Re: New computer / new graphic card
                          Cidvain Level 1

The reason Adobe says it's obsolete is that they're not supporting the feature anymore.

This doesn't have anything to do with Element (although, Element does most of what the ray-traced renderer did, but faster), but because the AE team has gone for a much better feature. Cinema 4D is included for free with After Effects!  details of CINEMA 4D integration with After Effects CC

Now, it doesn't render blazingly fast like Element does, but it's also an actual, for real 3d software. So you don't have to "cheat" to get reflections, shadows, etc. like Element. And, as the AE team continues working to improve the functionality, C4D and AE's integration will only improve.

Yes, i work also with cinema 4D since 2010 but i am not confortable with the plugin in c4d. I know that the light is more accurate and not cheated as you said but i use those programs for motion design. It's not so bad if reflection is faked

I prefere modeling / animating in C4D and import in element. (not saying it's the best workflow ever... just a matter of feeling with plugins.)

That would be a question for Video Copilot's support team. I would look into making sure you have the correct and updated drivers for your GPU and don't have any remnants of the old card or its drivers.

I did, email sent to videocopilot as well ^^

Driver have been updated and it's the only graphic card ever been installed on this computer. (we change the entire tower)

If it's not the ae ray-trace render, is it possible that the problem is linked to cuda?

Anyway, thanks all for your time.

• 10. Re: New computer / new graphic card

Cidvain wrote:

It's not so bad if reflection is faked

True! In fact, that's how it's able to render so quickly!

Cidvain wrote:

If it's not the ae ray-trace render, is it possible that the problem is linked to cuda?

Unlikely. Element doesn't use CUDA.