4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2015 2:29 PM by rob day

Modifying Book Layout without changing text

ericw74331373

Ok, so I am trying to basically create a book so that if I modify the design of a page the rest of the pages are updated to the new design/layout. The best way I have figured this out is by creating pages based on master pages and having them synchronized to the other book document pages. This allows me to modify position of text boxes, image locations, paragraph styles etc. but changes the text within each of those text boxes. I need a way of being able to change things on the fly while preserving the text, not the style of the text but just the text information itself. Is there a step I am missing or what options do I have?

• 1. Re: Modifying Book Layout without changing text
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you include items on your master pages that will be overridden on the pages to take content, the overridden page items will only respond to position changes from the masters if you don't make any position adjustment (width, height, x, y) to the page item after the override. That also means you can't shuffle pages left and right without losing the connection. For this reason many experienced users will recommend never including items on masters that need to be overridden in order to take content. You can do it, but you have to be aware of what might happen to the page/master page connection when you release a MP item and move it.

• 2. Re: Modifying Book Layout without changing text
            ericw74331373 Level 1

I don't think you are understanding what I am after. I want to create a master template. Based on that template I want to create 1 page documents. I want each of these 1 page documents to be their own file. Then I want to be able to take each of these documents and have them linked to a main file which will serve as a template. Meaning if I want to move position on a text box, image, or change font on the main template file every other document linked to that template will be automatically updated so individual file work would not need to be done.

I hope that is a better explanation.

Also as an update I have got to a point where I am able to do what I am describing within one indesign file. However I have not been able to do what I have described where I have all of the files linked in a book document yet. That is what I am currently attempting to figure out. When every I try and synchronize them using the book feature non of the positional changes happen only the text style modification.

• 3. Re: Modifying Book Layout without changing text

Meaning if I want to move position on a text box, image, or change font on the main template file every other document linked to that template will be automatically updated so individual file work would not need to be done.

When you combine files into a book you sync from the document in the book set as the source. If you want to include master pages you have to check them in the Sync Options. To sync the masters, you have to edit the source master page—edits to page items would not get sync'd. So here's a book with 3 documents that all have an A-Master. You can see Chap 1 is the source by the icon to its left:

Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 3.48.03 PM.png

If I edit the A-Master—here I'm editing the master and not the page—and check Master Pages in Sync Options.

Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 3.49.24 PM.png

I can then select all 3 documents in the Book panel, and choose Synchronize Book

sync.png

That updates the 3 docs to match the source's A-Master:

Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 3.52.22 PM.png

• 4. Re: Modifying Book Layout without changing text

I don't think you are understanding what I am after.

Also, the master page rules that I described in my first post apply to book sync'ing. You have to make position changes from the master and not a page.

Here I've overridden the master page item on page 1 of the Chap 3 doc and changed its text content but not its position:

Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 4.04.23 PM.png

If I make a change to the Chap 1 source doc's Master page:

Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 4.05.07 PM.png

Then Sync, the edited page item in Chap 3 moves because I only changed its text content and not its position:

Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 4.05.42 PM.png

But if I change the position of the page item on page 1 of Chap 3, it will no longer respond to an adjustment to the source master page

Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 4.06.16 PM.png

Here I edit the source master page and sync’d, but chapter 3 doesn't respond because I moved its page 1 page item:

Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 4.06.49 PM.png