2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2015 2:29 PM by AnneMarie Concepcion

indesign cc library items won't link into indesign

heathera3825127 Level 1

The new 2015 update allows linking graphics from the CC library into the indesign document, so that if it is updated, it will automatically update in the document. However, it will only link objects that come from different programs such as illustrator. When I go to place an item that was created in Indesign, into an Indesign document, it is only possible to place a copy, not place as a link. If I go to place an object made in Illustrator, it links it automatically to the item in the CC library.

Is there an option I'm missing somewhere to allow graphics made in Indesign to link from my CC library into an Indesign document?

• 1. Re: indesign cc library items won't link into indesign
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From a Help file for CC Libraries in InDesign:

"•• Graphic assets in CC Libraries for which the creator app is not InDesign can only be placed as links or

embedded objects from the context menu of the graphic or when dragged onto the document are placed

as linked objects (Default behavior)

•• Graphic assets in CC Libraries for which the creator app is InDesign can only be placed as InDesign

snippets and not as a linked object

•• A placed graphic asset can be relinked to any asset from the CC Libraries with the option of Relink to CC

Libraries… from the context menu and the flyout menu in the Links Panel

•• A placed graphic asset can be relinked to any file locally with the option of Relink… from the context

menu and the flyout menu in the Links Panel

•• Linked assets can be highlighted in the CC Libraries panel, by selecting Reveal in CC Libraries by selecting

a link and opening the flyout or the context menu

•• The complete information for the Link created is shown in the Link Information Panel"

I don't have another computer to test this on at the moment since I'm traveling.  But if you place a graphic asset into a CC Library panel, it is stored in that library. It is stored as an InDesign snippet but it also keeps a PDF file for non-InDesign application

If you open that library on another computer in InDesign, and you placed the same asset, it would place it as a snippet in a new InDesign file. It would be linked to the library.

If you are in Illustrator or Photoshop and you place the InDesign asset, it will be linked to the library, but it would use the PDF portion of the file since those applications don't understand the InDesign snippet format.

• 2. Re: indesign cc library items won't link into indesign
            AnneMarie Concepcion Adobe Community Professional

Steve has written a couple great articles about CC libraries in InDesignSecrets.com, they may shed some light:

https://indesignsecrets.com/indesign-2014-2-february-2015-release.php

and also (perhaps inspired by this thread):

http://indesignsecrets.com/understand-current-limitations-cc-libraries.php

It feels like just a few more features would make CC Libraries in InDesign really really useful!

AM

PS Have you tried out the Collaborate or Share commands in CCL? Pretty neat