11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2007 5:39 AM by James Newton, ACP

Whiteboard

Flakx Level 1
      Right im starting to become quite a regular poster in here with my director problems......

my problem is now trying to make the interactive white board function so that it works with multiple people contributing to it. I've set up the white board so it functions properly except for the part where it connects to the same server as everyone elses.

any help greatly recieved

thanks

Andy.
        • 1. Re: Whiteboard
          James Newton, ACP Level 3
          Here's the demo whiteboard movie that was included on the Director 8.0 CD-ROM: http://nonlinear.openspark.com/tips/xtras/multiuser/whiteboard/. The OpenSpark multiuser server is not currently running, so to test, you will have to point the movie at your own multiuser server...
          • 2. Re: Whiteboard
            Flakx Level 1
            Right, well i've looked through that and looked through mine and i can't see any problems, no errors pop up but because im using 2004 i understand theres going to be problems, but from my multiple look throughs i can't see anything wrong. Is there any known problems you could suggest that i need to check?

• 3. Re: Whiteboard
              It is not clear from what you say whether you are getting my version to work without errors. Why do you assume that there are going to be problems with Director MX 2004? What happens in your version when "it connects to the same server as everyone elses"?
              • 4. Re: Whiteboard
                Flakx Level 1
                well, the example i can get to work.

the reason why i think 2004 would have issues is because of the syntax changes etc.

when i go to create my own it connects to the same server fine, but the whiteboard itself even when the shared whiteboard behaviour is added to the canvas it fails to connect this whiteboard to the server, the changes and additions dont show up on other screens.
                • 5. Re: Whiteboard
                  If I understand correctly, you can draw locally on your own whiteboard.

There are many reasons why your local changes do not get displayed on remote machines:
                  1) Your local client is not connecting to the server
                  2) The remote clients are not connecting to the server
                  3) Your local client is not sending messages describing changes to the whiteboard
                  to remote clients
                  4) The remote clients are not receiving sent messages
                  5) The remote client is not handling the incoming message
                  6) The remote client is handling the incoming message but not acting on its contents
                  7) The drawing routine is failing on the remote client
                  8) ...

You will have to work through these possibilities in a logical order, eliminating each possible source of error before relying on that feature in subsequent steps.
                  • 6. Re: Whiteboard
                    Flakx Level 1
                    Right, well i've got it so that i can draw and have it updated, it was in fact somthing within the default canvas behaviour not the interactive whiteboard behaviour.

However now i have a problem with the drawing function. It seems whenever i start to draw a line it will in fact draw the line about 5mm away from the actual mouse pointer.

I've looked through the script but there doesnt seem to be anything obvious that is going wrong.

• 7. Re: Whiteboard
                      Is this in a projector, in Shockwave, or while in Director?
                      • 8. Re: Whiteboard
                        Flakx Level 1
                        its in a shockwave file.
                        • 9. Re: Whiteboard
                          Does this occur in all browsers, or just in one? Does it occur on both platforms?
                          • 10. Re: Whiteboard
                            Flakx Level 1
                            well, it seems to work as an shockwave file but when i use it as a .exe it says there is a script error.
                            • 11. Re: Whiteboard
                              The most common reason for a script error in a projector is failing to include all the required script xtras.