3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2015 10:28 AM by Dov Isaacs

Problem exporting PDF/X format from inDesing

Logout

Hi to everybody,
      I have a big problem try to exporting my press work in pdf/x format.

Every time I try to export a pdf/x where is created by an illustrator file imported on a image background (not a flat color) in InDesing, this element has all his bounding box visible with little white stroke.

My setting are:

Standard: PDF/X-1a:2001     or    PDF/X-1a:2003

Compatibility: Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3)

Can you help me? I don't want to make this work in Photoshop, importing the illustrator element with the final inDesing background. It's really a waste of time and productivity.

Thanks in advance
      Cory

• 1. Re: Problem exporting PDF/X format from inDesing
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What you are seeing is called "stitching." its an artifact of the transparency flattening happening during the export (PDF/X-1a flattens transparency). It generally doesn't show on press output.

• 2. Re: Problem exporting PDF/X format from inDesing
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Stitching can be avoided if you export PDF/X-4 and no EPS are used.

• 3. Re: Problem exporting PDF/X format from inDesing
              Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

The very nature of PDF/X-1a or even PDF/X-3 requires that any transparency, including transparency effects such as drop shadows, clipped images, feathering, glows, embossing, etc., be flattened into opaque objects at the target device's resolution and in the target device's process CMYK color space. Such flattening introduces boundaries between the resultant opaque objects. Those boundaries often show up on screen and sometimes show up in print as very thin white lines.

The industry has advanced dramatically since PDF/X-1a and PDF/X-3. All modern-day RIPs can indeed support PDF/X-4 with live transparency and color management using native PDF rendering (no stink'in PostScript intermediaries). Print service providers who refuse PDF/X-4 either (1) have ancient RIPs and workflow practices, (2) are ignorant of the capabilities of their systems, (3) are arrogant (“my way or the highway”) Luddites, or (4) some combination of (1), (2), and (3).

Adobe most strongly recommends use of PDF/X-4 for reliable PDF publishing workflows.

- Dov

PS:  EPS is only a significant issue if the EPS contains flattened transparency!