5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2015 6:36 AM by A.T. Romano

changing still duration

ddude

Hi, I am using adobe premiere elements 11 and am importing still photos for a slideshow for our year end celebrations for our school. How do i change the duration of how long each picture is show for? When I import it, it shows time stretch of 5 seconds, id like to do a default of 3 seconds. I did it before, but do you tihnk i could remember.

Thanks.

Dean

• 1. Re: changing still duration
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dean

What computer operating system? And, is your set up for NTSC TV Format or PAL TV Format? For now I will assume NTSC with its frame rate of 30 frames per second.

1. Before you import your stills into the project, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and set the Still Image Default Duration from  150 frames (represents 5 seconds in the 30 frames per second system) to 90 frames (represents 3 seconds).

2. If you already have clips on the Timeline, select all the 5 second clips, right click anywhere in the selection, select Time Stretch in the resulting pop up menu, and then in the Time Stretch dialog, change duration from 00;00;05;00 to 00;00;03;00.

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...

Might be of interest ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Time Lapse Video Basics

To select all the clips at one time for the duration change (as applicable)

a. with the mouse cursor, draw a rectangle around the wanted stills

or

b. hold down the Shift key (Windows), and click on each still wanted in the selection.

• 2. Re: changing still duration
            Chris@Badgers Level 1

Hi Can I join in? Belatedly. Does that work? RE 1 above , I used to do that in PE 10 as described , but today was struggling as couldn't find it as Option in PE12 anywhere. Nor any reference in manual. Has the option been taken out. RE 2 . This is good as it allows you to do  after loading media so thanks for that.

• 3. Re: changing still duration
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris

Premiere Elements 12/12.1....are you working on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit or some version of Mac?

Please check out the following Adobe documents...

I suspect there is a subtle difference in path to description for the Still Image Default Duration - Windows vs Mac

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/set-duration-imported-still-images.html

Compare

Windows Edit Menu/Preferences/General

vs

Mac Adobe Premiere Elements/Preferences/General

The link points to 13, but I suspect that this is the same for 11 and 12 as well.

Please review and consider and then let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: changing still duration
                Chris@Badgers Level 1

Romano Thanks again for prompt reply. Great service. Well I have cracked this one. Its bizarre. On PC with PRE 12, win 7 ,its as it was in previous versions. ON MAC/ Yosemite,  selecting EDIT/PREFERCES only shows subset of options, and does not include Stills duration. BUT  I was exploring and found if you select the Programme name  in the menu bar, you get drop down , which includes Preferences ,expand that and hey presto all the options are there. All part of learning the MAC. Wonder if this is documented anywhere! I do find it hard sometimes to find things on the Help but Forums great . Keep up the good work. Will soon be up to speed on MAC! Chris  

• 5. Re: changing still duration
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris

Thanks for the good news that you have located the Still Image Default Duration in your Premiere Elements Mac.

Your progress sounds great.

Best wishes

ATR