3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2015 3:34 PM by john beardsworth

How do you use Lightroom mobile

Ronson Whitaker

I have tried to use Lightroom mobile as my main sourcing tool to bring photos into my catalogue and have had much confusion and maybe lost photos.  Here are my findings.  Any help will be appreciated.

My first thoughts where to move images from the mobile collection into the main catalogue.  This got confusing when duplicates where found caused by wrap around and multiple phones. The normal method of importing fixes this by including the file rename mechanism.

The next problem was the missing files because of sync problems.  I thought I would simply go back to the usual USB import but found that because the files where already in the catalogue due to the mobile generated folders I could not tell what was missing or what was new.

I have been using computers all my life and got totally confused attempting to ensue all my files got into the main catalogue.

Placing images on the "C" drive doesn't work for me I operated with a large raid external storage and a small "C" drive.

I will need to remove any LR generated folders before using USB import to ensure all files are captured.

I will be using this LR Mobile more as a toy until I can get a solid procedure in place.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: How do you use Lightroom mobile
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ronson Whitaker wrote:

I have tried to use Lightroom mobile as my main sourcing tool to bring photos into my catalogue

What do you mean here? Main sourcing tool for photos taken on the phone/tablet? In that case, fine, have a collection called Camera Roll or similar and set it to automatically import new photos. If by main sourcing tool you mean for photos taken on real cameras, take a step back. For these photos, Mobile doesn't change how you previously imported photos. It's not intended a substitute for taking a laptop on the road - the workflow is not camera->device->computer, it's camera->computer->device->computer.

Ronson Whitaker wrote:

Placing images on the "C" drive doesn't work for me I operated with a large raid external storage and a small "C" drive.

I will need to remove any LR generated folders before using USB import to ensure all files are captured.

They appear on your C drive because by default Windows puts the Pictures folder on that drive. In Lr, you can drag the newly-imported photos from Lr's Imported Photos folder and drop them in a folder where you want. That's what I do, so nothing is stored for long on C. Alternatively, in Windows you can move the My Picture folder's physical location - right click My Pictures and choose Location (that's Windows 7).

John

• 2. Re: How do you use Lightroom mobile
            Ronson Whitaker Level 1

Thanks for the location change reminder - forgot about that.

Yes only mobile devices - sorry.

When can you delete from camera roll safely?  With two phones and an iPad what about image name duplication.  I kinda like the rename feature with ordinary import using a prefix etc.Is there raw files from some camera apps that don't get copied?

Thanks for your help?

• 3. Re: How do you use Lightroom mobile
              john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No easy answer. By "camera roll" we're talking about the real iOS one. Once I see the files have arrived in LrDesktop and I've renamed them, then I know I can delete the copies from camera roll. Ideally LrM would do so when it imports them, but Apple don't appear to allow it to do so.