3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2015 1:51 PM by rob day

Batch convert indd files to latest InDesign version

chirrchirr Level 1

I'm a CC subscriber and i use InDesign on a regular basis. This is two years in a row now that i've had to manually resave every single file that was from the previous release in the new file format. I'm curious if there is any tool that would simply batch convert a whole directory of files to the latest version? Trying to avoid the tedium.

Thanks a lot,

Quin

• 1. Re: Batch convert indd files to latest InDesign version
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Put all files i a book file, take care that page numbering does not change, check update files in the book panel, update all numbers in the book panel, then you will not need the book panel anymore.

Maybe someone offers a script, which makes it simpler. You could ask in the scripting forum.

• 2. Re: Batch convert indd files to latest InDesign version
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Quin – you could use Peter Kahrel's script "Batch process":

Free script Batch convert/export InDesign documents | Peter Kahrel

The script (batch) processes files. It can be used to export InDesign documents to PDF or other formats, to convert QuarkXPress and PageMaker documents to InDesign, to update large numbers of InDesign documents to a newer version, e.g. from CS6 to CC, and to downsave documents to previous versions of InDesign.

I did not test "Batch process" with CC-2015 yet…

Uwe

• 3. Re: Batch convert indd files to latest InDesign version
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Trying to avoid the tedium

Batching can be done via scripting, but you could also auto convert when you save via a script. So this AppleScript (OSX only) checks to see if the front document has been converted and if it has saves back to the same path, otherwise it runs a normal save. So you could save the script to your scripts folder and assign it the Command-S key command and you would not get a Save As dialog when you try to save a converted file. Should work for any version of InDesign.

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2015"

tell active document

--get the file's path and name

try

set filepath to file path & name as string

end try

--if it has been converted save to the same path with no dialog, otherwise save

if converted is true then

save to filepath

else

save

end if

end tell

end tell