5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2015 6:18 PM by Tim Kurkoski

Stopping "Current Time Indicator" at a specific time

Cesinhah

How can i stop preview in a specific time? Before CC, one tap on space bar start the preview, and other tap stopped, and the marker (Current Time Indicator) would stop werever i wanted...

now, when i press space bar again, it stop playing with sound, but doesn't stop de video... I have to press spacebar AGAIN to stop it, and the "Current time indicator" goes back from where it has started!

Is there a way to start the preview with sound (so far so good, with one press on spacebar...) and STOP IT with one single CLICK and the Current Time Indicator stops it and doesn't go back?

Sorry for my terrible english, but i believe i made myself clear!

thanks!!

• 1. Re: Stopping "Current Time Indicator" at a specific time
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Previewing in CC 2015 is completely different from CC 2014. Read up on it here: all about previews in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) | After Effects region of interest

• 2. Re: Stopping "Current Time Indicator" at a specific time
            ddqtc Level 1

I am have the same problem as OP.

The documentation you linked to clearly states

"The following actions will stop a preview:

• Press any of the preview keyboard shortcuts: Spacebar, Numpad 0, or Shift + Numpad 0."

This is the exact behaviour that we are not experiencing.

To expand on this issue...

I hit spacebar > The preview starts

I hit spacebar again > Nothing happens, content keeps playing with sound and all

I hit spacebar AGAIN > the playback stops

ALTERNATIVE SITUATION

If all frames are pre-rendered in cache, the problem disappears.

I hit spacebar > Playback starts

I Hit spacebar > Playback stops

There are some other weird situations where pressing the spacebar a second time starts the playback from the beginning of the workarea again... There is no consistency with itself or the documentation.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help diagnose.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Stopping "Current Time Indicator" at a specific time
              Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

ddqtc, keep reading in that section of the article. Specifically:

When a preview stops, two different behaviors are considered:

• If you interrupt the preview before all frames in the range have been rendered, whether to start playback of cached frames before all frames in the range have been rendered. This is only considered when the preview was started with Preview Favors set to Frame Rate.
              • Whether the CTI stays at the current time or moves to the playback time (the time at which you stopped the preview).

Most of the above actions will stop a preview immediately and not start playback of cached frames, and the CTI stays at the current time.Pressing the preview keyboard shortcuts (Spacebar, Numpad 0, or Shift + Numpad 0) results in different stop behaviors, depending on which shortcut you press:

• Spacebar: CTI moves to the playback time. If frame rendering is interrupted, playback of the cached frames begins.
              • Numpad 0: CTI stays at the current time. If frame rendering is interrupted, playback of the cached frames begins.
              • Shift + Numpad 0: CTI stays at the current time. If frame rendering is interrupted, playback of the cached frames begins.

Important: The stop behavior for the preview shortcuts is a result of the shortcut you pressed to stop the preview, not the shortcut you used to start the preview.

That first bullet point has an important note: interrupting the cache is only applicable when Preview Favors is set to Frame rate. If you change Preview Favors to Length, in the Preview panel for the shortcut you're using to start preview, this behavior doesn't apply.

• 4. Re: Stopping "Current Time Indicator" at a specific time
                ddqtc Level 1

Hi Tim, Thanks.

I take what you say to mean that I can get the spacebar = play then space bar = stop behaviour, when preview favours is set to length. (Which is what I experience) but I can't understand why. (Or am I not understanding what you meant?)

Thanks for trying to explain, I can't however understand the first paragraph. I'm trying to break it down into simple components but I feel like something is wrong with it. Let me try to break it down

When a preview stops, two different behaviors are considered:

so assuming what I quoted before is correct, when I am pressing spacebar for the first time after initiating playback, I am invoking a [Stop preview] command?

If you interrupt the preview before all frames in the range have been rendered, whether to start playback of cached frames before all frames in the range have been rendered. This is only considered when the preview was started with Preview Favors set to Frame Rate.

The part highlighted in red above starts the sentance with "whether to" as though there is going to be 2 options presented, but it only goes on to provide one, making the "whether" seem like a mistake or something? The sentence seems incomplete.

If I ignore that middle sentance and read it like this

If you interrupt the preview before all frames in the range have been rendered. This is only considered when the preview was started with Preview Favors set to Frame Rate.

Then this makes it seem like the interrupt command is only "considered" if the preview is started with Preview Favours set to Frame Rate. meaning that it SHOULD stop. Obviously this isn't what is happening, so I feel like there is a vital piece of information not being understood by me correctly in that middle sentence.

Am I making any sense?

• 5. Re: Stopping "Current Time Indicator" at a specific time
                  Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Am I making any sense?

Some, yes. Mostly I feel like I just failed a high school English test, but you have a point that my explanation used poor sentence structure.

How does this read for you? (I have updated the blog article with these changes.)

When you take an action to stop a preview, two different behaviors are considered:
                  • Whether to stop preview immediately, or to only stop caching frames and continue playing back the frames already cached. The latter is only considered if two conditions are met: if the preview was started with Preview Favors set to Frame Rate, and if your stop action interrupts the preview before all frames in the range have been cached.
                  • Whether the CTI stays at the current time or moves to the preview time (the time at which you stopped the preview).

To further explain, I will elaborate on what has changed in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) from previous versions of After Effects.

Previous versions of After Effects had two distinct preview functions with different behaviors:

• RAM Preview was started by the zero key on the number pad, cached all frames in the range before starting playback, and if you interrupted caching before it was complete, playback of the cached frames would start. The range was the work area, or between the CTI and the end of the composition if From Current Time was enabled in the Preview panel. If RAM became full before the entire range of frames was cached, caching stopped and playback began. During playback, audio played, and layer controls were not displayed. Preview frame rate was real-time, once playback of cached frames began.
                  • Standard Preview was started by the spacebar key, began playback immediately, and cached frames as it played them. The range was either the entire composition (starting from the CTI position and then looping), or only the work are if the CTI was inside the work area. If RAM became full before the entire range of frames was cached, the oldest frames would be discarded from the cache so that playback could continue to any arbitrary length. During playback, audio did not play, and layer controls were displayed. Preview frame rate may not have been real-time, unless the frames were quick to render or the entire range of frames was cached.

In After Effects CC 2015 (13.5), the preview functionality is now configurable so that any of the preview behaviors can be assigned to either the spacebar or the zero key on the number pad. (The functions of RAM Preview and Standard Preview are therefore no longer distinct in After Effects, and those terms are no longer used.)

For example, using the new controls in the Preview panel, you can assign spacebar to start a preview that caches frames like RAM Preview used to, for all frames in the composition, plays audio, and also displays layer controls.

Among the new preview controls, the Preview Favors control represents the distinction between caching behaviors:

• Frame Rate: similar to RAM Preview. Frames are rendered and cached as fast as possible until all frames in the range are cached. If all available RAM is filled, caching stops and playback of the cached frames proceeds. If you interrupt preview before caching is complete, caching stops but playback of the cached frames proceeds. Preview frame rate is real-time, though like RAM Preview the range may need to complete caching before real-time preview can begin.
                  • Length: similar to Standard Preview. Frames are rendered and cached only a few frames in advance during playback. If all available RAM is filled before the entire range of frames is cached, the oldest frames in the cache are discarded so that playback can continue to any arbitrary length. Preview frame rate may not be real-time, unless the frames are quick to render or the entire range of frames is cached.

One more important distinction with previews in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) is that regardless of which caching behavior you choose, playback always starts immediately. This affects a difference from previous versions of After Effects when Preview Favors is set to Frame Rate and you interrupt the caching phase in a composition where frames can be cached faster than the real-time playback frame rate: in this case, when you interrupt frame caching, instead of restarting playback from the first frame like RAM Preview would (technically, not restarting; RAM Preview was not actually playing back at that point), playback will continue through the available cached frames.

In After Effects CC 2015 (13.5), the spacebar key is set to use Preview Favors Frame Rate by default. We made this choice for two reasons:

1. New users to After Effects instinctually reach for the spacebar to start a preview, rather than the zero key on the number pad, because they haven't yet learned how After Effects caches frames for playback (and how this differs from non-linear editors). In previous versions of After Effects, the lack of audio and the caching behavior associated with spacebar's Standard Preview caused confusion. Assigning the Preview Favors Frame Rate caching behavior to spacebar teaches the new users by example how After Effects caches frames for real-time playback.
                  2. Many experienced After Effects users now work on laptops or with keyboards that don't have a number pad. Assigning the Preview Favors Frame Rate caching behavior to spacebar makes it easier for experienced users to get the results they want.

I hope that all makes sense. These are subtle differences between previous versions of After Effects and After Effects CC 2015 (13.5), but they have a significant impact on how you work.

Finally, these behaviors could be changed in a future version of After Effects, if users express that they would like it to change. The code that drives previews in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) was completely rewritten, including these new designs for user interaction with previews. We discussed and validated these designs with our prerelease users, but we know that other users will have different opinions. We intend to listen; your feedback will help us refine the behaviors, and we appreciate you taking the time to give it to us.