8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2015 10:29 AM by J Isner

Problem moving catalog to a new computer

J Isner Level 1

I am in the process of migrating to a new Windows computer.  I had the user data transfer done by a local computer shop, and they did a brilliant job.  On my old computer, my user data was on C:, but on the new computer, C:\ is an SSD boot drive and the data is on D:\.  In particular, Lightroom assets (raw, tiff, etc.) were in C:\Users\Owner\Pictures but are now in D:\Users\John\Pictures.  I understand that there is a symbolic link in Windows that handles of the change in location of the user profile, and virtually my all other programs were able to handle the move from C:\ to D:\ automatically.  But not Lightroom.

When I start Lightroom and open the catalog, all the thumbnails have the "Photo is Missing" exclamation point and all the folders in the Folders panel from Owner on down have the question mark.  If I examine the Folder link in the Metadata panel (see below), I see that the folder locations are hard-coded in the catalog.  Lightroom does not use the symbolic link.

Folder points to C drive.png

What is the right way to get the catalog to point to the correct location?  Do I simply right click on Owner? in the Folders panel (see below), select "Find Missing Folder", then navigate to D:\Users\John?  It seems like such an easy solution that I was tempted to do it without asking first. Or is there another / better way?

find missing folder.png

Running Lightroom CC (2015) on Windows 7 64-bit.

• 1. Re: Problem moving catalog to a new computer
          EricBier Level 3

Do I simply right click on Owner? in the Folders panel (see below), select "Find Missing Folder", then navigate to D:\Users\John?

Yes!

Be sure that you have at least two back-ups of your catalog and all of your photos.  It is easy enough for drives to fail, but the risk increases when making hardware changes.

• 2. Re: Problem moving catalog to a new computer
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes. Give it a try. Although logically it may be better to right-click on My Courses and navigating to the new location of My Courses, ignoring the previous parent folder. All the sub-folders should then correspond to the earlier path and update automatically. 

If it doesn’t work you can always create a new catalog and try again, perhaps right-clicking on Users and choosing “Update Folder Location” or re-connecting folders individually.

• 3. Re: Problem moving catalog to a new computer
              J Isner Level 1

Thanks for the confirmation.  I'll will do it that way. 

Before I had them migrate my data, I backed up the catalog and also backed up the backup to a network drive.  So I can always recover my original catalog if anything goes wrong.  Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Problem moving catalog to a new computer
                J Isner Level 1

"My Courses" is one of many subfolders of "Owner."  So why not just do a Find Missing Folder on Owner? 

Or are you suggesting that if I fix one subfolder, it will automatically fix all of its siblings as well as its parent?

• 6. Re: Problem moving catalog to a new computer
                  J Isner Level 1

When I do "Find Missing Folder" on Owner, I see two possible candidates.  I don't know which one to choose.

find missing folder file dialog.png

---------

I'm guessing that the first one is a symbolic link (it has no Properties, so I can't tell).  If I double click it, I see all the subfolders, including My Courses and Pictures; expanding their paths shows"D:\Users\John\My Courses" and "D:\Users\John\Pictures."  I'm guessing this John is the one to use.

The other "John" read-only.  If I double click it I see the same subfolders as above.

Which one should I use?  What's the difference?  I'm afraid that if I use the wrong one, I will no longer be able to do a "Find Missing Folder"

• 7. Re: Problem moving catalog to a new computer
                    99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You will need the D drive if that is where the images rest. But why the padlock icon? Why is it read only? You will need read and write privileges if you want to be able to edit your photos.

• 8. Re: Problem moving catalog to a new computer
                      J Isner Level 1

I did Find Missing Folder at the Pictures level. The result was total confusion until I restarted Lightroom (see below)

After the Find Missing Folder... there was no change under the OS(C) header in the Folders panel (still all those question marks).  But when I scrolled down to the header Storage (D) I saw all my folders and they were all sync'd -- no question marks or exclamation points on thumbnails.  Curiously, the thumbnails pf photos under OS (C) no longer had exclamation points, and the Folder pointers in Metadata pointed to the D drive!  Total confusion!

But after I restarted Lightroom, the problem cleared up.  The OS (C) header still shows up in the Folders panel, but all the folders below it, except for the top level C folder,

all good now.png

So I would say that the original suggestion (to use Find Missing Folder) should include the hint to restart Lightroom if the folder is on  a different drive.  It is a more complicated situation that Lightroom handles clumsily, but that is just my opinion.