10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2015 12:35 PM by A.T. Romano

Do some of the Adobe Premiere Element Menus cause DVD burn failures?

DavidTX1986

Do some of the Adobe Menus cause DVD burn failures?   What should have been a 10 minute project for a small 4 minute video took hours as the DVD burn stopped at 4% and then gave a "Something prevented the DVD burn from being completed" message.  I was finally able to troubleshoot it down to the Menu template and when a looping audio clip was added.  The Menu was built for a looping audio clip but when I removed it the DVD burned just fine.

• 1. Re: Do some of the Adobe Premiere Element Menus cause DVD burn failures?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

DavidTX1986

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

What specific Movie Menu (Disc Menu) theme? What was the duration of the audio on the hard drive that you browsed to and selected in the Movie Menu customization area of the program?

What was the format of the audio clip that you applied to the menu? Please clarify, did you create a looping audio before applying it to the menu? Or, are you referring to the 30 sec built in looping existing for any audio replacement?

What was the menu audio condition when you got the DVD to burn just fine

a. no audio or muted audio for the background replacement audio

b. Adobe looping audio that came with the menu removed

c. other?

I will explore this further if you supply more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Do some of the Adobe Premiere Element Menus cause DVD burn failures?
            DavidTX1986 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply...

Premiere Elements 13.1

Operating System Windows 8.1

64 bit Operating system

Menu Theme: Memories > Family Memories

I deleted the 2nd menu and used only the Title Menu.

I imported my audio clip via the Browse button and selected "Apply Default Transition before loop" (30 second loop built in)

At first I used the entire audio length of 4 min. but thought that might be the issue so I created the smaller clip below, but had the same issue.

Audio Clip format = .wav

Audio Clip length = 00;00;28;17

Total video length is 00;04;37;02

There was no audio with this Menu Theme.  The only way I could get a DVD burn was to have no audio, but I did not try another audio file to test if that would work... I needed the audio content of the file I was planning to use.   Once I got the DVD to burn the audio of the video content was just fine which was also from a .wav file.

• 3. Re: Do some of the Adobe Premiere Element Menus cause DVD burn failures?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

DavidTX1986

Thanks for the details which allowed me to try to confirm Premiere Elements 13/13.1's burn to disc failures which you believed related to Movie Menu Family Memories and the audio background that you created in it.

I could not, which leads me to believe there are other factors involved in your burn to disc problems.

What I did

Premiere Elements 13/13.1

NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 project preset

Movie Menu = Memories/Family Memories which does not come with audio in its main menu or scene selection page

Same audio Clip = essentially 30 seconds duration saved to computer hard drive with file name

(a) borrowed.wav

and

(b) memories_bg_aud.wav

1. In the Movie Menu customization area, browsed to and selected borrowed.wav.

Burn to disc was successful, if I added the borrowed.wav to main, scene selection page, or both.

2. When to

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

DVD Templates

All_Lang

Memories

Family Memories

and in the Family Memories Folder placed the memories_bg_aud.wav. When you do this, the memories_bg_aud.wav will be heard in the main menu and scene selection page as the default. (If need be, I can tell you how to add files to the Family Memories Folder to get audio in just the main menu or just the scene selection page.

Is it just this one particular music clip (your own) that seems associated with the burn failures or is it any music file Adobe's or yours?

Please consider and try the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Do some of the Adobe Premiere Element Menus cause DVD burn failures?
                DavidTX1986 Level 1

A.T. Romano,

Thank you.  I was able to make this work burning a NTSC AVCHD disk from the preset in the AVCHD section.

Previously I was trying to burn a NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD preset from the DVD section. I was using this preset because I wanted to make sure the DVD would run on older model players.  Can you try confirming the failure on this preset?   Are the templates made specific for a certain type of output?  If so, how would I know?

David

• 5. Re: Do some of the Adobe Premiere Element Menus cause DVD burn failures?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

DavidTX1986

Thanks for the follow up and the good news about success with Family Memories in the burn to disc AVCHD.

On the hard drive, Adobe typically has 3 sets (main page/scene selection page) of Movie Menu themes, s for standard, w for widescreen, and hd for high definition. It is the project preset for the project that directs the project as to which one to offer you for use in the Movie Customization area.

NTSC DV Standard, "s"

NTSC DV Widescreen, "w".

Does always work that way since some times you would find a NTSC DV Widescreen project which made available only the "s" version.

Before version 13, you could tell which was the case by reading the Notepad document of the saved closed project file. No more in 13.

High definition, "hd" - typically displaying with HD in top right corner of thumbnail in display of theme choices in Movie Customization. The s and w sets do not have s or w marking on thumbnail.

For the studies that I reported on in your thread, I used the hd project preset of NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30, and the project made available to me the hd version of the Family Memories Movie theme as evidencd by the HD marking in its thumbnail in the Movie Menu themes display area.

I will repeat what I previously reported on, but this time I will use the Premiere Elements 13 project preset = NTSC DVD Widescreen. Destination will be burn to disc DVD disc with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

To be continued....

ATR

• 6. Re: Do some of the Adobe Premiere Element Menus cause DVD burn failures?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

DavidTX1986

The results with NTSC DV Widescreen project preset were the same as that for the NTSC AVCHD HD1080i30 project preset. I did everything the same, except created a new project. Burn to disc DVD disc with Presets = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD was success when Movie Menu Family Memories with my own wav music

a. introduced in menu in the theme folder

and

b. introduced in the Movie Menu customization audio area

The results applied to main menu as well as scene selection menu.

As mentioned, I could not confirm whether s or w menu set for NTSC DV Widescreen in 13. But, I could in version 12. The Notepad document of the saved closed 12 NTSC DV Widescreen project file pointed to Family Memories using the w set.

Please consider. If you want to explore new troubleshooting for the burn to disc that was not successful, please let me know. I would be glad for the opportunity to troubleshoot the issue with you based on further details of that situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Do some of the Adobe Premiere Element Menus cause DVD burn failures?
                      DavidTX1986 Level 1

A.T. Romano

I tried this again and listed the step by step things that I did when getting this failure:

1. Created New Project
                      2. Use “Expert” Mode
                      3. Add Media using Files and Folders method
                        1. Import video clip .m2v file (no audio with file) and place in Video 1
                        2. Import Audio soundtrack .wav file and place in Audio 1
                      4. Go to Tools > Movie Menu
                      5. Select “Family Memories”
                      6. Delete Scenes Menu 1
                      7. Add Menu Background Still picture
                        1. Click Browse and select .jpg from file folder
                        2. Re-adjust picture in menu to center in picture frame
                      8. Add Menu Background Audio
                        1. Click Browse and select short .wav file
                        2. Select “Apply Default Transition before Loop”
                      9. Edit Movie Title to give it proper title (one word in title)
                      10. Click “Done” on Movie Menu
                      11. Save project
                      12. Insert blank TDK DVD-R 1.16 speed 4.7 GB disk into burner
                      13. Go to “Publish + Share” and select “Disk”
                      14. Select “DVD”
                        1. Settings:
                          1. Burn to Disk
                          2. Disk Name (accept default 20150621_071737)
                          3. Burner Location (default) E:hp DVD A DH16AESH
                          4. Copies: 1
                          5. Status = Ready
                          6. Preset: NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD
                          7. Quality: Fit contents to available space <Selected>
                      15. Click “Burn”

Burn Progress

Encoding Menu: completed

Encoding Media: completed

Compiling Media: completed

Burning Disc: immediately goes to 4% and DVD spins up for approximately 30 to 40 seconds but progress doesn’t proceed any further than 4%.

DVD drive stops and ejects disk

Premiere message: DVD Burn Interrupted.   Something is preventing a successful DVD burn.  Use the ISO Image saved at the following location to burn your disk later.   Directory path of .iso file given C:\Users\David\Documents\20150621_071737.iso however it cannot be found in that location.

If I click the “Learn More” link on the error message it takes me to http://www.adobe.com/special/errorpages/404.html which is “Sorry, this page is not available”.

I tried updating the DVD driver software but received the message that the driver loaded is up to date

My next step would be to try another project content and menu to see if it will burn using the same DVD settings.

• 8. Re: Do some of the Adobe Premiere Element Menus cause DVD burn failures?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

DavidTX

Thanks for the details of the burn to disc DVD for DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD issues.

I saw a questionable step in your workflow, but have not been able to establish it as the cause of your issue. But, check it out nonetheless.

You wrote

1. Select “Family Memories”
                        2. Delete Scenes Menu 1
                        3. Add Menu Background Still picture
                          1. Click Browse and select .jpg from file folder
                          2. Re-adjust picture in menu to center in picture frame
                        4. Add Menu Background Audio
                          1. Click Browse and select short .wav file
                          2. Select “Apply Default Transition before Loop”

"Scenes" button will not appear on the main menu unless you have scene markers on the Timeline. No scene markers on the Timeline, no Scenes button on the main menu. And, if no Timeline scene markers, no scene selection page.

And, when you first select the Movie Menu theme, you will see an option at the bottom of that area "Add Menu Markers Automatically For Me". If you do not want scene markers, leave that option unchecked. Do not place scene markers yourself in the Timeline before you get to Tools Menu/Movie Menu/

Nonetheless, I went through the step that you described and still obtained a successful burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

I also looked at with and without a check mark next "Apply Default Transition Before Loop". Made no difference to the outcome in my case. If you have not tried both possibilities, please do.

Problems (producing and finding .iso end product) with ISO Image backup that the program gives you if it cannot do the burn to disc........

Look at the issue with and without the preference related to Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Higher enabled in Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

To test what is going on in the burn to disc issue, please use the burn to folder instead.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13: ISO Image File Size Issue

Please review the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Do some of the Adobe Premiere Element Menus cause DVD burn failures?
                          DavidTX1986 Level 1

Since my last message, I verified my drivers were up to date.   Driver updates were made to the Display Adapter Intel HD Graphic 4600 and the Intel 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller.

I created a new project and changed the workflow to remove the selection check mark for "Add Menu Markers Automatically For Me".   When the menu was selected and displayed, only the Main Menu was loaded confirming that I no longer had to delete the Scenes Menu.   At this point I completed the remaining workflow and attempted to Burn to DVD using the parameters outlined earlier.   However, it had the same failed result.

I next went into Premiere Elements menu bar path: Edit > Preferences > General

The "Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher)" option was selected.  I de-selected this option and clicked the "Okay" button.   I then re-attempted to Burn to DVD using the NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD preset.

Success!   The DVD was burned and confirmed to work in an older DVD player (The AVCHD disk burned earlier did not work in an older DVD player, but did work in a newer Blu-Ray player).

It appears the "Use Hardware Acceleration" default preference option was the problem in preventing the DVD burn.

Thank you A.T. Romano for your prompt responses and help in resolving this problem.

• 10. Re: Do some of the Adobe Premiere Element Menus cause DVD burn failures?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

DavidTX1986

Thanks for the great news of success. Great job of follow through.

And, thanks for working through the suggestions. Appreciated.

Best wishes moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR