5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2015 7:04 PM by A.T. Romano

shake stabilizer takes 6 hours on 90 sec video?

richalt2

Is this normal, in Premiere Elements 13?   I have 16G system with 4 cores (8 hyperthreads), running 99% busy for 6 hours. Fairly modern I7-2600, 3.4GHz.   Disk is largely idle.  Video is 1920x1080 mpeg4, 436Mbyte file.

The initial purple bar with Stabilizing label took 20 min, at default settings.  Then I selected VideoFrame: Stabilize, Synthesize Edges, and Crop vs Smooth down to 10%.

Clicked Stabilize.

The duration estimator told me 6 hours, and indeed it took 6 hours to generate the 380Mbyte output.  Windows task manager also showed about 9G of memory used with 5G available.

This doesn't seem like a usable feature, to take so long.  Is there something wrong here?  Is this a terrible bug in PE13?

• 1. Re: shake stabilizer takes 6 hours on 90 sec video?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

richalt2

The Shake Stabilizer is acknowledged by Adobe to be resource demanding. Please refer to the following Adobe document on the Shake Stabilizer - recommendations for use.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/shake-stabilizer.html

What is the extent of the camera shake in this 90 minutes? Have you gotten similar results with other video sources in the same or lesser state of camera shake? A 6 hour video stabilization time at first appearance appears to be "excessive". Have you explored the stabilizer settings to find settings which would drastically reduce the stabilization time and yet give you acceptable results?

Please review and consider and then we can think about this some more.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: shake stabilizer takes 6 hours on 90 sec video?
            richalt2 Level 1

With apologies I made an error above.  The actual Deshake operation finished in the 20 min.  It is the following Publish+Share, Computer-AVCHD, MP4-H264, 1920x1080, 30fps, which takes the 6 hours to export the 90 sec video.

Sorry about that.

In the end the exported video is excellent quality with shaking removed.   After 6 hours of 8 cores at 99%.

Second test, I click on the eye on the Shake Stabilizer panel to remove the effect, then Publish+share, takes 3 min, very good!

So it appears the deshake option on during export is the costly item.

The extent of shaking is about 20% of the frame slowly moves, and 5% is a 1hz jitter, handheld video with a long lens.

This is my first usage of deshake.

Here is my result by the way:   Templo Expiatorio, Expiatory Temple 12 apostles musical carillon in Guadalajara - YouTube 

Rich

• 3. Re: shake stabilizer takes 6 hours on 90 sec video?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

richalt2

Thanks for the reply. Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated. But, it still does not sound great - a 6 hours export time for a 90 seconds video stabilized clip (AVCHD.mp4 1920 x 1080 @30 progressive frames per second).

Project rendering time (either Timeline rendering for previewing or rendering in the export sense) is dramatically increased by the application of video stabilization to the video clip. This situation existed in version earlier than 13 (with previous video stabilizer) as well as in 13 (with new Shake Stabilizer). One of these days I need to look at these time considerations for the old and new stabilizer.

When you get a chance, it would be worthwhile to determine if these 6 hour exports of video stabilized clips are the norm or atypical for your workflows.

Thank you for sharing your video with us. Well done.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: shake stabilizer takes 6 hours on 90 sec video?
                richalt2 Level 1

I do not use deshaking very often.  For this specific need, Premiere got me the result I needed.

I continue to think there are terrible bugs in Premiere here.  I used to use Virtualdub, avisynth, and deshaker, but thought Premiere would be quicker...

• 5. Re: shake stabilizer takes 6 hours on 90 sec video?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

richalt2

Thanks for the reply and the great news that Premiere Elements got you the result you needed. You did well.

There is an Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Form. Not sure if you would be interested. Apparently Adobe reviews the submitted forms, but I do not think that there is usually a one on one reply.

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

There seems to be 2 of these online now. But the link above is the one that I remembered.

Best wishes

ATR