5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2015 12:21 PM by Mrinmay Majhi

blue rectangle covers image when cropping

jeff@edh Level 1

When using the crop feature in LR 6, I sometimes get a blue rectangle covering the image.

Why does this happen and how do I fix it?

• 1. Re: blue rectangle covers image when cropping
          Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi Jeff,

This issue is related to the drivers of the display adaptor

You can try to disable Use Graphics Processor option in Preferences > Performance.

Then restart Lightroom and check for the issue.

Lr Display Processor preferences.PNG

~Mrinmay

• 2. Re: blue rectangle covers image when cropping
            jeff@edh Level 1

Thanks, that seems to have fixed things, but because it only happened randomly I don't know for sure.

Also, it means that I lose the performance of advantage of using the GPU - is there any news of a better fix?

Thanks again

Jeff

• 3. Re: blue rectangle covers image when cropping
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Also, it means that I lose the performance of advantage of using the GPU - is there any news of a better fix?

Don't worry about it. The GPU support that was added only speeds up a very limited number of things. Unfortunately it is also known to slow down quite a few other things. Most notably if you use any local adjustment with brushes which for large files can become almost glacial. For many people it is a better option to simply turn it off. It is not quite here yet except if you have a really fast graphics processor and a really slow CPU. I have a recent retina mac book pro and LR 6/CC is very frustrating to use with the GPU acceleration enabled for things like brushes and when stepping through images. Loading images is very slow with GPU acceleration enabled. When I turn it off is is as usable as LR 5 was. Adobe has been quite clear about it being a limited benefit for now and for most people I'd recommend turning it off. Just experiment with it and you'll see what effect it has and you'll be able to make a decision pretty quickly.

• 4. Re: blue rectangle covers image when cropping
                jeff@edh Level 1

Thanks, I appreciate the information and will stop worrying about the GPU acceleration.

Jeff

• 5. Re: blue rectangle covers image when cropping
                  Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi Jeff,

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved. Let us know if you face any other issues.

~Mrinmay