10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2015 5:44 AM by Keith_Reeder

Lightroom CC 2015 crashes repeatedly on w7x64

Lufthansen Level 1

The Lightroom 5 standalone worked fairly decent on my pc (w7 - 64bit, 32gb ram), but the new Lightroom CC 2015 keeps crashing. The result is endless waiting for the program to ingest my pics, and it keeps dropping recently added metadata. This seems to be two steps forward and five steps back, as the dropped metadata and sluggish behaviour used to be a Lightroom 4 problem.

Anyone else have issues with sluggish Lightroom CC 2015? Memory leak? Not fully tested with video cards?

Whatever the reason; What used to be a straight forward DAM job now takes forever. Example: Synchronizing folder after crash takes an hour and a half.

Not cool.

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 crashes repeatedly on w7x64
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, try deactivating the GPU acceleration and see if this helps: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html#Troubleshooting

Also, make sure you are updated to 2015.1

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 crashes repeatedly on w7x64
            Keith_Reeder Level 4

Are you getting any error messages when it crashes?

I have to say that on my machine (Win 8.1, 16 gb RAM, Radeon R7 260X GPU) Lr CC 2105 is bomb-proof - and really fast, with GPU aceleration..

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 crashes repeatedly on w7x64
              Franxperience Level 1

I have the same problem. No error message, just a blue screen.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 crashes repeatedly on w7x64
                Franxperience Level 1

LR says I don't have a supporting GPU for hardware rendering so I have not filled the checkmark.

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 crashes repeatedly on w7x64
                  F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A Blue-screen from Windows (BSOD) or a blue screen with a white cross in LR Develop?

Did you try the suggestion and turn off the GPU acceleration?

And please stay in one thread for the very same topic.

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 crashes repeatedly on w7x64
                    Franxperience Level 1

BSOD, GPU accelleration turned off

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 crashes repeatedly on w7x64
                      Lufthansen Level 1

Issue with chrashing and sluggish behaviour happens with gpu enabled and disabled. No difference. Also, in terms of the metadata; have a look at the attached video. It is me trying to add keywords to 16 images while the Lightroom is importing existing images (missing from the catalog due to an earlier crash). In my catalog set up, metadata is set to be written immediately. I also use dng files to avoid sidecars.

And yet, it keeps messing with all my metadata. This is extremely frustrating, as I spend money on Adobe to make my life as a professional photographer easier, not harder.

Now please tell me this is not normal behavior, and that Adobe is working to fix this?

166,432 images in this catalog, but happens in smaller catalogs too (25,000-70,000)

If the new Lightroom is built to write metadata changes in the background, which is what I suspect, the process can hardly be called immediately. Also; 16 images should not be a giant task for Lightroom CC 2015.1 on a Windows 7x64 with 32 gb ram and gen 4 i7 processor. The images are on two 01 raid disks with ssd buffers.

Added irony; Lightroom crashed when I tried to quickedit the videofile attached ( original was 637 mb)system info.JPG

• 8. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 crashes repeatedly on w7x64
                        belgiantrotter

same issue here!! well actually many issues!!

I had lightroom cc 2015 running perfectly on window 8.1.

My pc ran into other problems (windows related) so decided to do a clean install of OS. not a biggy because now i have a super clean windows 10 PC.

reinstalled Lightroom CC 2015 and oh boy nothing but problems

- extremely slow (with GPU enabled or disabled... with GPU disable performance and CPU load are ''better'')

- i often start lightroom with that SERVER busy issue (googled for fix and found thread of 2008 and 2009...)

clearly not all drivers of hardware are optimized for windows 10 and lightroom cc 2015 yet...

Just reopened lightroom with GPU enabled. it opens pretty fast... I am not doing ANYTHING and CPU is already using 50% of CPU just for lightoom...

what a mess...

• 9. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 crashes repeatedly on w7x64
                          derekm71231759

I had the same thing happen upon updating to Lightroom CC (2015).  I could browse around the Library tab with no issues, but once I clicked on the Develop tab, the program would freeze and not be recoverable.  Per instructions, I tried to disable graphics card acceleration in the GUI, but trying to un-check that box produces another unrecoverable freeze.  I had to use the method of editing the %appdata%\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences\Lightroom 6 Preferences.agprefs file with Notepad.  Not my most favorite thing to do for such expensive software when everything was working fine before.

Like I said, everything was working fine before with my AMD Radeon HD 5800.  It's not brand new but it used to be a fairly high-end card.  And yes, I did double-check.  The drivers are 100% up to date from AMD.  My windows installation is also fairly fresh, about 3 months old.

It seems that I am not the only one who had a working graphics card prior to updating.  I'm not comfortable with the idea that I may be asked to buy a new graphics card because Adobe changed some code and doesn't like my graphics card anymore.  Is Adobe working on this issue?

Thank you.

• 10. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 crashes repeatedly on w7x64
                            Keith_Reeder Level 4

This isn't on Adobe - AMD has released a new (beta) driver: AMD Catalyst 15.8 Beta Driver for Windows with the express purpose of resolving "issue 424009":

• [424009] Adobe® Lightroom may crash if GPU rendering is enabled

Have you tried this driver?