2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2015 12:48 AM by cc_merchant

Looking for opinions on the below specs for entry level video editing on ppcc

eamond52215058

Screenshot_2015-06-20-21-34-24.png

Hi totally new to video editing just looking to take it on as a hobby.

Considering the above spec. Just wondering what your thoughts on it are for entry level.

Will be recording from canon DSLRs. I don't mind longish rendering times just want play back to be reasonably smooth when editing and applying effects .

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• 1. Re: Looking for opinions on the below specs for entry level video editing on ppcc
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

i would suggest something more powerful, if you start applying effects with that cpu, you may find it lacking. if you are on a tight budget, it may work, but wont have smooth playback with some effects. if you have to go amd to save money, try to get the fx-8350 at least.

note that currently there is an known amd bug in speedgrade & premiere lumetri, that adobe has refused to fix for over 7 months. use amd at your own risk.

if you can spend more, i would recommend an intel i7-4790k or i7-4790 (without the k, is a bit slower), 16 gb ram, and gtx 960. the gtx 750 ti is a cheaper option, only if required to meet budget and not planning on using the new lumetri color tools.

• 2. Re: Looking for opinions on the below specs for entry level video editing on ppcc
            cc_merchant Level 4

Entry level IMO means affordable and not super fast. However, Canon DSLR is very demanding in terms of hardware.

The system specs shown meet the criterium affordable, but that is all. It is downright VERY SLOW and does not offer any expansion options. About everything that can be wrong in an editing system for DSLR material, is wrong in the specs shown:

• Wrong CPU. AMD is not suitable for editing. Go for an i7 quad core.
            • Insufficient memory. 8 GB is not enough. Go for at least 16 GB.
            • Only a single 7200 RPM disk is not enough. You need at least three physical disks.
            • Only a 420W PSU. Not enough. You need at least 650W PSU to allow some expansion.
            • GTX 750 video card is OK with the specs shown, but not enough for DSLR material. Go for the GTX 960.

See Tweakers Page - What kind of PC to use?