8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2015 10:59 AM by 2009louise

Confused as to whether video card gpu is being used or not.

2009louise Level 1

I updated to LR 6.1 and my video card was on the "not acceptable" list.  LR itself said it turned it off.  I called EVGA and spoke to tech support asking their advice as to the best video card match for my system.  I was told to go for a lower end card because my processor is not that fast and if I used a really fast card I would end up creating bottlenecks.  I purchased the EVGA GTX 750 ACX and successfully installed it tonight.  The specs of my system are:

Asus motherboard P6X58D Premium

i7 930

24 MB memory

Creative Soundblaster Card with powered Bose speakers

1000 watt Coolermaster power supply

2 (SATA 3)  SSDs - Lightroom and Photoshop are installed on one and Windows 7, 64 bit,   is intalled on the other

3 Western Digital hard drives (SATA 2) and one DVD.

NEC Multisync P241 monitor - 24", wide band, attached via DVI

After installing the new video card, I got the following reading from LR 6.1.  When you look in preferences, use the video card is checked and no longer gives the message that the video card use has been turned off.  However, at the very bottom of the read-out from LR, it says "GPU device not available".  As I read it, it looked like it was talking about Audio, not the video card, but I'm confused and not sure.  I would return this card and step up a few models if it really isn't being used.  Would greatly appreciate a "translation"

Thanks a lot for any clarification you can offer. 
      Madeline

Lightroom version: 6.1 [ 1025654 ]

License: Perpetual

Operating system: Windows 7 Business Edition

Version: 6.1 [7601]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 2.8 GHz

Built-in memory: 24567.1 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 24567.1 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 638.2 MB (2.5%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 621.8 MB

Memory cache size: 211.5 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2

System DPI setting: 168 DPI (high DPI mode)

Desktop composition enabled: No

Displays: 1) 1920x1200

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

GeForce GTX 750/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 353.30

Renderer: GeForce GTX 750/PCIe/SSE2

LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Application folder: G:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom

Library Path: G:\Lightroom Backups\June2015\June2015.lrcat

Settings Folder: C:\Users\mg\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) Behance

2) Canon Tether Plugin

3) Facebook

4) Flickr

5) HDR Efex Pro 2

6) Leica Tether Plugin

7) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 10de

Device : 1381

Subsystem : 27583842

Revision : a2

Video Memory : 1994

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024

AudioDeviceName: Speakers (Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio)

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100

Build: Uninitialized

Direct2DEnabled: false

GPUDevice: not available

OGLEnabled: true

• 2. Re: Confused as to whether video card gpu is being used or not.
          dj_paige Level 9

While you may eventually get to the point where the GPU is being used (or you have already reached that point), if you have a monitor that is 1920x1200, the odds are that you won't get much of a benefit from using the GPU (larger monitors will see more benefit), and in fact, it still may be a good idea to deliberately turn off Lightroom's use of the GPU. See Eric Chan's discussion of this issue here: GPU notes for Lightroom CC (2015)

• 3. Re: Confused as to whether video card gpu is being used or not.
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

2009louise wrote:

I called EVGA and spoke to tech support asking their advice as to the best video card match for my system.  I was told to go for a lower end card because my processor is not that fast and if I used a really fast card I would end up creating bottlenecks.

This is unquestionably some bad advice! The graphics adapter (GPU) runs independent of the system processor (CPU). The only concern other than the cost is sufficient power supply capacity, which in your case is 1000 watts and more than adequate.

2009louise wrote:

I purchased the EVGA GTX 750 ACX and successfully installed it tonight.  The specs of my system are:

Adobe's recommendation is as follows:

Suggested graphics cards:

Graphics cards produced in the last 2 years that meet the minimum system requirements above should work fine.

• For AMD cards, consider the Radeon R9 series of cards, such as the R9 270 thru 290.
            • For NVIDIA cards, consider a card from the GeForce GTX 760+ line (760, 770, 780, ...) or from the GeForce GTX 900 series.
            • For Intel cards, 4400 or later are required.

The card you purchased is a GTX 750, which is not on the "suggested" list above. It may work fine, but Adobe isn't "recommending" it. The GTX 760 and 960 appear to be better choices. Keep in mind that GPU support in LR 6/CC is a "work in progress." Currently many people are seeing better performance with the GPU disabled, my self included. If it were me I'd wait a while and see what the next LR update (or two) brings concerning better GPU support implementation. How does LR perform with GPU disabled in LR Prefernces? If OK I'd return the card and continue using your previous adapter until Adobe gets GPU support implemented a little better. The "recommended" GPUs may change.

PassMark Score

GeForce GTX 960

$199.99
            GeForce GTX 7604.965$159.99
            GeForce GTX 7503,251$94.99

2009louise wrote:

After installing the new video card, I got the following reading from LR 6.1.  When you look in preferences, use the video card is checked and no longer gives the message that the video card use has been turned off.  However, at the very bottom of the read-out from LR, it says "GPU device not available".

My Nvidia Quadro 600 says the same thing and is working. I think it's unrelated to the actual GPU support required by LR. Is this normal? Lightroom CC Direct2DEnabled: false GPUDevice: not available

• 4. Re: Confused as to whether video card gpu is being used or not.
              F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LR is not using Direct2D, it is using OpenGL for the acceleration.

However, I don't know why the Direct2D is listed, it is misleading.

• 5. Re: Confused as to whether video card gpu is being used or not.
                dj_paige Level 9

So, @trshaner, with a 1920x1200 screen, is GPU acceleration really worth the effort?

Or is it the kind of thing where you have to try it with your graphics card to see if it makes a noticeable difference?

• 6. Re: Confused as to whether video card gpu is being used or not.
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If LR5 was performing fairly well with no noticeable lags in the Develop module then GPU acceleration in LR 6/CC is unlikely to make a significant improvement. In fact many people are seeing a drop in performance with GPU enabled. It's certainly worth trying. In my case the Tone sliders (Exposure, etc.) seem smoother, but they aren't really laggy with GPU disabled. When "browsing" images in the Develop module it takes 2-3 sec. for the image to reach full sharpness. With GPU disabled the images reach full sharpness almost instantaneously. So it's a trade-off. If any of the controls are noticeably laggy in the Develop module enabling the GPU may help.

• 7. Re: Confused as to whether video card gpu is being used or not.
                    dj_paige Level 9

I'm glad you said that, the idea of going out and getting a better video card for a 1920x1200 screen seems like a possible waste of money ... depending on the exact situation.

As you say, if things are performing well, then there's probably no need for a new graphics card. If things are not performing well, and these things that are not performing well are the EXACT things that Eric Chan says will be improved by a video card, then it might be worth it. And if there are other lags in Lightroom, that are not those things that Eric Chan will be helped by a video card, then don't bother with the video card.

The original poster really hasn't mentioned any of this.

• 8. Re: Confused as to whether video card gpu is being used or not.
                      2009louise Level 1

The checkmark remained, as noted by some others, I saw little difference except maybe some jerkiness, harder to make a smooth motion.  I turned off the checkmark but still had trouble with the EVGA 750 card.

The problem really arrived when shutting down.  Only part of the LR screen shut down.  It always leaves behind a rectangle or two of the LR image, now imposed upon my desktop.  Scrolling over the image sometimes closed it.  Other times had to open LR and close it again.  It caused a few messes when trying to go from editing in LR to editing in PS.

EVGA  tech support suggested I uninstall the driver software and do a clean reinstall.  I did - made no difference.  My Asus board does not seem to like this video card.  I removed it, put my old card, drivers etc. back and I'm back where I started from except I'm out $140