6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2015 3:33 AM by Geoff the kiwi

Lightroom CC is corrupting CR2 files during Import with Copy.

Charles Vorndran

Originally the problem was Lightroom CC not importing CR2 files but I realized that there is a problem with LR CC writing the copied CR2 files to the destination directory.  In another article someone suggested changing the permissions on the target directory to write.  For my directory, it is already set to read and write as shown in the following screen shot:

Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 8.44.15 PM.png

The screen shot also shows the target directory and a preview of one of the files shown as an aperture because it is corrupted.  The size of 29.5 MB is the same for both the source, shown below, and the target.  Also, the source directory is actually on the same hard drive as the destination directory and the catalog directory.  This setup is the same for LR 5 and LR CC.

Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 8.54.55 PM.png

I delete these CR2 files and delete the LR CC catalog (I actually created the catalog from LR 5 so I'm not losing anything),  and close LR CC.  I then open LR 5 and import the very same photos by Copy from the same source directory into the same destination directory.  All the files import with no problem.  So why does LR 5 copy these CR2 files successfully and LR CC does not?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC is corrupting CR2 files during Import with Copy.
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Are you using a card reader or directly connecting the camera to the computer?

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC is corrupting CR2 files during Import with Copy.
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LR CC could be running in a different user security context than your logged in user.   Do things work any better if you change the permissions to read/write for Everyone or Public or whatever the wide user context is named on a Mac?

So the first folder screenshot is the destination after the import, perhaps after LR shows an error, and the second screenshot folder is the source?

Does the Mac have a binary file compare utility or at least some way to compute a checksum, and if so, are the files identical or how much different?

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC is corrupting CR2 files during Import with Copy.
              Charles Vorndran Level 1

OK, so here is some more information:

1. Both the source and the destination directories are on the same external hard drive which is NTFS.  That could be signficant but I am using "NTFS for Mac OS X "which has seemed to work well for me for the past 3 years.

2. Being an external drive, there is no way to change the permissions on the drive or any of it directories.  As you may be able to see in the Get Info dialog in my  previous post, the permissions are set to "You can read and write" and there is no lock icon to allow me to change that.

3. I tried manually copying and pasting the 108 CR2 files from the source location to the destination location where I want Lightroom to catalog them.  But it turns out that this action only results in seemingly corrupt CR2 files just as letting Lightroom CC copy them did.  So Lightroom CC may be partially off the hook.  Partially because

4. Lightroom 5 copies the files into the destination directory flawlessly.   So, there's a capability that LR 5 has and was lost with LR CC.  I'm sure some talented Adobe engineer will figure out why.

I'll continue to poke at this but in the meantime, I will be using LR 5 until LR CC comes up to speed on this or at least until I can figure out how to compensate reliably for the shortcoming.

UPDATE on item 3:

I was actually able to copy files into the destination directory uncorrupted using the cp command in the terminal window.  But, even then, if I try copying more than 5 or 6 files at a time, the entire set of new files will be unreadable.  Again LR 5 tackles the entire 108 files in one fell swoop just fine.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC is corrupting CR2 files during Import with Copy.
                andrewfreeman Level 3

A few other people have reported issues with card readers causing problems. If you are using a card reader, and it you haven't already try connecting your camera to your PC instead and reading from there.

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC is corrupting CR2 files during Import with Copy.
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Try using an external that is formatted in the Mac OS X format and see what happens.

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC is corrupting CR2 files during Import with Copy.
                    Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Andrew Freeman wrote:

A few other people have reported issues with card readers causing problems. If you are using a card reader, and it you haven't already try connecting your camera to your PC instead and reading from there.

Please take time to read the post and thread... the OP clearly states that he is attempting to copy files already on his disk to another location on the same disk.

OP, personally I would recommend using Mac formatted disks....

Lightroom simply calls the OS for OS level tasks. If Terminal is having issues there is something at OS level astray.

Why Lr5 would work?? I have no idea.

Additionally Lightroom engineers rarely pass by here and for the next week are on holiday anyway. To r\have a better chance of some diagnosis by engineers post on Photoshop.com