12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2015 8:59 PM by A.T. Romano

jumpy images

apear176 Level 1

I am using elements 12. The images become jumpy and impossible to adjust accurately when creating multi layers, say 4 or 5.  Is it because I am using several cuts from the same media sample? I only have 8GB of RAM but it is only working at 30%

when this happens. I have the program on a SSHD 1TB drive and a eSATA 2GB for a working environment.  Can't remember what video card but it is more than capable for these tasks.

• 1. Re: jumpy images
          A.T. Romano Level 7

apear176

What program are you using - Photoshop Elements 12 or Premiere Elements 12/12.1? What computer operating system is involved?

If Premiere Elements, we can continue here.

1. What are the properties of your source media?

2. What have you (manually) or the project (automatically) set as the project preset to match the properties of the source media?

3. Are you looking at the rendered Timeline when you doing playback in the Edit area monitor?

4. Are you getting any display card error message? Nonetheless what video card/graphics card does your computer use and is its driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? Does your computer use one than 1 video card/graphics card according to Device Manager/Display Adapters?

5. Is your program installed to Local Disk C with SSD being designated Local Disk C?

6. Are you having problems adding files to an existing Timeline and thus disturbing the existing Timeline when you do add files to the various tracks?

How many video and audio tracks are you using?

7. For troubleshooting purposes, what does an export of that rendered Timeline look like on your computer player - jumpy or not?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: jumpy images
            apear176 Level 1

Thanks for your quick response.  The answers are as below.  Cheers

• 3. Re: jumpy images
              A.T. Romano Level 7

apear176

Thanks for the reply. For some reason, there was nothing below "The answers are as below."

Looking forward to the intended sending as your schedule permits.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: jumpy images
                apear176 Level 1

They appear to be on my sent copy.  Can you look again? In amongst the

questions.  Cheers

• 5. Re: jumpy images
                  apear176 Level 1

I've attached a word doc with our conversation on it.  Cheers Tony

• 6. Re: jumpy images
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Tony

Thanks for the follow ups, but the system is not accepting a Microsoft Word Document.

This is what is showing in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum

Tony1.JPG

And the following is what is showing for your last 2 posts.

Tony2.JPG

Not sure what is happening with your posts. Did you do a copy paste or did you insert a Microsoft Word document link in the reply? Are you sending from a cell phone or entering the forum through your computer browser?

Unless a moderator sees your thread here and has suggestions for what went wrong, please ask how to send your information in the Adobe Forum Comments Forum.

Forum comments

I use screenshots for postings.

The specified item was not found.

ATR

• 7. Re: jumpy images
                      apear176 Level 1

1. I'm using Premiere Elements 12.  The source media is MP4 video.  The operating system is Windows 8.1

2. I load the media from the camera to a file on the E drive and add to the project from there using the add media tab. Perhaps I should load the media via the drop down direct from the camera.

3. I have tried rendering the video to date and it has no difference.

4.  The computer is quite new and the drivers up to date to the last month or so. The video card is a VVIDIA GeForce GT740.  It's the only one installed. Not getting any error messages.

5. The program is installed to the C drive, designated the local disc.

6. I have learned that clumsy drag and drop messes things up.  Control Z to the rescue.

These videos are supporting my own music tracks, depicting me singing them and playing various instruments. Usually about four of five layers on a single landscape backdrop.

I delete each video track's audio once the video is lip synced, so there is one audio track remaining as audio only.

Exported video is fine but it is obvious that the video tracks have not been aligned.

The background, audio and first two layers are stable, subsequent tracks/layers that are the problem.

Thanks Tony

• 8. Re: jumpy images
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Tony

Thanks for the reply.

1. Have you updated 12 to 12.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates? If not, please do that. What is the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded your video? Need to know more about the video properties and the project settings. Please let us know what the readings are for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Dimensions (even if they look grayed out) under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

2. Good that you imported the source media using Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you dragged the source files to the Timeline. Do you have the Timeline "Snap" enabled? If not, right click the Timeline, and select Snap from the menu that appears.

3. When you first import the video and drag it to the Timeline for the first time, is there no colored line over it or an orange one? If you do this and there is no colored line over the file, then right click the file, select Time Stretch, set the Time Stretch dialog's Speed % to 99, and OK out of there. Now render the Timeline content and determine if the playback is better.

4. The classical known issue with NVIDIA is specific for Premiere Elements 10 running on a computer that uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card. You should be free of the Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce issue if you are using Premiere Elements 12/12.1.

Have you gone through the process (in a new project) of adding each track content and determining which content addition triggers jumpy video. Or, is even one clip on one video track jumpy.

Have you determined if this jumpy video seen in Edit area is also present in the export file from that Timeline?

Thanks for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 9. Re: jumpy images
                          apear176 Level 1

Hi again. Went through the update process through help/active project. It says I'm updated already but still shows up in programs as version 12.0.  Is that ok?

The snap was already engaged. I think the issue concerns the coloured lines on the timeline.  The ok parts have a green line and the others have an orange line.

Curiously, one of the formally working clips has gone blank and an orange line appeared over it. Thanks for the help.

• 10. Re: jumpy images
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Tony

Thanks for the reply.

If Help/Updates says you are up to date for 12, then you should have 12.1. There are obvious and subtle perks to 12.1, but the most appreciated is the one that fixed the Text Styles issue that existed only in the Expert workspace.

If the content with no colored line or green line is playing back well, then no problem. You are likely to get jumpy play back from Timeline content that has the orange indicator line. The orange line over the content is telling you that you are not seeing the best possible preview of that content in Edit area monitor. Timeline rendering (orange to green line) should result in good playback. If you find that the playback is still jumpy after Timeline rendering, then the final judgment is made by observing the playback of the export of that Timeline content.

See if Timeline render will help the formally working clips that have gone blank and now have an orange line over them. Do these clips thumbnails in Project Assets also have a strange looking image in it. If so, determine if you have accidentally moved, deleted, or renamed those files on the computer hard drive.

Best wishes

ATR

• 11. Re: jumpy images
                              apear176 Level 1

Thanks ATR

I have remade the project using the original media.  I have learned that rendering each significant clip as I go makes a huge difference. The completed project is running well. I'm still hazy about the finer points of editing, to get pin point accuracy. I have expanded the editing window to full screen on my second monitor but I don't find the positioning markers to be as accurate as I would like.  I will live that for the time being. Thanks so much for your assistance and ideas.

• 12. Re: jumpy images
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

apear176

Wonderful news. You have gotten to a good place in your workflow with your troubleshooting. Well done.

I really enjoyed "The completed project is running well."

If and when you have additional questions about your Premiere Elements workflows, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes

ATR