4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2015 7:43 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere elements 13 reverts to trial version?

larrysez

I purchased, downloaded and installed Premiere Elements 13 a week ago, Functioned properly but suddenly, it will not open.

When I double click desktop icon, pop up asks me if I want to license or try a trial version.

90 minutes with tech chat got me nowhere. I do NOT want to re-install - the download took over an hour and I

have saved work on my installed version. (And if I did re-install, I can imagine facing the same situation again.)

I can't be the first one with this problem. Anybody got a fix?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere elements 13 reverts to trial version?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

larrysez

What computer operating system is involved? Did you install the program to the default location on the Local Disk C?

For now, I am assuming Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit as your computer operating system.

When you get the pop up about License This Product or Continue Tryout, what do you do? You should be selecting License This Product and going through the instructions for that. That is the closest you are going to get to not having to do a uninstall/reinstall with a cleaner in between. Did you and "tech chat" go through that and that did not work to get the program running again?

There is no one fix fits all. The first step is above License this Product. Does that work to solve the problem?

Usual drill questions:

1. Does the problem exist with or without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled? Were they disabled when you downloaded and installed the program in the first place?

2. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer? Are you running the program as administrator? What happens if you right click the program's desktop icon and select and apply Run As Administrator? Please go to Local Disk C\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 13\Adobe Premiere Elements.exe. Right click that file, select Run As Administrator. Then double click the file to try to open the program. Does that work?

3. Is your video card/graphics card driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card or the manufacturer of the computer?

4. What is not opening - one of your existing projects or the whole program? Do you get as far as the Welcome Screen?

We could buy time by deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (preferences) on the hard drive, and, if that did not work, the whole 13.0 Folder in which it exists

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 13.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the whole path cited.

5. Do you remember how you had the Scratch Disks set up? Right now we cannot get at them in Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks if you cannot open the program.

6. What is a description of your computer resources?

What did tech chat recommend - uninstall and reinstall, and you said no way? You may be forced into Yes if all of the above does not work. To increase the odds of the uninstall reinstall working to solve your problem, I would suggest the following scheme

1. Uninstall the usual Control Panel way

2. Do a free ccleaner run through to get rid of left overs from incomplete uninstall reinstall of Adobe or non Adobe products.

CCleaner - Download

3. Reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

You should not lose saved closed projects with an uninstall reinstall.

If you do not want to troubleshoot the product, have purchased download from Adobe, and are within 30 days of that purchase, consider return/refund.

Return, cancel, or exchange an Adobe order

We are not Adobe here. Rather user to user.

Consider.

ATR

Add On...Are you running the program with an Internet connection?

• 2. Re: Premiere elements 13 reverts to trial version?
            larrysez Level 1

Thanks for the answer, but perhaps I wasn't emphatic enough in one key sentence in my query.

The program functioned perfectly for a week - which would negate any question regarding anti-virus, firewalls, scratch disks, Quick Time, computer resources (more than adequate) etc.

The problem is not my computer - the problem is with Adobe's download/the way they license their software. I've

done more searching and see others have encountered the same problem, yet no one - most of all Adobe -- has a fix. Ridiculous.

I've spent several hours on this now, Tech help was a joke - after giving concise description of the problem, I was asked - repeatedly -

"did you install the software?" How would I run it for a week if I had not installed it? How dare they waste my time with clueless techs?

If this is the caliber of Adobe

support, ATM,  I'll take your final suggestion and opt for a refund.

Bye bye, Adobe.

• 3. Re: Premiere elements 13 reverts to trial version?
              aksagarw Adobe Employee

Hi Larrysez, if you have serial number , please click on license this software and give that serial number. as your product was working fine for some days and then it went into trial, you might have done sign-out which de-activates the product and shows start trial screen.If you do not have serial number you could find it on adobe site under your account's My Products. See http://www.adobe.com/ Sign In with your Adobe ID and Password In the Search Field, type in My Products, and follow the path to My Products. Please let us know if that worked for you.

• 4. Re: Premiere elements 13 reverts to trial version?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

larrysez

Thanks for the reply.

I will mention again. I am not Adobe. This is user to user, visitor with lots of hands on work (successful) with Premiere Elements versions 2 to 13. And, I am not affiliated with Adobe in anyway.  I do not necessarily agree with all your conclusions about what the problem could not be, but if you want to pursue trying to get your program to work for you again, we can in a mutual search for answers from troubleshooting.

The frequency of the Adobe presence in this forum is undefined.But your thread appears to have attracted the attention of Adobe Staff.

And, it appears that Adobe Staff and I have asked you first to follow through on the License This Product in the dialog that you are getting.

Have you done that at least to start the troubleshooting?

It is up to you what is in your best interests (time wise and technology wise), but, if and when you decide you want my assistance in troubleshooting this matter and you are open to the troubleshooting suggestions, I would be glad for the opportunity to help.

But, for now, since you have Adobe Staff attention, I will leave it for you and Adobe Staff to discuss your situation.

Best wishes in whatever your decisions are in this matter.

ATR