7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2015 9:04 AM by Szalam

i know this has been asked alot ..i read all the threads about it but i need to ask one final question..

ahmed ashraf 1987

.am gonna get a new gear including intel 4790K and the gtx 980.
      .i read that the quick fix to that is by removing the cuda text file or adding the card in it...and everyone says that its work fine...but if i did that is there any error that might appear ?

and is there any new that adobe will support the new cards as the After effects also support the same cards ?
      please share your experience and advise me ..as the last supported gtx is the 780 and i cant seem to find it in my country ..please help

• 1. Re: i know this has been asked alot ..i read all the threads about it but i need to ask one final question..
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only thing the GPU accelerated in After Effects was the ray-traced renderer. That is an obsolete feature. (More info here: GPU (CUDA, OpenGL) features in After Effects) Also, if you really wanted to use the ray-traced renderer, you don't need to change the text file in the newer versions of After Effects - AE has a checkbox in the settings to use unsupported cards. The thing is, in their newer cards, NVIDIA changed the Optix library that the ray-traced renderer depended on. So, even if you did change the text file, it wouldn't work with the newer cards anyway.

If you want 3d in After Effects, either use Cinema 4D Lite which comes for free with After Effects CC, or use a third-party plugin like Zaxwerks 3d Invigorator or Element 3d (which will use the GTX 980).

• 2. Re: i know this has been asked alot ..i read all the threads about it but i need to ask one final question..
            ahmed ashraf 1987 Level 1

i agree with you ..but if i used the CPU to work with as the default engine (and i mean working and rendering both ) is it gonna be much slower and gonna cause lag rather than if i used the GPU it not gonna cause lag ..i do not use 3d in after effects right now and if i gonna use am using 3ds max ..my last question is .if i bought the intel 4790K and the gtx 980 and if i used the cpu instead of the gpu it gonna be slower ....so can you advice me ...do i need to get supported card or can i get the 980 and wish that Adobe gonna support it in the future ?

• 3. Re: i know this has been asked alot ..i read all the threads about it but i need to ask one final question..

Did you read the link I gave you?

After Effects doesn't use the GPU to accelerate rendering. What GPU you have doesn't matter for AE.

The only time the GPU matters for After Effects is if you use the obsolete ray-traced renderer or third-party plugins. And, if you do decide to use third-party plugins (Element is much faster to render than 3DS Max), you don't have to worry about what cards are supported for the ray-traced renderer because those cards don't use the ray-traced renderer.

If you don't believe me, read the link I gave you in my last post and look at the system requirements for After Effects: System requirements | After Effects No mention of GPU except that it has to support OpenGL 2.0 and a 1280x1080 display unless you plan to use the ray-traced renderer.

• 4. Re: i know this has been asked alot ..i read all the threads about it but i need to ask one final question..

man its not like i don't believe you ..am grateful that you took some of your time to reply ..

the thing is am just worried and i dont understand this thing...i checked your link and i watched the video .regarding the raytrace render ....my question is now..what is the difference between using the raytrace render while working in the time line ( Final mode ) and when rendering and using only cpu to do both...is it quite faster in gpu ?

(The ray-traced 3D renderer can run on the CPU, but the CPU-based ray-traced 3D renderer is rather slow in Final Quality mode. That’s why After Effects also has a GPU-accelerated 3D renderer. To use the GPU-accelerated ray-traced 3D renderer, you must have one of a specific set of Nvidia graphics cards. The GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer depends on the OptiX library from Nvidia, which requires CUDA on an Nvidia GPU.)

Thank you again man

• 5. Re: i know this has been asked alot ..i read all the threads about it but i need to ask one final question..

If you're using the ray-traced renderer to create 3d objects, it's much faster to render those 3d objects with a GPU than a CPU (if you have the right GPU).

However, as I've said, there are much better ways to create 3d in After Effects, so I would never use the ray-traced renderer to make 3d things. If you're not using the ray-traced renderer to make 3d things, then it's just going to make your composition take longer to render for no benefit no matter what GPU you have. The ray-traced renderer is slower to render than the standard renderer.

The only reason to use it, is if you're making 3d objects with it, but why would you when you have better tools available? This is (one of the reasons) why the After Effects team is no longer developing that feature.

• 6. Re: i know this has been asked alot ..i read all the threads about it but i need to ask one final question..

so if am not doing any 3d objects using element 3d or c4d so its not efficient to use the raytrace render ?

as i know or heard that if you are using gpu in final mode ..it will make the working environment faster and it will make the render faster...

and if i used the cpu if the scene is heavy i'll experience some lagging  ?

so am not doing 3d stuff with element right now ..but maybe in the future ..what is ur advice regarding buying the card...980 or 780 ?!

and thank you for your amazing help ..i really appreciate it

• 7. Re: i know this has been asked alot ..i read all the threads about it but i need to ask one final question..

Ahmed Ashraf Ibrahem wrote:

so if am not doing any 3d objects using element 3d or c4d so its not efficient to use the raytrace render ?

The ray-traced renderer has nothing to do with Element or Cinema 4D. Element and Cinema 4D are different (and better) ways of doing 3d than the ray-traced renderer. The ray-traced renderer was the AE way of making 3d depth inside AE without plugins. So, if you use Element or Cinema 4D, you can ignore the ray-traced renderer. Leave your composition set to the standard renderer.

as i know or heard that if you are using gpu in final mode ..it will make the working environment faster and it will make the render faster...

and if i used the cpu if the scene is heavy i'll experience some lagging  ?

That is also not correct. Unless you choose to extrude things using AE's ray-traced renderer, there is no need to turn on the ray-traced renderer. Setting your composition to use the ray-traced renderer will make everything slower.

Again, Cinema 4D, Element, and other plugins DO NOT use the ray-traced renderer. The only thing that used the ray-traced renderer was AE's built-in extrusion feature. If you're not using this extrusion feature, turning on the ray-traced renderer will only make things slower.

The ray-traced renderer can be ignored for the vast majority of people. Don't worry about it. Pay it no attention. Forget it ever existed.

so am not doing 3d stuff with element right now ..but maybe in the future ..what is ur advice regarding buying the card...980 or 780 ?!

That is a question to ask over at the Video Copilot forums. Or, actually, just read through their hardware forums. I believe there are a few discussions about Element and GPUs happening right now. I believe the 900 series does better than the 700 series.