6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2015 6:50 PM by A.T. Romano

Video lags audio after editing clip in Premiere Elements 13…

INTER MUNDOS

System:

Win 7 Pro 64 bit w/SP1

ICore 7

8G ram

1G video ram  Nvidia Quadro FX 2800M  1920 x 1200dpi screen resolution

DirectX Runtime  11.0

C: 500GB SSD

E: 1TB SSD

Premiere Elements 13 in Expert mode

All imported clips are .mp4, constant 29.97fps, H.264, 48kHz 16bit stereo .mp3

I added four clips to a new project & chopped off the front few seconds of the last clip. After that, the video lags the audio about a second in the playback window when I slide the current time indicator from the start to around the midpoint of the clip. After rendering, it starts off fine but starts to lag after a few seconds. The first three clips have not been edited & they track as they should. Could this be some type of set up/option problem?

Thanks for any comments,

Inter Mundos

• 1. Re: Video lags audio after editing clip in Premiere Elements 13…
          A.T. Romano Level 7

INTER MUNDOS

Thanks for the great post with details.

Consider...

1. What happens if you start a new project with the 4 clips side by side on the Timeline...

a. move the clip 4 to the right away from the first 3.......and play back all 4 clips including the gap created

or

b. move the clip 4 to the right away from the first 3 clips, chop off the beginning of the clip 4 as before...play back the clip 4? And then,

move that clip 4 to the left to have it side by side with the end of clip 3?

Please, as before, include Timeline rendering before making conclusions. If I have misinterpreted any part of your report, please let me know.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Video lags audio after editing clip in Premiere Elements 13…
            INTER MUNDOS Level 1

ATR,

All four clips were originally separated by 30 seconds, I should have mentioned that. I deleted the 4th clip from the timeline & reinserted it from the project assets. Without any editing (unable to render the clip because there is not a red line above it) it will play fine until I pause it & slide the CTI to the center of the clip & when I resume play, the lag shows up immediately.

As you suggested, I moved it to the end of the 3rd clip & butted the clips together without any difference. Shouldn’t both a&v be synced no matter where the CTI is once you start playing a clip that is a constant 29.97fps. I looked at the “Preroll & Postroll” settings in Preferences/General & they are both set at “0”. I’m not sure what that is for. Is that a problem?

Inter Mundos

• 3. Re: Video lags audio after editing clip in Premiere Elements 13…
              A.T. Romano Level 7

INTER MUNDOS

I do not think the pre- and post- roll factor into this. But, for more information on pre- and post-roll, please see

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Preroll and Postroll Options Interpreted

Just to make sure I am together with you on the details....

Question

Ifs

(a) if you have the 4 clips side by side on the Timeline, and each clip has video and audio components that are linked.

(b) the clip4, is on that Timeline with the first few seconds of video+linked audio chopped off. The whole Timeline is rendered.

There is no orange line over any of the content. There is no colored line or a green line over all the clips involved.

what happens when

when you take the Timeline Indicator to the start of the Timeline and play back the TImeline content by pressing the spacebar or the play button in the Edit area monitor?

Have you mentioned...if you edit clip 1, 2, or 3, do you then have problems with video audio sync for the one that you edited?

Also, please do a mini test run where you export the Timeline to a file and then determine if you have video audio out of sync in the export playback.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Video lags audio after editing clip in Premiere Elements 13…
                INTER MUNDOS Level 1

Ifs

(a)   if you have the 4 clips side by side on the Timeline, and each clip has video and audio components that are linked.

Correct

(b) the clip4, is on that Timeline with the first few seconds of video+linked audio chopped off. The whole Timeline is rendered.

Actually only the first 3 clips will render with a green line above them. The 4th clip does not show any color above it.

There is no orange line over any of the content.

Correct… no orange line anywhere…

There is no colored line or a green line over all the clips involved.

Green line over first 3 clips & no color over the 4th clip.

what happens when you take the Timeline Indicator to the start of the Timeline and play back the TImeline content by pressing the spacebar or the play button in the Edit area monitor?

The first 3 clips play correctly. The 4th clip starts out fine but as it plays to the midpoint, the audio creeps about a second in front of the video.

Have you mentioned...if you edit clip 1, 2, or 3, do you then have problems with video audio sync for the one that you edited?

No problems with the first 3 clips...

(With all 4 clips butted together) When I only fade in & out a&v for the first 3 clips, they play correctly. When I chop off the first part of the first 3, they play correctly then also.

Also, please do a mini test run where you export the Timeline to a file and then determine if you have video audio out of sync in the export playback.

I published as an mpeg & the first 3 clips played fine on my system but the 4th had the same sync problems as in the timeline.

I/M

• 5. Re: Video lags audio after editing clip in Premiere Elements 13…
                  INTER MUNDOS Level 1

ATR,

I added 20 other clips. Looks like I can't render the files I import until I edit them in some way. They show no color bars on top. All those 23 clips play beautifully. When I edit in any way the top bar turns red. I render then & everything is normal. I guess I picked the one clip I had that looks like a Japanese Clutch Cargo movie to complain about. Sorry to put you through the frustration!

I sure appreciate all your help.

I/M

• 6. Re: Video lags audio after editing clip in Premiere Elements 13…
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

INTER MUNDOS

Great news. Sounds like you have sorted through your issues successfully. Great job.

Just in case mention. Timeline rendering does not fix anything. It is strictly a preview feature that uses a color indicator line to let you know if you are looking at the best possible preview...no colored line or green means no Timeline rendering needed or available....orange line means needs Timeline rendering to get the best possible preview in the Edit area monitor playback. If you get no colored line when you drag your media to the Timeline for the first time, that means that your source properties and project settings match...and you are looking at the best possible preview. From then on, every time you edit the video, you get the orange indicator line with all the implications that come with it. Moving on...edit, orange; Timeline rendering, green and so on.

I am not sure if there is any promise for the clip that started the matter. You could consider taking it into the free HandBrake program and determining if exporting the file from there as H.264.mp4 gets rid of its problems in Premiere Elements.  https://handbrake.fr/

Best wishes

ATR