5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2015 9:18 AM by Szalam

Is anybody else having a lot of issues with the new updates?

LPHMotionDesign

I'm having no end of problems since updating to CC 2015.

Issues encountered so far;

1. I seem to have very little control over my RAM preview. As soon as I try to do one I have no control over stopping it. I just have to wait until After Effects is done.

2. When using CC 2014 I could always get a nice smooth preview. Now not a single project seems to preview smoothly. The audio rarely works and the frame rate is almost always off. If it was a complex project then I would expect a bit of a struggle but I'm having the same issues with such a basic project with barely any keyframes or effects used.

3. I seem to keep getting graphical errors that I never experienced in CC 2014. When playing back it appears to be wiping my layers out and inserting new ones about 5 rows below. Very odd.

4. This one might be me being a bit silly but I don't like the way the time indicator doesn't move back to where I either start the RAM preview from or start the audio preview.

These all seems to be linked to the preview options in the new update.

Personally I was more than happy with the old preview system. The 2015 is much slower and much more buggy.

Is anybody else having similar or other problems with the new release of CC?

Other than that I love the new face tracking tools.

• 1. Re: Is anybody else having a lot of issues with the new updates?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some of the "bugs" you're experiencing (like the CTI movement) are features of the new (and significantly improved) previewing system. You can change the behaviors and control the previews a lot more than you could in the past, you don't have to wait for a render to work in the interface, and you can work while a preview runs!

More info on previewing here: http://adobe.ly/1MYbhYT (including info on how to change to be more similar to previous versions)

• 2. Re: Is anybody else having a lot of issues with the new updates?
            LPHMotionDesign Level 1

Thanks for your response Szalam. I know they're meant to be significantly improved but unfortunately they've done the opposite for me. The updates seem to be struggling to function properly on my mac. I love the idea of the new updates to the preview system, it's just frustrating that they're currently having a negative affect on my workflow. I could just be having some hardware issues but I think it's to much of a coincidence that they've occurred as soon as I've updated.

May I ask how powerful the machine is that you're using?

• 3. Re: Is anybody else having a lot of issues with the new updates?
              Gutter-Fish Level 4

Yes...the new preview system seems to be causing me alot of problems.  The old system was so terrible right?  Who watches the preview while their doing other things.  If I'm creating an effect I'm looking at the effects menus, NOT the preview.   I mean, ok, for certain things it might be useful to tweak effect settings while watching playback but IDK.  It's not like I was ever cursing the old system.

Some of the time indicator weirdness gets fixed with a restart & unfortunately I find myself restart quite a bit because the time indicator gets all wonky on me pretty consistently.   Usually using Numpad-0 to stop playback sends the indicator back to the start and using space bar to stop it stops it where it is.   But with 2015 sometimes it always stops where it is and sometimes it always goes back to the start regardless (fixed with a restart).  Also sometimes it (the red line) stops moving altogether even during playback.(restart fixes it)   One thing restart doesn't fix though is that it seems now I have to double tap to stop playback which is driving me crazy.   I work with narration all the time so this makes it impossible to be accurate.   I have to keep my eye on the waveform and try to remember where I made the first tap then put the indicator as close as I can and start adjusting from there...it sucks.   

What bothers me most about unnecessary changes like this that break so many other things is that I feel like they're only done to justify the annual releases and endless subscription fees.  It seems like change for the sake of change...If it ain't broke don't fix it, and if you do, don't release it till it's solid.  It's like I imagine that they have a meeting and say OK what changes can we make for the 2015 release rather than letting the necessity of change dictate.  And then they send out unstable updates because "it's the 2015 release" so it MUST get released within a certain time frame.  Rant over...lol. Sorry

• 4. Re: Is anybody else having a lot of issues with the new updates?

LPHMotionDesign wrote:

Thanks for your response Szalam. I know they're meant to be significantly improved but unfortunately they've done the opposite for me. The updates seem to be struggling to function properly on my mac. I love the idea of the new updates to the preview system, it's just frustrating that they're currently having a negative affect on my workflow. I could just be having some hardware issues but I think it's to much of a coincidence that they've occurred as soon as I've updated.

It's a major change to the core of the program, so there are bound to be bugs on the very first release. The promised update next month should solve a lot of the initial problems.

If you're having too many issues, I'd recommend using CC 2014.

I work in CC 2015 (to make use of the updated expression handling, uninterrupted previews, etc.) and then open that project file in CC 2014 for rendering. CC 2014 still has multiprocessing but the technology that is enabling the uninterrupted previews in CC 2015 (and paving the way for a MUCH improved rendering system in a "near future" update) isn't compatible with the old (and, frankly, somewhat busted) multiprocessing.

LPHMotionDesignwrote:

Not very. It's my machine at home. Three or four years old. It's got an okay six-core processor, but only 24 GB of RAM and no SSD.

My work machine is much better (dual processors, 48 GB of RAM, etc.), but that is offline and locked down by red tape and idiocy. It only just got upgraded to AE version 12 last week - and only because I've been kicking up a fuss about it for over a year. Once our IT person comes back from his triple-bypass surgery (that only puts you out for a week, right?), I'm going to point out the improved Enterprise & Government options that just released and see if we can at least get CC 2014 up in this place.

• 5. Re: Is anybody else having a lot of issues with the new updates?

PaulB wrote:

The old system was so terrible right?

It was though! Multiprocessing was pretty bad. Use the wrong kind of expression? Sorry, no multiprocessing for this whole comp. Want to preview something real quick? Sorry, gotta take a minute to launch all my processes. Got something reliant on temporal data? Phffff. Got some beautiful shading in Particular? I hope you enjoy this flickering!

The old system was broken and bad. It was a ten-year-old temporary patch to help old software utilize the new hardware. This new previewing system - while a big change (and buggy for some folks) is just the first step towards a MUCH improved entire piece of software including better rendering. This page explains that more in the section on why multiprocessing isn't in this version: features not available in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) | After Effects region of interest

As I've said in other threads, if you like CC 2014, keep using it! Wait for the update next month to knock out these bugs and then try CC 2015 again.

I may not be having the bugs some of you are, but I still keep CC 2014 around and use it. Some of my projects DO benefit from multiprocessing. So I'll use CC 2015 while I work (for the MUCH improved expression handling, uninterrupted previews, etc.) and then use CC 2014 to render. Project files work between 13.2 and 13.5 no problem (...yet ).