10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2015 8:22 AM by Rick Gerard

Flat Object Rotation

bstnsx704

Hello. I'm very new to After Effects and am trying to build up some assets for a video I am making for work. I built up my asset using some of the features in After Effects, but whenever I try to rotate it the object rotates along a seemingly three-dimensional line towards me diagonally, when all I need it to do is rotate in a flat circle along the background of my composition. I feel like this is probably a really easy fix, but for some reason I just cannot figure out how to get it to rotate the way I need it to.

Thank you very much in advance,

Tom

• 1. Re: Flat Object Rotation
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sounds like you have a 3D layer. Rotation is always around the anchor point. You can select X, Y, or Z or Orientation if it is a 3D layer in the timeline view. You can also change how an image rotates (orientation or axis) in the tool bar. It just takes a bit of getting used to. ALSO, and this is important, only the Active Camera view renders in the final output. Make sure that you are basing your animations on the Active Camera view and not on any of the other views. They are only there for help in positioning elements.

• 2. Re: Flat Object Rotation
            bstnsx704 Level 1

Thank you very much for the response! I go into work again in the morning, so I will give all of this a try once I get there.

• 3. Re: Flat Object Rotation
              bstnsx704 Level 1

Unfortunately, it appears that my object was indeed a 2D layer. I changed it to a 3D layer and tried to rotate the Z-axis on its own, but wound up with the same result. I also double checked, and I am looking in active camera mode.

Where is this orientation/axis toolbar that you had mentioned?

Just for reference, this is what I'm working with:

Screen Shot 2015-06-25 at 10.09.47 AM.png

I'm trying to rotate the outer circle around the rest of the asset on a 2D plane, but I get this instead:

Screen Shot 2015-06-25 at 10.10.07 AM.png

Thank you again!

• 4. Re: Flat Object Rotation
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A 2d layer is warping like that?

What effects have been applied to it?

• 5. Re: Flat Object Rotation

Your screenshot doesn't tell us anything about your layers. We need to see the properties. Three possible problems that I see. One, you are working with non square pixels. Two, you are working on a 3D layer. Three, you have not selected all of the points on the path.

• 6. Re: Flat Object Rotation
                    bstnsx704 Level 1

Do these screenshots help? The opened solid is the one I am trying to rotate at the moment, but all of them are experiencing the same issue.

Screen Shot 2015-06-25 at 10.51.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-06-25 at 10.56.53 AM.png

• 7. Re: Flat Object Rotation
                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are there any effects applied to that layer?

• 8. Re: Flat Object Rotation
                        bstnsx704 Level 1

None that I'm aware of. It should just be solids and masks.

I deleted the preferences and I'm trying a new file from scratch. Going to see how that works out.

• 9. Re: Flat Object Rotation
                          bstnsx704 Level 1

And it looks like deleting preferences and starting up a whole new file seems to have done the trick! Thanks for all of your answers, guys.

• 10. Re: Flat Object Rotation

What are the comp settings for comp 4? I can produce the same result by rotating a circle in a non square comp. This is just a 1000 X 1000 solid with a mask created by double clicking the eclipse tool then transformed or rotated but the catch is that the comp is set to a par of 1.5 and Pixel Aspect ration correction is not turned on in the comp viewer. Notice the PAR in the project panel when the comp is selected. The circle looks perfect before transformation.

Screen Shot 2015-06-25 at 8.21.14 AM.png