9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2015 10:58 AM by A.T. Romano

Elements 10

Walker88

I use Elements 10 and have made several video's, all fine. I needed a new hard drive, so saved my work. I reinstalled Elements 10 and my work on the new hard drive but it says it is not compatable. The titles have appeared but not the content. The video is there as I can view it on another video player.Can anyone help.

• 1. Re: Elements 10
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Walker88

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10 running?

Please give the exact wording of the not compatible message. What is not compatible?

Is the problem before or after you open a new project or a previously saved closed project?

What is the video card/graphics card that your computer uses?

Let us start here and then decide what next. Any questions or need clarification, please ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Elements 10
            Walker88 Level 1

Hi

The operating system is Windows 7

When you go into Elements and select the project, the project loads then

you get a box that says where is the video file - 00.mts

Then it gives you a choice in a file called Elements Auto save, you select

the project and you get a grey box that says File import failure and the

message This type of file is not supported or the required code is not

installed.

If you skip this then the project boxes are red and say Media Offline

The projects are previously saved ones from my old hard drive, so it is

when I try to open an old project

Sorry I don't know about the video card, it is the original one and my PC

is a HP 520

Thanks

Sue Gilmore

• 3. Re: Elements 10
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Sue Gilmore

Thanks for the details of your issue.

My first impression is that you probably salvaged old project files (.prel) that you created before the hard drive change, but not the source media originals for the files that went into the project. Did you project archive any of the old projects before the hard drive change?

1. Do you know where the project's original source files are on the computer with the new hard drive?

2. If you do, you are probably getting "Where is the file _____?" messages when you try to open the project. Each message asks for a specific file, and you have to direct the project to the place where you know the specifically named file is in order to make the project file reconnect. When you import source media into a project, all you get are copies of the originals that remain at the hard drive save location. But the copies in the project need to trace back to the originals at the place where they were when they were imported into the project. If you move, delete, or rename files/folders that went into the project after the project is saved closed, then you run into troublesome media project reconnect matters.

Right now I am going on you having a media project connection issue. But, moving forward we should look at the video card/graphics card in view of the specific known Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce issue. See Device Manager/Display Adapters/ and the card(s) listed there.

Let us work through the media project connection matter, and then we can decide what next if necessary.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Information on how to use the "Where is the file _____?" message will be posted if applicable and necessary.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Elements 10
                Walker88 Level 1

Hi

The only files I found where in Documents and there are at least two files

for each project a VCL media file and a text document.

I looked for the video card and I found AMD Radgeon HD 6450A is that it.

Thanks

Sue

• 5. Re: Elements 10
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Sue

Thanks for the reply. From all the details, my impression is that you have lost the connection between the project file and the originals whose copies went into the project. Even if you have AutoSaves, those AutoSaves will not help you in this situation since they also have lost that same project media connection.

The only way out of this situation would seem to be this...

1. On the present hard drive, can you find and actually see the originals that went into the project before the hard drive change?

If the answer is no, then the project, as is, is lost. You could skip to the project workspace and try to drag new media into the project. But, you might as well just start a new project.

If the answer is yes, then you go through each of those "Where is the file _____?" messages, find and select the specific file the message is asking for. Hit Select. If you get lucky, sometimes finding and selecting one, triggers an automatic find and reconnection for the rest.

Important. We need to rule in or out conclusively whether the source media for the project still exist.

We will be watching for your progress as your time permits. Please let us know if you need clarification on the above.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 6. Re: Elements 10
                    Walker88 Level 1

Hi

I can see the content on another video viewer, so it must be there. I have

tried several ways to download within  Elements including get media from

files and folders but no luck. The files I can see are a VLCMedia(F4v) file

and a .Prel file but they won't load in Elements.

Thanks

Sue

• 7. Re: Elements 10
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Sue

Thanks for the reply.

I have been hoping  that you would find the files that imported into the project and that are now opening with those "Where are the files _____?" messages.

It did not sound promising when you wrote that the only files that you see on your computer hard drive are a F4V file and the prel file that will not open.

However, what might be promising is when you wrote "I can see the content on another video viewer...." So, the important questions become

a. What is that another video viewer

and

b. Where is the location of the content that the video viewer is using to access the content for viewing?

Hope this leads us to the content for you to resolve the project file with its missing media message situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Elements 10
                        Walker88 Level 1

Hi

The other video viewer is VLC that PC World put on. It picks up the video

from the Documents folder, the same ones that Elements won't open.

Thanks

Sue

• 9. Re: Elements 10
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Sue

Thanks for the reply.

When the VLC player opens to play this video, what is the name of the file that is opens...file name and file extension?

ATR