34 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2016 10:58 PM by ssprengel

Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6

patrick_palmania

Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6

I know it is a privilege for CC user but there are people who are using LR only and intend not to pay monthly for CC.
      Is this the right thing to do to consumer, Adobe?

I feel very disappointed.
      Adobe, you are pushing people away from using your product unfortunately.
      (I presume, Adobe may reply in their mind - "Like we care")

• 3. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

There is a kind offer of free presets that mimic the Dehaze filter at-

Prolost Dehaze for Lightroom 6.1 — Prolost

• 4. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
            patrick_palmania Level 1

Thanks Wobertc

Expecting something from Adobe too which wouldn't happen

• 5. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
              SistersCountry Level 1

The whole philosophy of now having diverging feature sets between the Standalone and the CC versions is unfortunate and misguided. Not providing notice that this would be forthcoming does a tremendous disservice to those who struggled in balancing which purchase path to do on the release of LR 6. We had no notice that the future would be different for both versions. It is one thing to discontinue a version. It is entirely another to bestow favored status and exclusive features on one but not the other and to decide to do so after the initial roll-outs were purchased.

• 6. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                Keith_Reeder Level 4

patrick_palmania wrote:

Expecting something from Adobe too which wouldn't happen

Adobe has been crystal clear for a long time that Lr 6 "standalone" would follow the same regime, with regard to significant new features, that all previous standalone versions have followed - nothing big introduced in "dot" releases - so if you want to see DeHaze, you'll be waiting for Lr 7.

No secret, no change in strategy, and if Lr CC didn't exist, this thread wouldn't even exist - it's literally "business as usual" for the standalone, and that's exactly what you've paid for.

It's your choice not to sign up to CC. If you want DeHaze now, it's easy enough to get...

• 7. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                  Keith_Reeder Level 4

SistersCountry wrote:

The whole philosophy of now having diverging feature sets between the Standalone and the CC versions is unfortunate and misguided.

"Misguided"? Why - because it doesan't suit you?

SistersCountry wrote:

Not providing notice that this would be forthcoming

<snip>

We had no notice that the future would be different for both versions. It is one thing to discontinue a version.

They've provided - and have been providing - notice about this for the best part of a year!

Just one example:

Compare Lightroom CC vs. versions 5 & 6 | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC history

6th line down...

It's not Adobe's fault you haven't paid attention to what has been all over the internet for months now.

• 8. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                    bogdan1970 Level 1

I am finding myself in the same position, is ALL my fault that I didn't finished to read all the small print from the license agreement, check first with a lawyer before buying, read most of the reviews and comparison sites at first. My bad!

Luckily still for me, software like Capture One and DxO, which I use alternatively, gives me a choice to go away from Lightroom.

• 9. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                      Keith_Reeder Level 4

Yep, and Optics Pro has a very similar tool - ClearView - which I use a lot.

• 10. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                        Duane R. Thompson Level 1

I moved away from DXO, might have to look at moving back,

• 11. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                          patrick_palmania Level 1

Considering Capture One and Optic Pro in future purchase too.
                          Good bye Adobe...in near future

PS: You do not need sex, Adobe has just screwed you

• 12. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                            SistersCountry Level 1

In response to Keith_Reeder,

No, 'misguided' because it is unnecessarily alienating many longtime Lightroom users who are concerned about losing any access to their LR catalogs if they terminate a monthly subscription for any reason. This is a bit different than a PS situation due to the fact that so much of any editing is catalog stored, not file stored without going through extra hoops. Adobe has said for quite a while the LR6 would be available in both iterations and there also have been features added in mid-versions regularly over the past version histories.

Are you confident that the comparison page you linked to was published and available at release time of 6/CC2015? I and others I checked with sure never encountered that one when decisions were being made. I don't recall that the haze option was even being advertised up front at that juncture. There is a lot I don't recall these days though.

• 13. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                              Wolf Eilers Level 4

You don't lose all access to your Lr catalog when you terminate a subscription. The Develop module is not available but access to all previously developed images is still possible.

More details here: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/cancel-cc-subscription-youll-lose-work-will/

• 14. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                                SistersCountry Level 1

Thanks for that Wolf. I had not caught that change from the original LRCC rollouts.

So would this only be applicable to those who had a perpetual LR5 license and had done the 5.5-5.7 updates? "As long as you’re running Lightroom 5.5 or later" Or would this also apply to anyone starting fresh on LRCC as well with no standalone? And correct that LR 4, 5.0-5.4 users would still have issues because of catalog design differences?

I see this from Victoria further down that page in response to a reader in the Comments Section below the article:

"I should note that when LR6 comes out, if you upgrade your catalog to the LR6 version, you wouldn’t then be able to open that upgraded catalog in the perpetual 5.7 version because the catalog format isn’t backwards compatible. (That’s always been the case if you upgraded using a trial version and decided not to purchase too.) There are partial workarounds by writing most of the settings to XMP, or you could buy a LR6 perpetual license, but just bear that in mind if you think you’re likely to stop the subscription."

Would this not mean that you if you have your Catalog in the latest LRCC version that it would no longer compatible with the LR 5.7 format, rather it is now in the LR6 Format?

• 15. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LR 6 standalone and LR 2015 CC are the same program so they use the same catalog format.  They just respond to a different licensing environment and show or hide the CC-now-6-later features.

• 16. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                                    Keith_Reeder Level 4

SistersCountry wrote:

No, 'misguided' because it is unnecessarily alienating many longtime Lightroom users who are concerned about losing any access to their LR catalogs if they terminate a monthly subscription for any reason.

Even if that were true - which is is not - why is that "misguided"? Adobe owes you precisely nothing in that situation, if you choose to stop your subscription.

Again: you not liking something does not equate to it being a bad decision on Adobe's part: a vociferous minority of customers might have decided to declare themselves "alienated", but the fact is that it's impossible to please everyone, and frankly I doubt Adobe much cares about the outliers who insist on finding fault with CC, which - like it or not - is selling like hot cakes.

• 17. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                                      DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

When one purchases LR 6 (perpetual license version) full or upgrade, one gets the features for that version of Lightroom. Future updates of the product cycle (usually 18 to 24 months) will provide bug fixes and new raw camera support, additional lens profiles and additional camera tether capture. This has always been the case with earlier versions of Lightroom.

Additional features will be added in future upgrades at the price decided at that time.

When one subscribes to the Creative Cloud version, annual/ monthly subscription they can expect to see new features added as they become available.

The same thing is happening with updates to Adobe Camera Raw. Photoshop CS6 continues to get updates which only have new raw camera support and additional lens profiles.

Photoshop CC gets new features. 

• 18. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                                        BKKDon Level 4

DdeGannes wrote:

When one purchases LR 6 (perpetual license version) full or upgrade, one gets the features for that version of Lightroom. Future updates of the product cycle (usually 18 to 24 months) will provide bug fixes and new raw camera support, additional lens profiles and additional camera tether capture. This has always been the case with earlier versions of Lightroom.

Additional features will be added in future upgrades at the price decided at that time.

When one subscribes to the Creative Cloud version, annual/ monthly subscription they can expect to see new features added as they become available.

The same thing is happening with updates to Adobe Camera Raw. Photoshop CS6 continues to get updates which only have new raw camera support and additional lens profiles.

Photoshop CC gets new features.

Honestly, the statement is not quite true. If we go back to LR 5 (no 5.1) so 5.2 was released with the following NEW features:

• A Smoothness adjustment slider has been added to the Detail Panel under Color Noise Reduction. This helps to reduce low-frequency color mottling artifacts on some photos.
                                        • Refinements to the Spot Healing Tool:Smart Preview size has been updated to 2560 pixels on the long edge.
                                          • New Feather control, by popular demand.
                                          • Auto find source method now works better for images with textured areas like rocks, bark, and foliage
                                          • Auto find source method now prefers source areas within the crop rectangle
                                        • Smart Preview size has been updated to 2560 pixels on the long edge.
                                        • Refinements to the Local Adjustment Brush:
                                          • Right Click (Windows) / Control-click (Mac) on a brush adjustment pin to bring up a context menu to duplicate or delete
                                          • Control+Alt+Drag (Windows) / Command+Option+Drag (Mac) on a brush adjustment pin to clone (duplicate) that adjustment

Now, to put it simply Adobe is trying to force users to the CC but unfortunately there is no satisfactory exit as you are no longer able to edit your images after you exit. Can you imagine that after 5 years of using CC you have lost all capability to edit your images with a product you have paid $600+ for.

Now other software suppliers that offer monthly rental plans have chosen to supply you with the version you stopped on so you can continue to do what ever work you have been doing.

Adobe is quite sinister in its application of the CC ... all you are left with when you opt out is a cataloging system.

Unfortunately I also don't understand why users on this forum are defending Adobe as the truth of the matter is you are buying something like a cable tv subscription ... you stop paying it ends.

• 19. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                                          SeanMcCormack Adobe Community Professional

Except that 5.2 was released in the same financial quarter as 5.0. Whereas 6.1 wasn't.

• 20. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                                            Keith_Reeder Level 4

BKKDon wrote:

Adobe is quite sinister in its application of the CC ... all you are left with when you opt out is a cataloging system.

Oh, rubbish Don! What's sinister about "if you don't pay you can't play"? Enough with the immotive, hyperbolic, histrionics.

BKKDon wrote:

Unfortunately I also don't understand why users on this forum are defending Adobe as the truth of the matter is you are buying something like a cable tv subscription ... you stop paying it ends.

We're not "defending" - we're simple explaining a perfectly reasonable reality that seems to be utterly lost on many. We just happen to be fine with it, because - y'know - it's business. Adobe isn't a charity.

• 22. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                                              BKKDon Level 4

Keith_Reeder wrote:

BKKDon wrote:

Oh, rubbish Don! What's sinister about "if you don't pay you can't play"? Enough with the immotive, hyperbolic, histrionics.

BKKDon wrote:

We're not "defending" - we're simple explaining a perfectly reasonable reality that seems to be utterly lost on many. We just happen to be fine with it, because - y'know - it's business. Adobe isn't a charity.

Keith,

What you are clearly stating here is that Perpetual Licence holders 'don't pay' I beg to differ because I have paid and paid for every upgrade and yes I chose not to go with the subscription service. In fact I do pay as do all other perpetual licence holders, why should subs get support where people who pay up front don't?

And the fact that Adobe doesn't provide support for a product they sell is NOT perfectly reasonable ... most people, not only I, would like support for the lifetime of that product. And, before you jump in, I mean for the 'current' lifetime, i.e. whilst v6 is out there should be technical support for v6.

Clearly this is only MY opinion and I expect that from items I purchase ... as I receive from ALL other software that I use.

Regards, Don

• 23. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                                                SeanMcCormack Adobe Community Professional

Lightroom 6 dot releases will get exactly the same support for bug fixes, lens profiles and camera support as always. It won't get features because that is the legal precedent set down in the SOX act, preventing them from adding features to existing software. Adobe are not the only software company that do this, Avid do it also and it applies to all publicly traded companies. Subscriptions are recurring payments so the software is not subject to the same law, so new features can be added. It's not sinister, it Adobe complying with the law.

We've already seen that anyone can get access to Dehaze via preset. You don't even need to get the presets, you can switch to trial mode and have the features for 30 days and make your own presets.

• 24. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                                                  BKKDon Level 4

seanmcfoto wrote:

Lightroom 6 dot releases will get exactly the same support for bug fixes, lens profiles and camera support as always. It won't get features because that is the legal precedent set down in the SOX act, preventing them from adding features to existing software. Adobe are not the only software company that do this, Avid do it also and it applies to all publicly traded companies. Subscriptions are recurring payments so the software is not subject to the same law, so new features can be added. It's not sinister, it Adobe complying with the law.

We've already seen that anyone can get access to Dehaze via preset. You don't even need to get the presets, you can switch to trial mode and have the features for 30 days and make your own presets.

Sorry, I guess this has diverged a little as I was talking about technical support ... e.g. contacting support if you have a technical problem. And on the subject of SOX it is only a legal requirement in the USA and only refers to separation of duties ... i.e. developers don't provide admin etc

"You don't even need to get the presets, you can switch to trial mode and have the features for 30 days and make your own presets." - sure you can do that if you change the Adobe ID.

In fact it is neither here nor there as the major question is about support ... there is no way apart from this and other forums to get technical support for the products. And yes we see this is a Adobe direction and, of course, Adobe is a corporation that can choose their own direction but that doesn't make it any more palatable as we do pay for the product we use ... maybe Adobe should provide paid support

• 25. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                                                    thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Patrick Imrutai wrote:

I know it is a privilege for CC user but there are people who are using LR only and intend not to pay monthly for CC.

Is this the right thing to do to consumer, Adobe?

Yes! It's clear or it should be clear to anyone who reads about the differences in both price and functionality that CC gets regular updates with new functionally and LR6 perpetual doesn't, just bug fixes and camera support.

IF LR 6 perpetual got the same upgrades to functionality as LR CC, would that be the right thing for Adobe to do towards it's CC subscribers? No, not at all. Especially after Adobe has made this clear and has historically done just this with perpetual vs. subscription customers long before LR5!

• 26. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                                                      thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Robert Cullen wrote:

There is a kind offer of free presets that mimic the Dehaze filter at-

Prolost Dehaze for Lightroom 6.1 — Prolost

Just make sure you get 201 presets or you're not getting the same Dehaze functionality. 201 presets, talk about a kludge.

• 27. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                                                        mojebabo

Lightroom CC, it's supposed to be used everywhere, on every PC or laptop as long you have an internet connection. So stop saying I can't afford a monthly CC Lightroom subscription. I bought the Lightroom 6 because I always work my photos at home, regardless where the photos were shot. It's not right that Adobe doesn't upgrade the perpetual licence version the same way, the Lightroom CC is upgraded.

• 28. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6

When you pay more you get more.  Those with LR 6 can pay more when LR 7 comes out and the Dehaze filter should be available, then, assuming a LR perpetual license is still available.

• 29. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                                                            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

mojebabo wrote:

Lightroom CC, it's supposed to be used everywhere, on every PC or laptop as long you have an internet connection. So stop saying I can't afford a monthly CC Lightroom subscription. I bought the Lightroom 6 because I always work my photos at home, regardless where the photos were shot. It's not right that Adobe doesn't upgrade the perpetual licence version the same way, the Lightroom CC is upgraded.

What does working on your photos at home have to do with anything? Lightroom is always installed locally on your computer regardless of what you purchase a standalone version or subscribe to the creative cloud.

• 30. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                                                              pfield69 Level 1

I thought my license gave me free upgrades?

I wasn't expecting to be left behind. cc is great if your work pc is on the internet, which mine is not.guess the

I guess the only solution is to down load the CC trial reverse the code and then add it to my stand alone. It may be against the T&Cs but who cares when the supplier laughs at you

• 31. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                                                                dj_paige Level 9

CC will work fine when you are not on the Internet, you just have to connect every 30 days to verify your license.

Lightroom 6 gives you free bug fixes, new camera support and new lens support. It does not provide new features like Dehaze.

• 32. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                                                                  kentdesign Adobe Community Professional

Some of us responding in this forum are or were beta testing Lightroom during development. The DeHaze filter was not in LR version 6 when we were testing it. We first saw it and tested it just before it was added as a new feature! In other words, LR 6 came out both as a stand alone and as part of CC exactly with the same features.

Then the engineers added DeHaze and a few other items, sent it out to beta, and then it finally came into LR CC as a new feature.

In the olden days of all products, you had to wait for 18 months - even 24 months - to get any new features waiting for the next full release of Photoshop or Lightroom. So what is different today for those who want to purchase the stand alone?

And if you do the math, paying $149 for a full version and then paying $79 for an upgrade each year, actually costs more than purchasing the photographer's bundle CC for under $120 a year - where you get Photoshop to boot.

We are not defending Adobe. It just makes more sense and cents - at least for everyone except the book authors who are perpetually playing catch up with the new feature releases and the author deadlines!

• 33. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6
                                                                    pfield69 Level 1

unfortunately My work PC has no internet access.
                                                                    I tried CC but constantly needs internet relicensing

• 34. Re: Complaint: No Dehaze in standalone LR 6

You’ll need to wait until LR 7, then, if there is a LR 7.