1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 26, 2007 1:55 AM by AlinaX

2d OR 3d;

Chris-K Level 1
      I have a project of a spaceship flying around the earth. I want the earth to be shown in great detail. The ship must be able to yaw (the earth turns clockwise or counter clockwise below it), pitch (the earth moves up or down on the screen) and roll (the earth moves left or right on the screen) The earth slowly rotates beneath the ship reguardless of yaw, pitch or roll movements.

I made a AVI of the earth's rotation and imported it. I could make the movie move up & down (pitch), left and right (roll) which is just perfect; but I can't apply rotation to the sprite. I seem to have two options:

2D- use a long, flat picture of the earth with a circle mask. Slowly advance the picture in the circular mask to simulate a rotating earth and then apply the roll, pitch and yaw movements to the mask and the earth picture.

3D- try to make an earth with all the detail I need (I can do this in Newtek's Lightwave). and import it into director. Sinc e I haven't used 3D objects in director yet, it will be a learning curve. But how much detail can I get on a 3D object in director (& how do I surface the model? Will the surfacing I did in Lightwave also be imported?

Need advice: what would you guys do??????????????????????????

• 1. Re: 2d OR 3d;
          AlinaX
          quote:

Originally posted by: Chris-K
          3D- try to make an earth with all the detail I need (I can do this in Newtek's Lightwave). and import it into director. Sinc e I haven't used 3D objects in director yet, it will be a learning curve. But how much detail can I get on a 3D object in director (& how do I surface the model? Will the surfacing I did in Lightwave also be imported?

http://necromanthus.com/Games/ShockWave/terra.html

I don't know if the source is available.