5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2015 7:44 AM by A.T. Romano

Cannot import .avi file in Premiere Elements 11

2wheelterror Level 1

Help! I'm shooting a video with a different camera and cannot import it's .AVI file into Premiere Elements. I'm getting a message saying that the file is not supported or the required codec is not installed.

I've already read a bunch of sites and am now very confused. I have a PC.

Please and thank you for your advice!!

Cecile

• 1. Re: Cannot import .avi file in Premiere Elements 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Cecile

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running?

What are the properties of this .avi file that will not important into Premiere Elements 11? Telling us the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video will avoid having to download and install video audio properties read out program to get the information.

Avi is just the file extension (wrapper/container format) that wraps the video and audio compression parts of the file. There are some combinations of video compression and wrapper formats that are incompatible.

The answers are in the details, so if you supply the details we should able to determine the cause of the problem.

We will be looking forward to your reply with details.

Any questions or need clarification, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Cannot import .avi file in Premiere Elements 11
            2wheelterror Level 1

Hi ATR,

I'm using a Nikon D3S for video and my PC's OS is Windows 7.

I've got my settings set on HD 1270x720.

I'm beginning to understand the wrapper/container format that was described in a few forums/articles I've read on-line i.e. understood the Juicy Fruit vs Spearmint analogy.

Not sure what other info you need. Thanks so much for your help. I'm shooting a video this Wednesday and really need this working!

Cecile

• 3. Re: Cannot import .avi file in Premiere Elements 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Cecile

Thanks for the great information. The situation is not as bad as it could have been. I thought that you might have AVCHD.avi which is not compatible with Premiere Elements. Instead your camera is recording 1280 x 720 @ 24 progressive frames per second. But the important part of the video specifications is that it is giving you that file as MotionJPEG.avi. That MotionJPEG video compression is often a problem for Premiere Elements. It is a toss up whether the codec is not installed or whether Premiere Elements is not recognizing that video compression.

Here are the typical solutions...

1. Determine if there is a utility that came with your camera. If so, install it and determine if it supplies the video codec needed.

or

2. Purchase a download of a Morgan MotionJPEG video codec and install that on your computer. This codec requires a purchase, but there is a trial version offered before purchase. So, you will have time to decide if it is worth the investment, especially if you are going to continue using Nikon. I offer that for informational and non promotional reasons.

or

3. Take your video into a free software such as HandBrake and convert it to H.264.mp4 at a constant frame rate. Then import that H.264.mp4 into your Premiere Elements project.

Please review and consider, and let me know which of the 3 possible fixes works for you. I can post fuller how to details if necessary.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Cannot import .avi file in Premiere Elements 11
                2wheelterror Level 1

Thanks so much ATR!! You saved the day.

My husband, David, ended up installing Morgans after exhausting the other options. So far it works beautifully. Sound and all bits seem to have been imported.

I really appreciate you taking the time to not only help out but to properly explain things

Thanks again!!

Cecile

• 5. Re: Cannot import .avi file in Premiere Elements 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Cecile

Thanks for the wonderful news that your Premiere Elements projects are moving forward successfully. Great job.

Best wishes to you and David

ATR